Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone modified the stock seat by shaving the cushioning foam or add ing foam to the front and recovering. If I could take about 4" off the front of the hump and add some to the front sloping back from the tank I'd have a perfect fit for me. Thanks, rick

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I cut the sides of my GT seat down to expose the frame rails and angled the edge foam to make it look proper. Although, I still want to shave the seat foam down and move the pillion rise back an inch or so for more leg room (I'm really tall). When I get around to that I'm also going to build up the nose and make sure the seat/tank gap fits properly (read: better than OEM).

The only problem I ran into was finding a stapler powerful enough to drive the staples into the plastic. I gave it a try with two different pro-am electric models from THD to no avail. Then I contacted a local upholstery shop who restapled it for me for a small fee. They had a good laugh at my expense, but were understanding and cool about the whole thing:) In fact, the owner makes custom motorcycle seats all the time and gave me some pointers for my next phase of seat mods.

For the DIY seat mod'r, here's a link to everything you could want to know about mc seats, foam, sit bones, etc.:

http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/index.php

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
I cut the sides of my GT seat down to expose the frame rails and angled the edge foam to make it look proper. Although, I still want to shave the seat foam down and move the pillion rise back an inch or so for more leg room (I'm really tall). When I get around to that I'm also going to build up the nose and make sure the seat/tank gap fits properly (read: better than OEM).

The only problem I ran into was finding a stapler powerful enough to drive the staples into the plastic. I gave it a try with two different pro-am electric models from THD to no avail. Then I contacted a local upholstery shop who restapled it for me for a small fee. They had a good laugh at my expense, but were understanding and cool about the whole thing:) In fact, the owner makes custom motorcycle seats all the time and gave me some pointers for my next phase of seat mods.

For the DIY seat mod'r, here's a link to everything you could want to know about mc seats, foam, sit bones, etc.:

DIYMotorcycleSeat.com - Home Page

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Nice exhaust.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Thanks for noticing:) Was wondering if anyone would pick up on that ;)

Here are a few more shots. Still in progress, though, as I still need to remove the grey stickers in the rear.

Imagine my surprise when I fitted my favorite Termi exhaust (shotgun) to my GT and found out that it fits!! Clears the swingarm at full extension by a good inch and a half. So, of course I had to get it ceramic coated inside/out and polish the endcaps before repacking em with new fiberglass. To make it work, though, I did have to re-route/flip the rear brake line like the PS/Mono setup (over the swingarm). Oh yeah, the exhaust bracket actually fits the second hole on the outside. Just had to get creative with bolts and internal rubber bushing sizes for the exhaust mount. Needless to say, I'm really happy the way it's turning out:) and the sound of the Termi shotguns is even more awesome than the GT Termis I have.

Also, I've been bitten by the front end bug and am gathering parts for an over-the-top Ohlins Superbike front end/new wheels/tires/etc. Robsy's bike is responsible for the new approach:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Incredible Tmnstr.. just incredible. looks really good. you should be proud of that mod.. your GT just got even more sportier..

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Incredible Tmnstr.. just incredible. looks really good. you should be proud of that mod.. your GT just got even more sportier..
Thanks for the props:)

I've been working steadily toward the image I have in my mind for my GT. I wasn't sure at first if the shotgun Termis would look right on her (I love them on SM70s S1k)...until, that is, I mounted them up for the first time! I think the asymmetrical look really brings out the retro feel of the bike. And the sound is just amazing! Powerful and low at idle, and ferocious when on the throttle (no DB killers). I can't wait to hear what it sounds like after I install my DucShop HyperStack kit and PCIII;)

Thanks again FW,

Tmnstr

·
Registered
152 Posts
T....... man those pipes turned out amaaaaaazing. Can I buy them back? lol :)

Awesome looking bike.

DIYMotorcycleSeat.com - Home Page

Cheers,

Tmnstr

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.