Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Titanium would be rad but it would only add bling factor (and I guess passenger hauling capability) since it's heavier than aluminum.

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
Jackie,Your correct, sold by weight. You can however look up the weight per foot and estimate the total weight of your project. Then you can experiment with different diameter tubing and wall thickness as well as material types. Also if you redesign from OEM you can also determine the weight differences of varying the design. Titanium is much denser (heavy) the aluminum or steel. But you end up with a lighter finished project because you can reduce wall thickness and possibly tube diameter. Titanium can be purchased reasonably if you search. I purchased my exhaust flange material off eBay without problem. Additional Cost of using ti is everything is much harder to drill, mill, and cut... it takes a toll on the tooling. I have a grand idea of building a ti subframe for my NSR, but lots of other projects With a higher priority.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah I guess you could go through all of that work and expense to sav an extra 100g but aluminum is the clear winner in this scenario.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Carbon4Us is DM Telai subframe and one I had order and also said they needed a minimum of 10 to restart production. Desmo-Racing I contacted before posting this thread and they said the same thing so not sure if you have any new info on availability?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts