Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, so I am fixing up an old gt1000 and took apart the wheels to have them powder coated; the spokes are garbage and need replacement so does anyone have any idea where I can by the correct spokes?

Ill try to keep updating the thread as I start getting parts back, here are some pics so far

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
hey guys, so I am fixing up an old gt1000 and took apart the wheels to have them powder coated
If they are the stock wheels the came originally with the GT, now would be the time to replace them with something - anything - lighter. The change in ride quality is IMMENSE :grin2:

Talk to JC. He can show you your options.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
You have just got to change the rims to alloy ones while they are apart!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately right now we are just fixing it up trying to make it look a bit better, the rim is an option but I'd still need to figure out where to get the correct rims and spokes.

Didn't realize the pics did not upload:

we took the bike apart to clean it up, had a bunch of small parts powder coated and now we are about to start putting it back together.

we are mostly replacing and cleaning up parts right now and adding a couple of small mods

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I would buy a pair of Morad aluminum rims a a set of stainless steel spokes... and use the original hubs of course

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Black Rims and Hubs Conversion

Here is a fully converted set of Aluminum wheels

Rims stripped polished and Hard Anodized and Polished
Stainless Steel Nipples are Black zinc plated
Spokes are Stainless
Hubs are stripped polished and Painted Black

Cost is well below New set of black wheels from Ducati

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
And the paint on the hubs should last longer than the original Grimeca coating!

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Fall-winter projects are around the corner

Fall-winter projects are around the corner
JC/PAKBIKES the Sport Classic Specialty Source can help

Clean up the old hazy rims with rusty, corroded, pitted Ducati spokes and nipples.
Send your wheels in for a makeover

For $999 plus shipping we will:
Strip, Blast and polish your old rims and anodize the rims, Black or Silver.
See images Here

Install New STAINLESS STEEL SPOKES & NIPPLES. Choice of Silver or Black finish or mix and match
Clean up hubs. The condition of the hubs will vary so if they are in really bad shape we suggest repainting

We’ll take all these and Lace and true the whole thing back together for a stunning fresh set of wheels

Average lead times is 2-3 weeks

SPOKES and NIPPLES
PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA

List of options and upgrades:
New Rims from Excel Rear rim $425 Front rim $300

Repaint HUBS $420 for the set

Polished hubs. This is a special order item $490

New Hubs Black or Gray Front:$325 Rear:$385

You can choose to send in a set of hubs and get the rim and spokes from us and we'll build a complete wheel.

-TUBELESS WHEEL option is available with a 3 year no leak warranty for $275

Contact JC/PAK Bikes for more info and detail

·
Registered
387 Posts
hey guys, so I am fixing up an old gt1000 and took apart the wheels to have them powder coated; the spokes are garbage and need replacement so does anyone have any idea where I can by the correct spokes?

Ill try to keep updating the thread as I start getting parts back, here are some pics so far
I'm looking at converting my GT wheels to Alu rims and SS spokes. Woodyswheelworks can lace Excel or Morad rims to my OEM hubs with SS spokes.

Apparently the Excel rims come polished with a proprietary clear anodize, but unfortunately have a red Excel logo laser etched on the side of the rims. It can be removed by stripping and polishing the rim, but the non excel anodize treatments are known to come out cloudy according to Woodys. One could just strip and polish it, but that's less durable without the clear anodized finish.

The Morad rims come polished without clear anodize. They could be clear anodized, but Woodys tell me it could come out cloudy. Seems the proprietary Excel anodize finish is superior.

One option would be get the Excel rims and put up with the laser etched red logo, or find a way to conceal it with something less prominent ?
Any ideas ?

Attached is a pic of the laser etched logo.

Excel Laser Etched Logo

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
The anodizing from Excel is not bad.
To remove the red excel logo on the silver or the gold yellow logo on the black and make it silver or black is challenging but we have done it. The cost to remove make it more.
If you Strip, polish and anodized the cost will be the same as ordering the rims I am offering.
The quality of the polished finish with the clear or black anodizng is very good.

In December I will have the same excel rims that are made for me but without the brand logo and made for tubeless option. Something new from excel that no one is offering. The cost will be about the same as the excel that is being mentioned.

I do not recommend powder coating the rims.
Many do it but the heat that is used for powder coating is not good for aluminum
They may claim that it is below 400ºF but if it is not then the aluminum becomes soft and will bend easily. It is a risk.

The images I have posted should show how good the finished wheels look

I'm looking at converting my GT wheels to Alu rims and SS spokes. Woodyswheelworks can lace Excel or Morad rims to my OEM hubs with SS spokes.

Apparently the Excel rims come polished with a proprietary clear anodize, but unfortunately have a red Excel logo laser etched on the side of the rims. It can be removed by stripping and polishing the rim, but the non excel anodize treatments are known to come out cloudy according to Woodys. One could just strip and polish it, but that's less durable without the clear anodized finish.

The Morad rims come polished without clear anodize. They could be clear anodized, but Woodys tell me it could come out cloudy. Seems the proprietary Excel anodize finish is superior.

One option would be get the Excel rims and put up with the laser etched red logo, or find a way to conceal it with something less prominent ?
Any ideas ?

Attached is a pic of the laser etched logo.

Excel Laser Etched Logo

·
Registered
387 Posts
The anodizing from Excel is not bad.
To remove the red excel logo on the silver or the gold yellow logo on the black and make it silver or black is challenging but we have done it. The cost to remove make it more.
If you Strip, polish and anodized the cost will be the same as ordering the rims I am offering.
The quality of the polished finish with the clear or black anodizng is very good.

In December I will have the same excel rims that are made for me but without the brand logo and made for tubeless option. Something new from excel that no one is offering. The cost will be about the same as the excel that is being mentioned.

I do not recommend powder coating the rims.
Many do it but the heat that is used for powder coating is not good for aluminum
They may claim that it is below 400ºF but if it is not then the aluminum becomes soft and will bend easily. It is a risk.

The images I have posted should show how good the finished wheels look
Sounds like a good service you're offering.
As I'm Cambodia, I'm ideally looking for an Italian based wheel builder that could fit and supply Alu rims and SS spokes/nipples to my GT hubs, then have Bartfactory in Italy seal them. Cuts down on shipping costs for me.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
We offer the same type of service
Rims, spokes and nipples, new or used hubs
Tubeless sealed with a warranty.
They don't offer color change option to the hubs
If you are shipping the hub or wheel to Italy, they will tax you. We don't.
Our turnaround is way faster than Italy.
Shipping cost is probably the same round trip.

I've dealt with and know these guys in Italy that offer this service for many years.

Sounds like a good service you're offering.
As I'm Cambodia, I'm ideally looking for an Italian based wheel builder that could fit and supply Alu rims and SS spokes/nipples to my GT hubs, then have Bartfactory in Italy seal them. Cuts down on shipping costs for me.

·
Registered
387 Posts
We offer the same type of service
Rims, spokes and nipples, new or used hubs
Tubeless sealed with a warranty.
They don't offer color change option to the hubs
If you are shipping the hub or wheel to Italy, they will tax you. We don't.
Our turnaround is way faster than Italy.
Shipping cost is probably the same round trip.

I've dealt with and know these guys in Italy that offer this service for many years.
I assumed you shipped the completed wheels to Italy for the bartubeless process ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts