Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taken from another motorcycle forum of which I am a member. I thought it might be useful to this group as well. ;)

1. staggered formation when slabbing, but when we are riding hard in the twisties, I want my whole lane, and intend to use it, so single file por favor!

2. Inevitably, there are fast people and there are those who want to ride slower. Not a problem. Ride your own ride and wave faster folks past you on the straights, We will stop before turning to get the group back together, no one gets left behind. If you come to a stop sign after falling behind, and no one is there stopped, continue straight, it means we did not turn off.

3. If you feel you must make a pass of another rider, do it on a straight and not in a corner. This is not the track, and there are very few people I trust enough to allow to pass me in a curve, and those people know who they are.

4. Hand signals- If the leader gives a hand signal of any kind, do it as well your self to signal those behind you. I use Left turn, right turn, I pat towards the ground to slow down, If I tap my tail section it means to fall into single file and follow. If I pat my helmet it means cop sighted. If I point at my eyes it means you have a light out, if I point at my gas tank, it means I need fuel. If I put a foot out on either side, look where it is pointed- it means there is something in the road, some sort of debris.

5. Gas- if you need gas, pull alongside the rider ahead of you (in a straight please!!) and point at your tank. Everyone should do this one at a time to let the leader know eventually that a fuel stop is needed.

6. Stunts - Sure, a little wheelie here and there is going to happen. Use your head though. If you are going to bust out a big old stand up, pull out in the other lane and do it, so you decrease the risk of hitting one of us.

7. Law Enforcement- We do not condone evading pursuit. We will not support your actions in doing this should you choose to do so. Personally, I will not share info with LEOs should I get pulled over and you decide to run, but do not expect me to take off with you. I feel that running is a bad choice, but it is ultimately, your choice. Keep in mind that it is a felony and you will go to jail if you are caught. AGAIN, WE DO NOT CONDONE EVADING LAW ENFORCEMENT!!!

8. Passing the leader- On a pre-scheduled group ride, do not pass the leader unless you have already discussed it and set it up to happen, or you are waved by. If you still decide that you have to pass, do not necessarily expect that the group will follow you. If you want to lead a group ride, simply call one out and schedule it.

9. Gear- Please wear your gear, dress for the crash. Wear a helmet and jacket at a bare minimum. If you are unable to come up with the needed equipment, call or pm me, I have some extra gear if needed. It is your personal choice of what gear you wear, but it is my personal choice as to whether or not I will ride with you. Don't dress for the ride, dress for the slide.

10. The route- If you are planning to lead a ride, when you post your intent please also post the route. At that point, you've established that you are leading the ride and own the route. From that point forward only the ride leader should alter the route. Also, it's always a good idea to pre-ride a new route or a route that isn't regularly exercised. MODOT is notorious for random chip'n'seal along some of our favorite roads.

I cannot emphasize enough that you need to ride at your own pace. Do not try to keep up if you are not comfortable and capable of doing so. We will not leave you behind. Our groups can be very diverse. Do not ever feel pressured to keep up. I want everyone to have fun and to do so at your own pace. No one will be left behind, no one will be ridiculed for the speed they choose to ride. Everyone has their own comfort level. Stay in it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
guidelines. . .

Riding along side of someone on a narrow two lane road to signal you need gas is not safe, for either rider. Putting yourself and the rider ahead of you side by side is dangerous and unnecessary. The slower riders could never catch up to the faster riders, and it puts undue pressure on them to ride beyond their skill and safety levels.

A better method is riding for 60-100 miles, or 1 1/2 or 2 hours max, and having a rest stop/gas stop. Different motorcycles and different riding styles both have different ranges of gas mileage. Less experienced riders are not accustom to riding long periods of time. Start the ride with full tanks, or nearly so. You should have more frequent stops in the afternoon, because everyone is more tired than when they started.

Everyone should also keep "at least" 2 seconds between themselves and the rider in front of them. These rides are not races, don't crowd the person in front of you. Can you stop at anytime during a ride and be in complete control of your motorcycle? Your life may depend on it.

Fred

·
Registered
322 Posts
Desmo

I like your idea to check at the next turns on the back of the pack is great. The other idea of filling the tanks up and then checking on people later in the day is wrong. If a guy goes down, that little check waiting for the slower guys is good. If a person don't show at the next turn a guy can go back find him and call for help and maybe save a life. Two years ago in Bixby Freds way would have killed some one. We had 1 helicopter and two ambulances clean that miss up. Also if the pace is humping along the last guy sometimes don't see the turn to for back in the pack. That is why when riding with Fred the end guys always look out for the last guy, hang back to make sure they make the turn. Sorry Fred but this needs to be talked about. You do a good job, but the go long and never look back don't always work. Earlier in the year I remember hanging way back to make sure vito made the right turn choice. If the leader would have waited at the turn everyone would of new which way to go. :)

·
Registered
735 Posts
guidelines. . .

You misunderstand me, when I say stop for gas/rest 60-100 miles, 1 1/2 - 2 hours intervals. I did not say I would not wait at turns to see the last rider. I was pointing out the dangers of having the slower riders trying to catch the guy ahead to get along side to signal he needs gas. And so on up the line to the leader. Not the right thing to have to keep up with the faster guys, for any reason.

Fred

·
Registered
307 Posts
When going through twisties Fred always looks back and so do I. If Fred is ahead of me I can see him looking in his mirrors. Then I look in my mirrors and make sure I spot the last guy. If fred is still looking in his mirrors I give him a thumbs up to let him know everyone is there.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Kool

I was thinking back in May the rides were like I described. Glad it got fixed. Then again everybody was new at the group thing. Those times were just stuck in the back of my mind. Not trying to cause any trouble. Have fun.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I was thinking back in May the rides were like I described. Glad it got fixed. Then again everybody was new at the group thing. Those times were just stuck in the back of my mind. Not trying to cause any trouble. Have fun.
hell, that ride in may was my first group ride. i was beyond rusty! you've guys have helped me by leaps and bounds since then with etiquette on the road. i still have plenty to learn too :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts