Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got at the air filters for my 916 and the intakes were covered in grime. Like, lots. At first I thought it might be blowby, but then I saw that the "filtered" section of the intakes was perfectly clean. It then occurred to me that perhaps someone put the grease there intentionally to help seal the filter to the walls of the intake. I can certainly confirm that a lot of dirt was caught. Whether that would have wound up in the motor, who knows.

Anyway, has anyone seen this done before? It's a Uni filter (in the OEM position), for what it's worth.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I grease the filters on my 916, it seems to trap the dust very well. Its a common practice on dirt bikes and ATV to grease the foam style air filter, the only disadvantage to this is, you gonna have to clean your filter more often.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It would also be good practice to grease the airbox seal, nothing fancy just some petroleum jelly is fine, and it cleans up easily.

·
comrade moderator
27,330 Posts
You can grease the entire insides of the runners and airbox if you want. It will catch dirt. Can't hurt, other than to be a bit messy after a while.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I like to use white lithium grease so I can see if any dirt got by the filter. (This is on my dirtbike, but same principal.) I grease the whole intake runner as far as I can reach with my fingers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts