Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
From what I've read, new oil and springs selected for your weight and riding style make a noticeable improvement. Racetech gold valves if you want to spend a bit more. This mod didn't cost much more than that, and is externally adjustable . I believe you have to take the forks apart to adjust the gold valves ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks to pajazo and duc96cr for writing up your experiences. As a result I pulled the trigger on a pair 04-05 legs that arrived recently. I still need to order springs though. I'll hope to install the cartridges in some Showa forks on my 900FE and if I'm reading this correctly I should order the 340 length spring. Is that the regular race tech length for the 900ss?

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Yes, that's what was listed. Use the mounts on the GSXR cartridge to mount them above the cartridge instead of around the cartridge as they are now. I used one supplied washer between the stock nylon spacer and the spring because the diameter of the spacer was smaller than the spring. Back your preload adjusters all the way out. Good luck.

·
Registered
336 Posts
From what I've read, new oil and springs selected for your weight and riding style make a noticeable improvement. Racetech gold valves if you want to spend a bit more. This mod didn't cost much more than that, and is externally adjustable . I believe you have to take the forks apart to adjust the gold valves ?
If you have the Showa forks with the externally adjustable low speed and rebound adjusters yo do not need to take the forks apart to make these adjustments. It is only if you wish to adjust/change the shims in the gold valve shim stack that you need to pull apart the forks. You would have to do the same is yo wish to change the shims in the Suzuki cartridges.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have the RaceTech gold valves and RaceTech 80kg/mm springs in our project F.E. and they seem to work very well. Huge improvement over stock! But wondering if the Suzuki cartridges might give another step in performance? Any one done any comparisons?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Oh boy....

This could be yet another thing to add to the never-ending list of stuff. Still have to get all the parts on that I have already : )
Forks are kinda wooden. I was thinking about upgrades. Have the Gold Valves and Race Tech springs.
Following this thread with interest....

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
The GSXR cartridges flow more fluid as the rod diameter is larger. I believe this probably results in better shock action when the forks are asked to move abruptly. I have gold valves on my Harley non adjustable Showas . They did improve the ride, but I need to play with them to get the damping right. They must be removed to adjust.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts