Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I started by doing something stupid and locked my bike with the tail light on so my battery was dead at work. No problem, I pull the seat and look for the battery terminals to jump it and they are buried. So, two questions:

1) can this bike be pop started with the immobilizer?

2) please tell me that I don't have to pull the gas tank for access to the battery. How do I get to the terminals? I was looking for a remote jump start post with no luck. If I have to remove the battery is there an easy way? I just had my knee replaced and I am having a devil of a time crawling around the bike sorting this out.

Thanks...I know it can't be that hard, but I am sure trying.

·
Registered
702 Posts
OK, I started by doing something stupid and locked my bike with the tail light on so my battery was dead at work. No problem, I pull the seat and look for the battery terminals to jump it and they are buried. So, two questions:

1) can this bike be pop started with the immobilizer?

2) please tell me that I don't have to pull the gas tank for access to the battery. How do I get to the terminals? I was looking for a remote jump start post with no luck. If I have to remove the battery is there an easy way? I just had my knee replaced and I am having a devil of a time crawling around the bike sorting this out.

Thanks...I know it can't be that hard, but I am sure trying.
Others are more experienced, but I got to the terminals easily from behind the wheel once I removed the plastic cover on top of the battery. 2007 GT. No tools required.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Remove the two bolts (8MM or 10MM???) that hold the battery box to the frame and pivot it down to get access to the terminals. Remove the rubber strap that holds the battery box lid and you'll have easy access to the battery right above the rear tire.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Yep, I accessed the battery exactly the way jborders5 describes.

As far as bump-starting: fuel-injected bikes with fuel pumps and electronic ignitions will not bump start if the battery is too low. Old points and carb bikes would start with much lower batteries. You can try it, and you've got a chance, but if the battery is too low, you'll have no ignition and fuel pressure.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Many of us, when first we access the battery, add wiring for a charger. In most cases this will not be a large enough gauge to actually "jump start," but even a short time on a charger can often get enough juice in the battery for a start.

That same connection can also be used for an appropriately jacked electric vest or other electric add ons.

On the SS I have a Powerjack socket which serves all these purposes. Its frame size does not match that on the GT otherwise I'd move it to this bike, but the company likely makes one that does. If so it would be a good investment.

-don

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
OK, I started by doing something stupid and locked my bike with the tail light on so my battery was dead at work.QUOTE]

You're not the first, I did the same thing when I'd first bought my GT while I was on Vacation no less!:eek: What you probably did was go one "click" too far when shutting off your bike, thus leaving the system in "park" mode. The tail light and a small bulb in your headlight reflector continue to burn. It's an easy mistake.

You can actually jump start the bike with regular jumper cables by removing the lid on the battery box and connecting appropriately. It's a tight fit but it can be done. If you haven't found it already, the battery sits directly ahead of the rear wheel, it's cover is held on by two rubber things that stretch over some buttons.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I've actually done this twice. The first time I didn't realize my error and thought it was a problem with the battery.

The battery terminals can be accessed pretty easily by reaching over the rear wheel and pulling off the battery box lid. It's held on by an elastic strap that can be a pain to reattach if it separates from the lid. I jumped mine off both times like this.

It's not difficult, but like Riderjeff said, it is kind of tight in there. So if kneeling is a problem, you might want to ask a friend for help with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! Using the advice above it was a simple process. Using an 8mm nutdriver and a 5mm allen key, I was able to access the battery box and tilt it forward. THe bike is now running again and I am back in love. However, after crawling around on my new knee (replaced 12/8) for 1/2 hour, Ibuprofen has been my friend this weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts