Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Oz

First time poster, great site you guys have here....lots of good info and some great mods....good to see quite a few posts from my part of the world too.

New owner of a SC1000 Bip (2007) having had two 600SL Pantahs in the past (great bike) which I sold and regret everyday! I've had quite a few other bikes in the past too but always missed my Ducati and hence the new SC1000, I expect this will be a long time keeper, just love the look of the bike.

I've read a lot about the SC1000 suspension issues and the changes that are being made to the forks. With only 1500ks on the bike since new this is my only complaint about the bike at this point, the front end for me is simply too harsh and shakes my eyeballs out! I think the back end is working okay for me and I can live with the dive and have not had any bottoming out issues but I wont ride the bike at speed until I have the harshness in the forks sorted.

I'm a real lightweight at only 57Kg (125lbs) and thats with a full breakfast! On my Pantahs I found I only had to put lighter weight oil in the forks to suit me. I doubt I'll get away with this simple fix with the SC1000 but as I'd like to keep the bike stock I will look at a springs/oil change and of course spacers if required before contemplating replacing the stock forks. Are there any other riders of similar weight here that have made changes to the stock springs/oil and found a significant improvement? were spacers required also?

Many thanks and happy riding :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Well at 200 lbs.

My GT 07,,,,,,,,the front bottoms out and rear feels like struts. Goofy for sure. I am going the rought for now. Progressive front springs...........and KSS rear shock..............

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My GT 07,,,,,,,,the front bottoms out and rear feels like struts. Goofy for sure. I am going the rought for now. Progressive front springs...........and KSS rear shock..............
Good luck, I guess at 125lbs bottoming out shouldn't be a problem for me though it does dive more than I would like. Rears seem ok with preload and dampning set to 5 clicks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Gary

Plenty of WACO's (West Aust. Classic Owners) here, you'll fit right in

Bert

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi Bert

Thanks mate, look forward to getting out proper....once I've fixed my fork "issues"!.....maybe
it would be easier if I put on a few kilos (say about 20!) :)

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
737 Posts
Another West Aussie on here?? There goes the neighbourhood :p

Welcome fellow Sandgroper...and for god sake, eat some burgers or something!! It's winter after all... One stiff breeze and you'll fly away!!

Enjoy the over abundance of ways to blow your cash on here. :D

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Hi Bert

Thanks mate, look forward to getting out proper....once I've fixed my fork "issues"!.....maybe

Cheers

Gary
I can send you 20 kilos, I'm just having trouble getting them off.....

Craig

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Hi Bert

Cheers

Gary

ummmm your lost weight seems to have found me, please take it back

·
Registered
238 Posts
Greetings from Oz

I'm a real lightweight at only 57Kg (125lbs) and thats with a full breakfast!

Many thanks and happy riding :)
I shat that much last week!!
Welcome to WACO
Hang the expense stick some OHILNS up front

·
Registered
555 Posts
I posted some detailed response to the front forks on another web-site, but I can't remember where it is anymore! Anyways.....
some advice on the front forks before you start spending bucketloads of money on it (which is easy to do...).
Step 1 is to measure your sag, ie. how much does the front and rear compress when you sit on the bike? If in doubt, Google "setting your sag motorcycle" and you'll find some instructions.
It may surprise you to find you might want to preload the rear shocks a bit more. I weigh 94 kilos in my bike gear. I found that I need to add 14mm spacers in the front forks, AND increase the preload of my rear springs. Ideally, you want about 12mm of sag at each end (though opinion can differ on this). I was losing 45% of my fork travel just sitting on the bike. Now I lose about 25% just sitting on the bike.
Step 2 is to add the spacers to the front forks. It's not that hard, just a bit time consuming. But it may only cost you about five bucks to do. The easiest thing is to go down to Bunnings and buy some thick metal washers with the same outside diameter of the fork springs. The ones I got are about 3mm thick each. You'll need a "pin spanner" to get the fork caps off. Google it and you'll find one - I got one from a website in the USA for about $40.

One of the forks controls compression damping and one controls rebound - I forget which, but you'll be able to figure that out once you'll got the tops off. This does mean you can play around with different fork oil weights in each leg.

However, before you get crazy with the bling (unless of course you are independently wealthy and unempoyed - and in that case I wanna be your friend!), try simply getting the correct sag on both the front and rear of the bike.

The front is harch because there's not enough preload on the springs and too much travel is lost just sitting on the bike. Fix this first.:)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks guys for welcomes and the weight advice, believe me, stuffing my face with chocolate cake, mars bars and pavalova every week, plus all the chips and beer and not being able to gain an ounce is a curse, a curse I tell ya!!!:)
Actually, it was a bit of a problem on my XJR1300....what with my legs flapping in the breeze at anything over 150 :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I posted some detailed response to the front forks on another web-site, but I can't remember where it is anymore! Anyways.....
some advice on the front forks before you start spending bucketloads of money on it (which is easy to do...).
Step 1 is to measure your sag, ie. how much does the front and rear compress when you sit on the bike? If in doubt, Google "setting your sag motorcycle" and you'll find some instructions.
It may surprise you to find you might want to preload the rear shocks a bit more. I weigh 94 kilos in my bike gear. I found that I need to add 14mm spacers in the front forks, AND increase the preload of my rear springs. Ideally, you want about 12mm of sag at each end (though opinion can differ on this). I was losing 45% of my fork travel just sitting on the bike. Now I lose about 25% just sitting on the bike.
Step 2 is to add the spacers to the front forks. It's not that hard, just a bit time consuming. But it may only cost you about five bucks to do. The easiest thing is to go down to Bunnings and buy some thick metal washers with the same outside diameter of the fork springs. The ones I got are about 3mm thick each. You'll need a "pin spanner" to get the fork caps off. Google it and you'll find one - I got one from a website in the USA for about $40.

One of the forks controls compression damping and one controls rebound - I forget which, but you'll be able to figure that out once you'll got the tops off. This does mean you can play around with different fork oil weights in each leg.

However, before you get crazy with the bling (unless of course you are independently wealthy and unempoyed - and in that case I wanna be your friend!), try simply getting the correct sag on both the front and rear of the bike.

The front is harch because there's not enough preload on the springs and too much travel is lost just sitting on the bike. Fix this first.:)
Cheers DADDA I will definitely be doing this very soon, bling is out of the question at the moment (though I have a feeling I may win lotto this weekend). I have been told by an observer that when I sit on the bike there is little to no noticeable change in the front fork geometry.....I simply don't have enough weight over the forks to compress them much at all with the stock setup it seems, it's not as if they dont compress at all, I can pump them up and down okay....having said that I have seen on the net how sag should be measured properly (with the rider sitting fully on the bike and then a second party compressing then releasing the forks and taking the measurements) and this is what I need to get done. First thing then is to get a pin spanner, washers and detemine an the best oil to try.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Thanks guys for welcomes and the weight advice, believe me, stuffing my face with chocolate cake, mars bars and pavalova every week, plus all the chips and beer and not being able to gain an ounce is a curse, a curse I tell ya!!!:)
Actually, it was a bit of a problem on my XJR1300....what with my legs flapping in the breeze at anything over 150 :D
yeah yeah fark off dont like you anymore :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts