Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
looks interesting never saw them before and the price is right
i myself installed ohlins 30 mm cartriges traxxion dynamics make a good product as well

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've searched the Monster/Hyper forums and riders have fitted them and seem very pleased. The kit fits in with no alterations necessary. Watch this space!

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
I can't tell from the links how compression damping adjustment is dealt with in those kits. When you are installing cartridges in a set of forks that already has adjustable compression, it all works like stock. But of course our bikes don't have any provision for compression damping adjustment on the bottom of the forks.

When I bought my Traxxion AK20 kit, at that time they were rebound-adjustable only. Now, they sell them with rebound adjustment on the right fork leg and compression on the left, in both cases with the adjuster located on the top of the fork where you would normally find the rebound adjuster. That setup is a bit of a compromise because it restricts the range of adjustability (since rebound damping is fixed (non-adjustable) on one fork leg and compression damping is fixed on the other). Still, it can work well if the valving is pretty close to begin with.

I'd be interested to know what adjustments are on this GT1000 kit, and how they are configured.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Don,

I've taken the cartridges out from my SC forks and it is easy. Once the top nut is undone and the allen bolt in the bottom of the fork is removed the cartridge pulls out. The hardest part is the time taken removing the front wheel, calipers and mudguard.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
Hi Don,

I've taken the cartridges out from my SC forks and it is easy. Once the top nut is undone and the allen bolt in the bottom of the fork is removed the cartridge pulls out. The hardest part is the time taken removing the front wheel, calipers and mudguard.
Well, there is a *little* more than that involved to do the whole job. Compressing the spring to install the fork cap requires a special tool or two, or else some special cleverness. You also need something to grasp the threaded cartridge rod when you are bleeding the cartridge, and to hole the rod up when compressing the spring.

I did a step-by-step write up of how to install cartrides a few years back, complete with photos.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-classic/40883-puttin-ak-20-report-no-question.html

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Thank you YellowDuck and Duccout. I am always concerned with biting off more than I can chew. And in this case I am sure that would be so. Better to learn that now than with the bike apart. :)

-don

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Don, just pull the fork legs off and send them to a suspension shop for installation if you're not comfortable doing it yourself. It's worth doing. Those stock forks are horrible. You'll be amazed at the improvement. I had a box-stock set of Showas from an S2R1000 on my bike and that was a huge improvement. The kit should be even better.

Debby
ps - I still have the stock forks from my bike sitting in the garage gathering dust. Let me know if you want them. You could send them out, have the kit put in, and not have any downtime.

·
Unleaded caffeine please...
149 Posts
I can't tell from the links how compression damping adjustment is dealt with in those kits. When you are installing cartridges in a set of forks that already has adjustable compression, it all works like stock. But of course our bikes don't have any provision for compression damping adjustment on the bottom of the forks.

When I bought my Traxxion AK20 kit, at that time they were rebound-adjustable only. Now, they sell them with rebound adjustment on the right fork leg and compression on the left, in both cases with the adjuster located on the top of the fork where you would normally find the rebound adjuster. That setup is a bit of a compromise because it restricts the range of adjustability (since rebound damping is fixed (non-adjustable) on one fork leg and compression damping is fixed on the other). Still, it can work well if the valving is pretty close to begin with.

I'd be interested to know what adjustments are on this GT1000 kit, and how they are configured.
Spoke with Fabrizio over at Omnia.
Sounds like they are similar in setup to the AK's (i.e. Preload on both forks, but compression on one and rebound on the other).

Will order a pair and see.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Spoke with Fabrizio over at Omnia.
Sounds like they are similar in setup to the AK's (i.e. Preload on both forks, but compression on one and rebound on the other).

Will order a pair and see.
I have the AK20 kit installed by Traxxion Dynamics and I have compression and rebound in each leg. They put a set of there preload/compression/rebound adjustment caps on because I didn't want one legged rebound/compression.

BTW, I'm going to end up selling my AK-20 forks in the near future (1-2 months +/-) as I'm going to a full 1198 Ohlins front end (wanted new brakes, needed new wheels, came across a great deal...same old story ;)

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
FWIW, Sportbike Track Gear sold and installed the Ohlins cartridge kit in my stock GT forks and now the GT feels like it's got real SUSPENSION! Combo'd with the DU 707 shocks, I just had SDS here in Portland set 'em up and I can really feel the difference from the Sachs/Showa setup I was running before. Refined, controlled, and yet firm AND compliant. Not cheap, but it works SO well!:D

·
Registered
300 Posts
FWIW, Sportbike Track Gear sold and installed the Ohlins cartridge kit in my stock GT forks and now the GT feels like it's got real SUSPENSION! Combo'd with the DU 707 shocks, I just had SDS here in Portland set 'em up and I can really feel the difference from the Sachs/Showa setup I was running before. Refined, controlled, and yet firm AND compliant. Not cheap, but it works SO well!:D
Which Ohlins Cartridge kit?

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
I dont know much about all this suspension stuff, but if you install say that Ohlins cartridge kit, is there any real difference between that and just buying ohlins forks complete (other than of course I expect that to cost more, as there is more product your buying)? You do get the neat-o Ohlins yellow tubes i guess if you go with the full kit, but is it still basically the same at the end of the day?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I dont know much about all this suspension stuff, but if you install say that Ohlins cartridge kit, is there any real difference between that and just buying ohlins forks complete (other than of course I expect that to cost more, as there is more product your buying)? You do get the neat-o Ohlins yellow tubes i guess if you go with the full kit, but is it still basically the same at the end of the day?
In many situations, the valving is different. The Ohlins forks will have coated sliders, so that's an advantage.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts