Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doh! I managed to drop the bike on the left side after running out of road and talent. A slow drop but the side stand mounting bolt took the impact and snapped out the top of the lug on the engine case.

I don't want to pull the engine out and apart.

Has anybody had to do a similar repair?

I still have the broken half of the lug. Any experience with welding it back on without pulling the engine out?

Doh!

·
Registered
361 Posts
can you take a pic? i'm having trouble understanding what's going on. The arm broke off the stand mount or did the mount break off the engine case?

the kickstand mount is held into the engine case with 2 bolts. Did the 2 bolts break off and leave the threaded part in the case? can you grab the remainder with a pair of vise grips?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Que Lastima (bummer)!!! Sounds like the engine case is actually broken but not leaking? Major surgery or re-engineering are your options. They made a center stand for the GT but I don't know if it requires the same mounting points. Worth checking.........

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Snapped engine case lug - more detail

can you take a pic? i'm having trouble understanding what's going on. The arm broke off the stand mount or did the mount break off the engine case?

the kickstand mount is held into the engine case with 2 bolts. Did the 2 bolts break off and leave the threaded part in the case? can you grab the remainder with a pair of vise grips?
No photo handy. The bolt is the larger one, the front one of the two. The bolt bent in the engine case and snapped out the upper half of the lug off the casing. The bolt has not broken. I epoxied up the lug with the bolt in place to ride home. The case is not cracked and does not leak oil. I think an expert welder could get at it if it is technically possible. I am no expert.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Ducati use a poxy system for mounting the side-stand. Tou can get it welded as I have seen other guys get it done, but you need to find a good welder!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I see, so the front kickstand bolt hole in the engine case is broken off. Others can chime in but I don't think you can weld the case while the engine is assembled. it's difficult to weld aluminum well in the first place. the area must be cleaned up etc. you could possible use a threaded insert but you'll have to drill out the hole and it depends on how much material is left.

for reference both of the mounting holes are the same diameter, the bolt head style is a little different.

I think I might recommend that you just switch over to the GT1000 center stand for a while. it doesn't use the front mounting hole (the trashed one). at least then you can have your bike securely standing upright.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Had this problem with a 900ss and I got it welded up. Make sure you find a good welder who know his stuff. My guy does custom fabrication with bikes and knows his stuff. He decided it was better to build it back up then to weld the broken piece back on. I remember him saying the tricky part was not to let it heat soak.

·
Registered
286 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words

That being said, if the bolt or a portion of it is in the case and needs removed, remove it. Removal is not hard with proper extractors and good methods.

·
Registered
162 Posts
the big problem as stated is the heat generated during repair at the weld area
it is 1100 + degrees plus the case would have to be degreased or you will have
perosity and a repair sure to fail. you need someone who knows what he is doing if it is a clean break you may be able to aluminum braze the piece back on .the temp is much lower at 800 degrees still case temp is a concern but
distortion would be much less

1 - 9 of 9 Posts