Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure, one can hang off and even use fancy motard foot-forward positions to get better traction at maximum lean angles, but you still need the ground clearance. This poor guy trys to re-write the physics books through body positioning. Didin't work because he was in over the bike's, not his, limitations. But tell me, do the low slung side cases touch down before the hard parts that caused the lift/lowside? :think:

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I can't answer your question positively but I can tell you that trying to do a flat track foot slide is stupid with rubber soled boots. He nearly lost a foot. :eek:

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I'm pretty sure the hard parts are down, causing the rear wheel to lift.
And I believe he was first using his shoe as a "curb feeler" to test for clearance.
Looks like he was at that point of no return, and was running wider and wider towards the outer shoulder, and then he "went for more lean", that the bike just could not give him.

·
Mr Leakered
8,944 Posts
Pretty amazing ending considering the circumstances.

He was coming in hot though.

I wonder if that corner is on streetview? I am astounded at the number of incidents there. Does the camber change or is it folks hamming it up for the camera? It doesn't look particularly difficult. Of course, I wouldn't run it at 9/10ths my first times through any road either.

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,944 Posts
Thanks. I thought something had to be up on that corner.

I've seen some neg camber, decreasing radius corners that makes me want to punch a highway engineer.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
That is not a safe corner, especially in view of the little Bad driving compilation after that video ends. Way too many chances for a smack down. As for he HD, I think the side case grounds just a bit before the pannier does, but that combo lifts the back wheel enough to lose it. Great protection that guy was wearing!

·
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I rode it once on a big trip out west, and yeah, the camber changes on the uphill exit of the turn, which is where most people crash. It doesn't really show up on camera.
Looks like the front tucks about about the 15 second mark; that may be the spot in the curve where the camber turns negative.

I met a guy many years ago who gerry-riged a tent pole to the underside of the cases of his Harley bagger as feeler gauges so he knew how far to lean in corners on Alaskan dirt roads, presumably because the cases would touch down first and lift the rear. Looks like the hard parts touched first, even in a suspesnion-compressing corner.

So, how much money did that poor basteech toss down the road for what would have been a few seconds of "glory"? Bad trade IMO. :( Another rider "under the influence" of the camera?

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
they're tough guys
Yeah, from all the scar tissue they have built up over the years!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
This has to go into the category of 'What the heck was he thinking!?!'

Attempting to rail 'The Snake' on a bagger is sheer nuts!

Style points for the graceful get-off and walk-away, though. :)

·
Registered
777 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Harleys have extremely limited lean angles - I think they actually list maximum possible lean angles in the specifications for some models. It happens quite often that if you go in a bit hot on a Harley, you end up needing more lean angle for the speed and turn radius you're doing, but then you're suddenly riding the exhaust pipes.

Sticking the foot out is probably the only option on a cruiser, since your feet are so far forward in the normal riding position.

Anyways, yet another reason I'll never buy one.

As far as the ST goes, the cases touch down first - I speak from experience. I'm pretty sure that if you didn't have the cases on and you went even further, you'd lowside unless you had race slicks on (and who would on an ST?). I'm even surprised I could hold the line and lean angle that I did when all of a sudden I heard plastic scraping briefly. But then again with proper tires and no sidecases, you could grind the pegs all day with the lean angles the ST is capable of.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
He would have been fine if he would have used the anti engine braking feature of the choke lever.
Wonway....you didn't? Really? Can't wait to see where this goes...

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

1 - 18 of 18 Posts