Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and would like to say hello to everyone in the sports touring section in particular.

A bit about me: I'm 27 and I started riding four years ago. A few weeks ago I upgraded a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 for a 2001 ST4 with 17k. Suffice it to say I'm beyond thrilled to be riding this awesome machine.

I want to learn as much as possible about this bike, and plan doing a few of the basic maintenance procedures myself (oil, fluids, etc). That being said, could you guys tell me where to get a full manual for my bike? I've searched around and the closest I can find is the Haynes manual for Ducati 748, 916 & 996 4-valve V-twins, '94-'01. Is this what you guys are using?

Thanks in advance for any help. I look forward to spending lots of time on this forum - it's a great place to learn and share from what I can tell.

·
Registered
35 Posts
if you check around the posts here you will find some links to download a service manual. I've also seen one on ebay too - both of these were the Ducati Manual.

Enjoy your new ST4

·
7,733 Posts
...A bit about me: I'm 27 and I started riding four years ago. A few weeks ago I upgraded a Kawasaki Vulcan 500 for a 2001 ST4 with 17k. Suffice it to say I'm beyond thrilled to be riding this awesome machine...
27?! Who let you in to the ST "club"? :confused: Just kidding...you are wise for your generation, cutting to the chase as it were, dispensing with the route of buying numerous bikes before realising the ST platform is the way to go, and that the Ducati ST is a very special ST. Congrats and welcome. :)

As far as manuals, check the recent SMs thread in this forum. Desmo Times also sells a ST manual which is quite good for maintenance. If you stick around here/Ducati MS, you will come to know your bike very well from many owners with hands on experience, as well as some very knowledgeable tech-types who like helping out. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I found a manual, so that should give me a good start. Would the Haynes manual be redundant at this point?

And yea, I know I'm young and all, but the ST4 appeals much more to me than the super sporty Japanese bikes. It's comfortable, practical, fun to ride, and, not for nothing, but its a friggin' red Ducati.

My Vulcan 500 was great to learn on and was a fantastic all around bike, but I'm thrilled to now be riding a real-deal motorcycle.

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
Welcome. You certainly made a great decision. Trust me, you got a sportbike. ;)

Glad you got the SM. The desmotimes 4v manual will help put that all into perspective on the maint side.

Don't forget this little gem:
Ducati ST FAQ

Also, for EFI stuff:
BikeBoy.org - Eproms
The end of the Duc SM has a very good discussion on the function of the various EFI bits.

I bought my 2001 ST4 with just under 21k on it. It was practically new. Yours has years in it. Get to know it and you'll see.

Have a good one.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Also you can go to Ducati.Com and download a free parts book which helps when discussing problems or ordering parts.
Welcome and enjoy !

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
I don't believe the 2001 is available any more. They only go back 10 model years. I will add it to the "SMs" thread in a bit.

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
You're welcome.

Don't bookmark them, download them! =)

Also, go to ducati.com and grab some Monster PLs (esp S4 and S4r) and the ones for the ST4s. There are so many parts in common that it will be handy if (when) you need to search through eBay.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Kamen,

Welcome to the club. We love our STs (unless we're swearing at them because of their "special" qualities).

Personally, I find the Haynes manual helpful in places that the shop manual is unclear, especially concerning the suspension and engine work, but there are many, many files of a specialized nature floating around on the DucatiWiki (as Bob noted), in the Hall of Wisdom, and in the files section of the ST2 Owners group on Yahoo: st2_owners : Ducati Sport Touring This is a group that is concerned with all the various ST models, not just the ST2, so don't let the name put you off.

Ron

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Those links are extremely informative. I will definitely bookmark them.

Many thanks!
Welcome and like most of the members here (and as you are so young) you will probably hang around a long time. The search function is your freind :)

This is a great site with all the maintenance/mod info you require or links to them.

Nick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts