Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

My name is Shon. A Ducati lover ever since my dad had a 1983SD black/gold.
I own a few vintage motorcycles in Israel and been building/fixing/upgrading all by myself.
5 years ago managed to purchase a stunning 2011 796 and loved every second on the bike.
A year ago I upgraded the package and traded it for a 2009 Monster 1100. has 82,000 killometers on it but still a beast.
The bike is stock, except for SC Project muffler, and the exhaust servo removed.

I've been having a few issues with the M1100 for a while now, on hard engine braking, at aroun 3~4k RPM, the check engine light comes on.
after 4 or 5 seconds the light goes off.

Second:
from time to time, the Oil Pressure Light comes on while crusing. my first instinct is to turn off the bike. when I restart it the light
goes off. happend around 4 times in the past year.

Third:
A few months ago, on a warm sunny day, at around 4K RPM the bike started stuttering ever so slightly on "cruising" throttle position. felt almost like coughing
very lighly, the Idle RPM was slightly higher than nomal with a wierd hint to the sound of it. nothing mechanical, just the sound and timing of detonation sounded different. the bike pulled very nice when I yank the throttle, but the lower RPMs felt uneven and rough. almost bogged when pulling off at 1st from a light.
When I came back home, I pulled the gas tank out and looked at the fuel filter, was pitch black. after replacing the filter with an OEM new one, the problem was gone.

Yesterday I went to visit a family an hour ride from me. the bike was stunning on the way there. besides the oil pressure light coming on like I mentioned on the
first problem. after a few hour I rode the bike back home. on the way home, 40 minutes into the ride, the third problem came back. but this time, 1/8th throttle or just slightly pulling the throttle brings the bike to a wierd stutter. when engine braking at lower speeds, the bike backfires slightly and feels uncontrolable.

I must say that Ducati dealers or mechanics where I live aren't the nicest. from personal experience.

I'm somewhat sad this is my first post here, but I hope I'm in the right place for assistance and guidance.

Cheers~

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,266 Posts
Welcome!

On the oilpressure thing, you might need a new oilpressure sensor. They did have a habit of faulting back in the day and it was always the first option to change the sensor, rather then start looking at the much harder "low pressure" fault. I´m guessing you already checked so that there is oil in the bike aswell as change the oilfilter.

The stutter could be fuelpressure, but also sparkplugs aswell as a coil getting overheated.

Hello!

My name is Shon. A Ducati lover ever since my dad had a 1983SD black/gold.
I own a few vintage motorcycles in Israel and been building/fixing/upgrading all by myself.
5 years ago managed to purchase a stunning 2011 796 and loved every second on the bike.
A year ago I upgraded the package and traded it for a 2009 Monster 1100. has 82,000 killometers on it but still a beast.
The bike is stock, except for SC Project muffler, and the exhaust servo removed.

I've been having a few issues with the M1100 for a while now, on hard engine braking, at aroun 3~4k RPM, the check engine light comes on.
after 4 or 5 seconds the light goes off.

Second:
from time to time, the Oil Pressure Light comes on while crusing. my first instinct is to turn off the bike. when I restart it the light
goes off. happend around 4 times in the past year.

Third:
A few months ago, on a warm sunny day, at around 4K RPM the bike started stuttering ever so slightly on "cruising" throttle position. felt almost like coughing
very lighly, the Idle RPM was slightly higher than nomal with a wierd hint to the sound of it. nothing mechanical, just the sound and timing of detonation sounded different. the bike pulled very nice when I yank the throttle, but the lower RPMs felt uneven and rough. almost bogged when pulling off at 1st from a light.
When I came back home, I pulled the gas tank out and looked at the fuel filter, was pitch black. after replacing the filter with an OEM new one, the problem was gone.

Yesterday I went to visit a family an hour ride from me. the bike was stunning on the way there. besides the oil pressure light coming on like I mentioned on the
first problem. after a few hour I rode the bike back home. on the way home, 40 minutes into the ride, the third problem came back. but this time, 1/8th throttle or just slightly pulling the throttle brings the bike to a wierd stutter. when engine braking at lower speeds, the bike backfires slightly and feels uncontrolable.

I must say that Ducati dealers or mechanics where I live aren't the nicest. from personal experience.

I'm somewhat sad this is my first post here, but I hope I'm in the right place for assistance and guidance.

Cheers~

1 - 2 of 2 Posts