Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read some threads on SC kickstands.
My GT has a kickstand that just leans over hard. I've checked to make sure everything is normal and all bolts are there and tight. The damn stand is just short and in the city it can be worrisome.

Has anyone ever swapped their side stand? Or have any recos on what other options are out there?

Thanks in advance-

Reactions: sunstar557

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Are you the original owner of the GT and is the kick stand the original that came with the bike without modifications?
Did you make any changes to the suspension in the past?
Has the bike ever been lowered and the kick stand modified to compensate the change?

I've read some threads on SC kickstands.
My GT has a kickstand that just leans over hard. I've checked to make sure everything is normal and all bolts are there and tight. The damn stand is just short and in the city it can be worrisome.

Has anyone ever swapped their side stand? Or have any recos on what other options are out there?

Thanks in advance-

·
Official Retired Person
7,489 Posts
Here's a photo of my GT back when it was new. Only changes here are the mirrors and the Staintune mufflers. How does this compare to yours - lean angle, sidestand length, cool factor :grin2: etc.?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Assuming nothing has changed with your ride given JC's questions, it's normal for there to be quite a lean. I'll be honest, it always makes me a little nervous. My Diavel doesn't lean as much as my SC, however, we're lucky in that our SC doesn't have the problem of the mounting bolt breaking and bringing the entire ride down!

When parking the bike it's best to turn the handlebars all the way to the left. This gives the bike the widest tripod footprint to keep it stable.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not the original owner- no. I bought it used and it was always low like this. The only changes I've made that would affect it would be the Alpina wheels & Bitubo shocks that I bought from you JC!

I certainly haven't made any change to the kickstand and I can't imagine the original owner did either. But who knows-
My bike definitely leans over more than yours does in the picture you posted.
And I always tuen the front wheel to the left because I almost always use the steering lock.

Does anyone make a plate that can be attached at the foot of the stand? To give it a touch more height and a wider base to lean on?

Thanks all-

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Measure the kick stand Down the back from the Center of the bolt to the back of the footpad
also, what is the eye to eye length of the rear shocks with the bike static weight
and how much of the tube do you have showing on the top of your triple clamp?

Check all the screws.
and while you are at it
Take a picture of the kickstand

I am not the original owner- no. I bought it used and it was always low like this. The only changes I've made that would affect it would be the Alpina wheels & Bitubo shocks that I bought from you JC!

I certainly haven't made any change to the kickstand and I can't imagine the original owner did either. But who knows-
My bike definitely leans over more than yours does in the picture you posted.
And I always tuen the front wheel to the left because I almost always use the steering lock.

Does anyone make a plate that can be attached at the foot of the stand? To give it a touch more height and a wider base to lean on?

Thanks all-

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
This says it all

From L to R

Stock GT, Stock 2006, Modified for Lowered GT

If you use a 06 on a 2007 and up it will lean over more unless you lower you bike by about 1/2"

There are many variables when the bike is static on the side stand
Shock length, Sag, Tires and environment

·
Registered
36 Posts
It also happened to me during a trip.
A glance looked okay, was working properly but the bike was too skewed.
I missed a side stand bolt.
The only symptom is that it seemed to have some side play.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The only changes I've made that would affect it would be the Alpina wheels & Bitubo shocks that I bought from you JC!
Could it be that the Bitubo shocks are longer (or you've added more preload) than the stock? I have Bitubos, and when I add preload there's more lean on the kickstand.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
There is quite alot of sag with the stock rear shocks and new Bitubos come with a bit more stiff springs so it should not lean so much. If you add preload then teh bike will sit up more
The Bitubo's are exactly the same length as the stock 380MM
In any case
It turns out GTNYC bike was lowered and the kick stand was shortened,
when he installed the new adjustable forks and the stock length Bitubos he got from me the kick stand was not changed. I saw this from an email he send me when he first got the bike and the bike was lowered.
So to clear the air. The reason his was leaning over was that of a shortened side stand and stock suspension set up

Could it be that the Bitubo shocks are longer (or you've added more preload) than the stock? I have Bitubos, and when I add preload there's more lean on the kickstand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts