Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Group Buy 2013-2014 Multistrada S (Skyhook) Rear spring

Ducati designed the Multistrada S for a rider/passenger mass of 85Kg (~187Lbs) each and a maximum luggage mass of 30Kg (~66 Lbs), total of 200Kg (~440lbs).

Unfortunately, some of us, like me are a little heavier than that. In my case I'm around 120Kg while my wife is a more ideal 83Kg. So with a full luggage load we tend to bottom out the rear suspension from time to time on rougher roads and when we don't the extra sag of rear end tends to upset the steering geometry degrading the handling of the bike. I have tried for many months to find a heavier rear spring and while there are many linear wound springs available (see jbmadness posting http://www.ducati.ms/forums/203-suspension-tire-tech/467898-skyhook-heavy-riders.html ), I have been unable to find a progressive wound spring.

The standard spring fitted to the rear skyhook shock is a progressive wound 80 - 120 N/mm (approx 450-700 Lbs/inch). The spring has a free length of 18 cm (approx 7.1 inch).

While I think jbmadness solution would be fine for when the bike is fully loaded up, some of the comfort would be lost we not fully loaded. I think the ideal solution would be a 90-140 N/mm spring. This would allow the spring to work with the damper/shock without changing the damping rates as the spring would operate mostly in the designed range of the damper/shock with a 17% increase in compression at the top end. Changing the damping rates would require a rebuild of the damper/shock and I haven't found anyone to do that either. I have searched but have been unable to find a supplier that makes such a spring stock.

I have approached 1 custom race spring manufacture in the UK and the cost of 5 springs would be around US$1200 (US$250 ea) plus shipping.

I also approached Traxxion Dynamics in Georgia US (Traxxion Dynamics Motorcycle Suspension Service) and they have offered to do a five spring order of a custom wound 90-140 N/mm spring.

The cost is: US$154 per spring,

Shipping to the US via UPS, flat rate US$12 , international on a case by case basis,

Spring would be powder coated black

shipping would be approx 4 weeks after placing the order.

I am offering to organize a group buy of at least 5 springs (me plus 4 more). If we get more than 10 orders a further discount on the price is possible.

I would like to place the order in 2 weeks time, so If you want in, please PM me. Understand that you will need to Paypal me the money within 2 weeks.

Any questions, please post them here so we can all see them,
Over to you guys.....

Jerry

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
I'm in if they'll do red (I'd be willing to pay a few bucks extra if everyone else wants black and I'm the odd man out).

·
Registered
293 Posts
I also am interested.
I like the stock yellow color though :)
Black is fine, I am not interested in red. (oddly enough)
Under $200 is a fine thing.
I have the GT version, I believe it's the same shock. Please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
I'm OK with yellow too... just don't like black. Maybe they can do a couple powdercoat batches.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure that it will fit the 2015 MTS

I'm in if they'll do red (I'd be willing to pay a few bucks extra if everyone else wants black and I'm the odd man out).
Dave,
Ducati does not list the spring as a separate item, just the whole assembly and the part numbers are different from the 13/14 to the 15/16 models. The spring many or may not be suitable. They are both 2.25" ID, just not sure of the rest of the data. I had a good long talk with my local Ducati service manager and he was not sure either.

Do you want to risk it? Your call.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Colour options

Ok guys I'll ask about colour options and get back to you

jerry

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am excited that this new spring could be a very good thing. (if it can be the right color of course)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
colours available

Advice from Traxxion is that standard powder coat colours other than black are available but will cost an extra US$40 per spring.

Please advise what you would like

Jerry

·
Registered
869 Posts
You guys are so vain, the opportunity to get a custom spring, that'll enhance the comfort and handling of your bike and you are more concerned about the color, which you can't see while riding....

You probably could get it powder coated, locally, in just about any color you desire for about $30......

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
You guys are so vain, the opportunity to get a custom spring, that'll enhance the comfort and handling of your bike and you are more concerned about the color, which you can't see while riding....

You probably could get it powder coated, locally, in just about any color you desire for about $30......
Only more concerned about the form because the function is already defined and there's really no reason why we can't get it in any (reasonable) color. I really like how a little splash of color from the spring looks in that area (which otherwise is all dark). Besides... these ARE Italian bikes, form is important. :)

Now I just need to figure out what's different about the 13 vs. 15 springs.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
are you in?

Chris, does this mean you are in?

Jerry

·
Registered
869 Posts
Chris, does this mean you are in?

Jerry
No, I'm a 165lb weakling, bike is currently perfect for me.....

No, just had one of those early morning moments, before my first coffee, that's why I posted, no disrespect to anybody, it just appeared your efforts to help were going down the tubes because of color versus functionality.

Reactions: Corsa9

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the 2015 DTV Skyhook question...

regarding the compatibility of the 2015 DTV Skyhook question;

My Local Ducati dealer assisted by the service manger let be crawl all over a nice new 2016 DTV S with a tape measure and I found that the "captured" length of the spring fitted to the shock is 19.5 cm (~7.7 inches) (free length of the 13/14 S is 18 cm, ~7.1 in) so the answer is NO

The service manager however thought that because the geometry is very similar that the spring rate would be very similar.

So do you 15/16 DTV S guys want me to ask Traxxion if they can do some springs with the same rate but longer (20 cm) to suit the DTV bike. It should be a trivial task to add an extra coil or so and get it do as part of the original group buy.

I can make no warranty about the suitability of this spring, it is just based on the best guess of my local Ducati service manager, so this would be a "suck it and see" situation.

Your call, let me know if you want me to ask Traxxion

Jerry

·
Registered
102 Posts
Jerry, first off: thanks for all the effort you are making. Seriously, above and beyond.

Chances are your idea would work fine, however.....I won't buy on a "hope it fits " plan. I just believe suspension parts are not something to mess with. Both from a performance and safety angle. And having a large spring that doesn't fit anyone else's bike.....what would I do with it? A direct replacement spring, yes. A "that looks about right" spring, no.

I think Traxxion would want to figure this out too, after all they sell this stuff, and need to keep their products current. It's their business.

Perhaps you could let Traxxion know how many other people wanted in, but held back due to the fitment question.

One last question, will the motor that changes preload have issues with a stiffer spring? Did the guys at your shop say anything about that?

Once again, thanks

·
Premium Member
12,280 Posts
Interesting...
Taking a chance of better rideability 2 up loaded for a mere couple hundred $$$.
Seems worth the risk , if it isn't to your liking replace with the old or something else.

If I was interested I would contact the maker and ask their take on any issues I "think" That I would have.

They should be able to answer all your questions and concerns .
Letting the OP off the (Sky) hook as he should be.

Sound like a good Odds for the risk deal.

We were alerted by a member here for the Ohlins SCU for the older Multis...
I took that chance and saved $$$ by jumping when the jumping was good.
The introductory offer was a good deal, So I still think.
It doesn't look like anyone here is benefitting more than anyone else.
And Questions about Colors etc. are asked so people are informed and maybe it will be an even better deal!!!

Ohlins Yellow????:wink2:
Purple helmet purple or nipple pink...
I'm color blind

I switch mode MOSTLY when at a standstill ,yes on the fly too
But my thinking is that it would be easier on the motors to do the adjusting while not under heavy work loads while at speed. Just to ease my mind I think that i'm being easy on the working parts.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
I think they're probably very close to the 13/14 rate specs, but I think someone would really need to send them a 15/16 spring so they can analyze it... and I imagine at that point it's outside the scope of their current group buy (they'll need to do additional work that they'll need to recoup cost for).

If it'd been winter I'd have pulled the shock and sent it... but my shock won't be free again until next winter. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
What, if anything would a new spring do, beyond just setting the bike for one rider plus luggage?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts