Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow MS'ers.
I seek help with my GT 1000 which died 1/2 mile from home, it wasn't electrical, it just stopped running. So, got it home, yes I have spark at all 4 plugs. I also pulled cam belt covers just to check obvious, all looks as it should. Next I pulled the Corse Dynamics fuel pump assembly hoping it was a disconnected rubber line from the pump to the filter...alas, its on there as it should. Now on to the strange symptoms:
1. Low fuel light comes on at key turn then is out even w empty tank and assembly in my hands. Wires to the sender look okay and I disconnected it, reconnected it, so that little sender appears to be bad. It is related to the bike not getting fuel? IDK? Fuel pump whirrls so yes, that's getting power. I have yet to change filter, all internals looked very clean however and I wouldn't believe a fuel filter would just acutely shut off fuel to engine?
2. I'll hit the starter button and the starter motor will do its thing and still turn with my thumb away from the button! Yes it will stop spinning with kill switch. Can someone explain if that's a normal thing with no combustion?
Any help with narrowing down what I believe is a fuel issue is appreciated!

·
Registered
737 Posts
... I'll hit the starter button and the starter motor will do its thing and still turn with my thumb away from the button!
This part sounds like normal behavior for a Sport Classic starter. Turn on key, push starter button briefly, release it and the engine cranks until it starts. You don't need to hold it down until the engine fires.
You could disconnect the fuel line at the throttle body, stick it in a container and see if there is fuel being delivered when the key is turned on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that info. I bought the GT 1 year ago, did a bunch of needed work, rode it a whopping 1 mile or so, down the street sort of thing. It's in beautiful condition now and so coincidental this list of things is occurring.
1. Starter spinning on its own: This isn't an issue, let's move along.
2. Low fuel light won't respond even with assembly in my hands and plugged into the connector. I'll jump it and report back.
3. Yes I'll disconnect the fuel lines at intake/injector and report back.

Lastly any advice on testing injectors?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oh geez, awesome to hear. I jumped the 2 part connector and yes, the light did work. I'll give it the 20-30 second test and we'll see. Thanks for the help on that and still hoping for some guidance on narrowing down why no gas?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Next I pulled the Corse Dynamics fuel pump assembly !

Do you have the Corse Dynamics fuel pump plate with the chrome plated metal quick disconnect fittings? I have them on my bike and ran into a problem with the quick disconnects. The small shutoff valve inside the quick disconnect is cheap plastic and failed and wasn't allowing fuel past the fittings. I found if I pushed in against the fitting it would let enough fuel past to run but as soon as I let go it would shut off and starve the engine. When you have the lines off at the injector, if you don't get good flow push in on those quick disconnect fittings and see if the flow improves.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VF, Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm glad you mentioned this because when I had the assembly (yes, same as pictured, same as yours) sitting on a rag on the bench, I saw that little off white plastic piece surrounded by a spring. I thought oh, just press it back into the fitting but I saw the O-ring inside the fitting. I couldn't get it back in so rather than force, I took both in and out fittings off the plate and saw how the little plastic piece was held by the O-ring. So, back in business on that. Maybe it will be worth putting everything back together and just add gas rather than continuing the chase? That would be pretty nice and thanks again for taking the time to comment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Met; for sure old gas. Do you suppose that in of itself would make an engine just quit? Plugs are dry.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi Met; for sure old gas. Do you suppose that in of itself would make an engine just quit? Plugs are dry.
Hmmm, not saying that's your problem, but I'd get the old gas out of there and put fresh in. If it was really old (and bad gas to begin with), could have some varnishing type problems causing issues with the fuel injectors, etc.

I'm not sure best place to drain it from (some others here may be able to help with a suggestion), but I'd definitely get some fresh petrol in there. At least eliminate that variable.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hmmm, not saying that's your problem, but I'd get the old gas out of there and put fresh in. If it was really old (and bad gas to begin with), could have some varnishing type problems causing issues with the fuel injectors, etc.

I'm not sure best place to drain it from (some others here may be able to help with a suggestion), but I'd definitely get some fresh petrol in there. At least eliminate that variable.
He could just siphon out as much as possible, then put in fresh gas. That's what I did when I let my PS sit for too long. Before trying to crank it with gas that had been sitting for well over a year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Next step I seek your all expertise: when I disconnect fuel lines from injectors and test fuel flow w pump assembly back together and powered up, what should I expect for flow?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Belter I just sprayed cleaner into intakes and yes it runs. Texting w a non moto buddy, he too suggested while the tank is apart and has simply a splash of old gas, pour it out and go fetch a can of non ethanol. Remote chance of success but I’ll report back in a couple of hours. Thanks for your involvement.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Belter I just sprayed cleaner into intakes and yes it runs. Texting w a non moto buddy, he too suggested while the tank is apart and has simply a splash of old gas, pour it out and go fetch a can of non ethanol. Remote chance of success but I’ll report back in a couple of hours. Thanks for your involvement.
I wonder if adding one of the fuel treatment additives might help with cleaning out the tank? So do everything you just said above, but also add in some fuel injection system treatment with the fresh gas ... I dunno, maybe one of the Lucas products? That might help to clean out the entire system including the injectors, regulator, pump, etc..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Metman you win. I got it running w 91 non ethanol. It’s not perfect but it’s trying. Rex, agreed, a splash of Tectron can’t hurt? I thank you all for the help and I’ll report back w updates.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds good. I just got back from running it around backroads, it’s not smooth but becoming a little better. I suppose the more fuel I can have flow through, that is a plus. Again I thank each of you for the support and will check in w an update.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A little update:
The GT is running but it's not completely happy. It still feels like it is starved proper fueling and it pops like crazy. Since posting last, I've dumped in around 1.5-2 ounces of Lucas injector cleaner and added a small splash of 91 non ethanol. It's a little difficult to start, and if I give it a rev, as it comes back to idle, it will stall. FYI, I never did disconnect lines to injectors. At this point I'm thinking I may need to in order to eliminate the possibility of a gelatinous obstruction? Or perhaps just be patient and keep running it to keep fuel flowing? Any other angles of approach, I'd appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts