Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have replaced the internals and caps on Showa forks with those from a GSXR, a maybe helpful update. Under the Suzuki cap is a washer that the pins from the preload adjuster push on. Below that is a nylon spacer, but the diameter is too small to properly support the Racetech spring for an SS that most people use in the conversion. I used a flat washer that was the right diameter which was one of the washers I removed from the forks. They are not strong enough. When I removed the caps I found one of the washers severely bent. Probably from a mammoth pothole I hit a couple of years ago, but still. It wasn’t going to cause a catastrophic failure, only muck up preload settings. I found some standard construction washers with a hole that fit well on the cap, coincidentally the outer diameter was just right. I would guess they were about 10 mm thick, so plenty strong. I’m pretty sure I was supposed to use those thin stock washers as the spring top, but I should have used something thicker in the first place. If you decide to do this conversion, I’d think about it.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Thanks for the update. I'm many months away from doing mine as it will be at least that long before it is back together enough to even consider......sean

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sorry for bumping the old post, but have I have a question about this mod. Do the GSXR internals work in the non-adjustable showa forks on the 1995 CR? I have access to a set of 2004 GSXR forks locally but I need to know if they'll work on the non-adjustable showas before I grab them

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
they will fit, but there's no provision for the compression adjusters. you could get the cartridges modified to be single function, then you only need the top adjusters. or drill a bleed hole in the bottom of the cartridge for compression bleed off.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just what I needed, thx much. Perhaps will hold off then and go the racetech gold valve route.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts