Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Does anyone have advice on how to wire grip heaters to a 996 in such a way that the ignition will cut power to them as well as the rest of the bike? Cold hands are no fun, but neither are dead batteries. I assume this would involve the fusebox, is it possible to piggyback an existing fuse or would a new one need to be installed? Is this a reasonable do-it-yourself job?

Thanks in advance for any tips

-Dave the Canadian

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hook them up to a toggle switch. Pretty simple. Just like a manual fan switch. Hard part is to remember to turn it off. Easily train the brain for that. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, the toggle switch method is what I'm currently using. I was hoping for something that would be over-written by the ignition.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Hi Dave,

Grip heaters = good! Dead battery = bad! :D

I'm assuming that you're running power from the battery with an in-line fuse for protection. You could the put a simple relay in that power circuit which was switched from the low beam or parking lights. Sorry I can't add more detail at the moment but this link might help. Look at the fan example.
Apologies if all of this is old news to you.

http://autospeed.com.au/cms/title_Using-Relays/A_2741/article.html

cheers,

neil.

·
Registered
357 Posts
This is from Amullo on another thread. Good advice for you.

"Depends on where you place the lights and how you want them to turn on.

If they are forward and you want them on "all the time" you can splice into the positive feed to your horn. The horn works backwards(IE: It always has positive and you ground it when you hit the button). It has a "ignition on" positive feed and you can just ground the negative of your lights to any grounding point.

If your looking to control the lights with a light switch, then splice into the 5w wedge parking light in the front and if your mounting in the rear, then the feed to the licenseplate bulb is good.

If your wiring in the middle oof the bike, then i think the stock fusebox has an empty space over with "on ignition" positive feed.. Either that or splice into the one for the horn.."

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
+1 on the relay, Dave.

There's nothing else in the electrical system that you want to run that much extra current through.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts