Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally putting on some Symtec Grip heaters and using the Ducati Designs connector. Couple of questions as I'm not the most handy guy on this forum:

1. Any suggestion on where to exit the wire from under the grip on the clutch and throttle sides? The heater will not wrap completely around the grip, so there will be some small area not covered. Does that make any difference?

2. Coming into what is described in the owners manual as the "Handgrip Wiring Release" are two wires. One is black and the other brown (though the wiring diagram in the manual has a Bn/Y wire and Bk coming in). As best I can tell, the black is the ground and the brown is the power. If you are using the Ducati Design connector are you just splicing the ground wires together that come from the grips and wiring them into this?

Thanks in advance

Joe

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Registered
824 Posts
Joe............

.................it's been a while since I installed mine so I can't really help with the wire colors inside the fairing. On the throttle side, I have the wire from the heating element coming out from under the grip in the area between where your thumb & forefinger would be when riding. On the clutch side I have the wire coming out a little more towards the front. One important thing I wished I would have listened to & didn't was to wrap the left side bar with electrical tape or heat shrink before you stick the heating element on. If you don't, the bar will suck up most of the heat & it won't warm your hand worth a shit. The throttle side isn't a problem because the heating element is on the plastic throttle tube. Hope this helps a little.
Gregg

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gregg,

Thanks for the ideas.

When I bought these they told me I didn't need to do that because the clutch side has a higher output. How long ago did you put yours on?

Joe

·
Registered
824 Posts
Gregg,

Thanks for the ideas.

When I bought these they told me I didn't need to do that because the clutch side has a higher output. How long ago did you put yours on?

Joe
I put them on a few years ago. I would still put a layer of electrical tape on. Once you put them on, you can't take them off without ruining them. My $.02
Gregg

·
Registered
160 Posts
[ One important thing I wished I would have listened to & didn't was to wrap the left side bar with electrical tape or heat shrink before you stick the heating element on. If you don't, the bar will suck up most of the heat & it won't warm your hand worth a shit.

I installed the same heaters last winter, and indeed, the clutch side does not need the tape due to the added output of the heating element. Both hands stay the same temp. They work great - my note would be, however, to make sure the heating elements are on a switched circuit so you don't forget to turn them off when you turn off the ignition.

good luck with your install.....

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. Looks like some snow coming. Hopefully can get out a bit more in '09

1 - 8 of 8 Posts