Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I finished doing the valves on the 998 and the closest manual I have, a 998R, recommends applying graphite oil to the cam seats before reassembling.

I couldn't find any. Any product recommendations?

The only alternative I can think of is antiseize, which is basically oil and graphite, but it also contains aluminum powder. It is sometimes used on bicycles, but I don't know how would that work on a high speed rolling surface like a cam.

Would regular oil or even grease do?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,205 Posts
Look for something called engine assembly grease. That's what you want. It's for high-pressure applications.

·
Registered
212 Posts
DO NOT use anti seize as a cam lubricant or anywhere else in the oil system, or you will dramatically shorten the life of that engine. You would be replacing the hour meter with a stop watch. Use a high quality engine assembly lube with high viscosity.

Uli-

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, thanks,I'll go with the regular engine assembly grease.
I suspected the anti-seize may be a bad idea for high temperature/speed, which is why I wanted to ask, but I couldn't figure out what to make of the graphite requirement.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Molybdenum disulfide will adhere to a surface tenaciously if rubbed in. The only thing I don't like about it is that is won't suspend in oil, so you will find it in the crankcase later and I don't want it on the rings early on. Hence, I don't slather gobs of it over everything like many do. There is no reason to have an excess of it outside a cam or bearing journal or on the sides of the camshaft lobes, a thin layer rubbed in is adequate and preferable. Those extra gobs are not going to go back into where you want it. What doesn't wash out in a hot oil drain will just end up floating and holing up in the crankcase and continue to color the oil slightly for a long time. The main thing your really want is a lubricant that stays put for a while and there are lots of things that do, STP, lithium greases. A number of high end engine builders will not use a non oil soluble grease, being concerned about what gobs of it might do in screens and filters. I'm not concerned if an excess is not applied. Remember it's value is only until oil provides a barrier and while some amount will stay where rubbed in, once the oil is in there, it pretty much moot as most of it will be displaced.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Def assembly lube as already suggested. Also, if you haven't drained the oil. I put the bike in 2nd gear and spin the rear wheel to build up some oil pressure and start the flow.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
More is not better. A little smear goes a long way. Don't know how true it is but in the early days I was told if there's much of the stuff, once it's in the oil, it plays havoc with rings and bore glazing.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
i wouldn't use it on an engine that isn't new. oil is fine for the cams, i'd spin it until it gets oil pressure anyway. you can do that by hand easily. just put the horizontal rocker cover on first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts