Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so after two years of wrangling, waiting and receiving all sorts of reasons from vendors and suppliers why they couldn't fulfill my order(s) for an aluminum subframe for Hypermotard 1100, I've decided to pursue this option.

I am gauging firm, concrete interest and require a minimum of ten (10) confirmations in order to even think about starting the process to have the aluminum subframes produced from one of the suppliers. I do not have specifics on price, but they will most likely be, at minimum $400 USD, possibly much more and that does not include shipping. There is NO firm price at this stage!

Please don't add you name to the list if you are not 100% you will purchase a subframe and are not willing to put forth a full deposit (once finalized) while awaiting subframe production. I have had conversations with a few US based vendors regarding this and will most likely go through one of them as I really don't want to deal with the whole process, so don't think you'd be sending me the money as an order deposit, but a reputable vendor.

These subframes save approximately 8 lbs compared to the stock steel subframe. Use the search function for other info to familiarize yourself with the subframe.

So, if you are in for a lightweight aluminum subframe for your 2008 - 2012 Hypermotard 1100 then please reply to this thread and will start compiling the list of names.

Commitments: (2 / 10)

-corsemoto
-fastgas

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd like one but the fly-away price would need to be finalized. There are still vendors in Europe making and selling these to order.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Love one but im in the uk....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Comfy, it's early stages but would be possible to ship International, shipping cost dependent of course and see how things play out with interest. Thanks!

I'd like one but the fly-away price would need to be finalized. There are still vendors in Europe making and selling these to order.

I'm curious to know who you can get a subframe from in Europe made to order and delivered because I've been through several and no one is producing them one-off at this point that I know of. To clarify, the subframes would be produced by one of the Italian suppliers that made them previously. I'd much rather just be able to buy one outright than have to try to put together a minimum order commitment.

Once the vendor sees there is a commitment for a minimum number of subframes, they will discuss details with supplier. I expect pricing to reasonable and not exorbitant but have to make up the numbers first.

Your interest is enough at this point to be added to the list, nice Hyper! Just let me know if anything changes. (y)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Either way, I want to order one in a few weeks. Raw aluminum would be best as I intend to "brush" it with WD40 and a course 3M pad.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Is febur no longer shipping them? I got one from them about a year ago.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is febur no longer shipping them? I got one from them about a year ago.
Had a Febur on order with a source I trust from October 2018 to October 2019, kept getting the run around with Febur blaming an outside supplier for the delay and also raising the price. Maybe they did finally get some produced and I last checked with RedRacingParts early this year and said they removed the subframe from their site due to "delay issues with Febur" as well. Hmm, maybe you got mine! :unsure::D

I also had a DM Telai on order from European vendor which also never materialized.

Either way, I want to order one in a few weeks. Raw aluminum would be best as I intend to "brush" it with WD40 and a course 3M pad.
I recommend checking on availability prior to order.

I contacted Desmo-Racing mentioned in that other thread and they said it was a no go on subframes from any of the the suppliers and not enough demand.

I don't think I've left too many stones unturned in the hunt the past couple years but it's definitely a limited item for a limited number of bikes with limited demand.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I might be able to throw a lifeline here...i tend to frequent the uk site more than this one. One of the users is a fabricator and did ask sometime ago "is there anything anyone would like me to make..." i did mention the subframe but now theres a number of us that would be interested ill go back to him....

·
Registered
485 Posts
So, been chatting with a fabricator most of the day....he says he could manufacture them but would have to build a jig first. He says he would need a minimum of 10 initially but i did say if he could turf them out i think he would have steady orders. Price would be approx 300-350gbp plus shipping. I did suggest to keep the cost down maybe ship them unpainted then people could get them coated themselves in whatever they wanted....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here's another question if you're going to start from scratch: are there additional measures that could be taken to further lighten the construct rather than just reproducing the OEM design in aluminum?

·
Smut peddler
1,003 Posts
Anyone have experience with the lightened subframe? I switched to a lithium battery, can't say it held much a difference. Maybe the combination of the two would net a noticeable difference? I would need a set in stone price before I could ever commit. I know how much carbon and forged wheels are, and I know what the result is (second hand, admittedly ).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Anyone have experience with the lightened subframe? I switched to a lithium battery, can't say it held much a difference. Maybe the combination of the two would net a noticeable difference? I would need a set in stone price before I could ever commit. I know how much carbon and forged wheels are, and I know what the result is (second hand, admittedly ).
I think you'll need to see about 25lbs of weight loss before you can notice a difference.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So to answer some of the questions...

As far as timeline, nothing happens until 10 firm commitments are made, then the vendor(s) will contact the supplier(s) in Italy to sort out details. At this rate, I wouldn't expect anything before fall.

For pricing, everyone I have had discussions with thinks getting 10 Hypermotard subframe commitments for an order is a pipe dream. They all say they haven't received much if any interest in several years so they are not going to commit time and resources to discussing terms with suppliers at this stage. If we get some more interest and closer to the goal - at least over half then I can reach for more specific details. I may have been a bit harsh in the original post on the firm commitment and 100% sure part until we do know the price and I'm not looking to overpay or be gouged on one either. So your commitment here at this stage doesn't mean you are obligated, that'll happen if/when we reach the minimum commitments and get the pricing/eta from the vendor and you pay them.

Comfy, appreciate you looking into this too. While open to all options, I'm hesitant to throw my backing behind a fabricator who hasn't built these before and prefer going with a supplier who has built these so a known quantity and not sight unseen. Not a dig on your fabricator at all but that's my preference at this stage. With GBP pricing and shipping to the US, that looks to be around 500 USD. The going rate previously was in the 400 range if you could find one and my hope is they would still be somewhere in that range.

I've installed and ridden bikes with the lightweight subframe and can be a noticeable difference, especially when combined with lightweight battery and exhaust you're looking at 20-25 lbs off the back of the bike, high up. Next to a lightweight battery, it's decent value for weight savings. I'm not really trying to be a salesperson here and sell anyone on one, because I feel like either you know you want one or you don't.

So don't hesitate to add your name to the list at this stage and hopefully some momentum will build.

·
Registered
485 Posts
So to answer some of the questions...

As far as timeline, nothing happens until 10 firm commitments are made, then the vendor(s) will contact the supplier(s) in Italy to sort out details. At this rate, I wouldn't expect anything before fall.

For pricing, everyone I have had discussions with thinks getting 10 Hypermotard subframe commitments for an order is a pipe dream. They all say they haven't received much if any interest in several years so they are not going to commit time and resources to discussing terms with suppliers at this stage. If we get some more interest and closer to the goal - at least over half then I can reach for more specific details. I may have been a bit harsh in the original post on the firm commitment and 100% sure part until we do know the price and I'm not looking to overpay or be gouged on one either. So your commitment here at this stage doesn't mean you are obligated, that'll happen if/when we reach the minimum commitments and get the pricing/eta from the vendor and you pay them.

Comfy, appreciate you looking into this too. While open to all options, I'm hesitant to throw my backing behind a fabricator who hasn't built these before and prefer going with a supplier who has built these so a known quantity and not sight unseen. Not a dig on your fabricator at all but that's my preference at this stage. With GBP pricing and shipping to the US, that looks to be around 500 USD. The going rate previously was in the 400 range if you could find one and my hope is they would still be somewhere in that range.

I've installed and ridden bikes with the lightweight subframe and can be a noticeable difference, especially when combined with lightweight battery and exhaust you're looking at 20-25 lbs off the back of the bike, high up. Next to a lightweight battery, it's decent value for weight savings. I'm not really trying to be a salesperson here and sell anyone on one, because I feel like either you know you want one or you don't.

So don't hesitate to add your name to the list at this stage and hopefully some momentum will build.
I must say, i didnt say...he does make parts for other Ducati bikes....lots of billett parts, designs alot of stuff on CAD - ive seen his work and its top notch.....probably a chicken and egg situation here (which i can fully understand) he would have to manufacture something fitted to a bike to get the orders (he did say that hed probably have to put a grand in of his own money to get a jig made up)....

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
Any chance you guys are near Colorado? It’s an interesting project to build in aluminum, Ti would be more fun but material is much more expensive. If a primary is close Enough maybe I could pull a jig for you and knock out a single then decide If it works for you. I have no desire to make a shit ton of these but would knock out a handful for kicks.

·
Smut peddler
1,003 Posts
We'll @TiDuc, technically we should be paying by the pound for these. So we should expect a significant discount in titanium. With my savings, I would also like to request a frame and swingarm :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts