Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Over the last few years, Graham has taken to flipping cars and making extra coin off his name. Or, attempting to, anyway.

Bobby used to own a few Ducatis when I worked there. One of my teammates bought his M900 (yellow '96 iirc). I considered buying his ST but already had three Ducs by then and little time to ride them. I don't recall G ever having a motorcycle back then (late 90s/early 00s).

This one is just a standard 1000DS with lights removed. Hell, it still has OE mufflers on it and pillion pegs.

·
comrade moderator
27,143 Posts
Didn't Ducati bring in a few of those without lights for trackday junkies? 30 if i recall. There was nothing special about them other than the lack of lighting.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SP3- thanks for the response. I would agree that he is trying to upsell what is essentially a stock super sport.

Chuckracer - That seems to be what his claim is. I don’t know enough about these, but it certainly didn’t look like anything out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
If my memory serves, the bikes were a bit cheaper as they didn't have to be and aren't street legal. Aimed at as a track day bike or a less expensive basis for a race build. Nothing special in the way of equipment.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
If my memory serves, the bikes were a bit cheaper as they didn't have to be and aren't street legal. Aimed at as a track day bike or a less expensive basis for a race build. Nothing special in the way of equipment.
Not your post, but the original ad, what a load of bullshit as we say here in Oz.

I really hope some young aspirant to own a Ducati does not fall for this.
I do not know the "gentleman's" name, but a totally stock bike, with pillion pegs, stock exhaust, no signals, the headlight fairing with what looks to be a gap/hole due to no headlight, no license plate etc. does not make it a rare race bike, nor even a race bike.

Does it come with a bottle of snake oil.

FFS, my bike is more of a race bike than that!

If he wants to part it out, then there are a couple of stock/OEM things I would like to buy.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
^
Now that makes perfect sense, that 1000DS is as much a proper race bike as a IndyCar driver is a proper race car driver :wink2:

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Reactions: SwiftFF5

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
^
Now that makes perfect sense, that 1000DS is as much a proper race bike as a IndyCar driver is a proper race car driver :wink2:

Eddie Lawson was an Indycar driver. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I thought the Supersports that were the stripped trackday bikes were 800cc, and they were only one year, the year after the bigger bikes was discontinued IIRC

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Okay, I should probably chime in here.

Full disoclosure: I'm friends with Graham.

For several years now he's been buying unridden Ducatis. He has a nice collection of very low mileage or out-and-out unridden bikes. He has my old 916SPS with 7 miles on it and XLR8R's (Matt's) virtually unridden 996R, another friend's unused 998R, along with a lot of other special Ducatis. He got this SS in a package of unridden bikes. He didn't necessarily want it but he needed to take it to get a couple of pretty special bikes. He's had it for a year, it doesn't quite fit in with what he has, he needs the room, so he wants to sell it.

I have to admit that I didn't know much about this particular model at first but Matt did some asking and I did some asking and from what we've been able to gather, this was some kind of track day special that was meant to be stripped of the stock bodywork and replaced with track bodywork so Ducati didn't deliver it with lights or any of that stuff. I do think think that there was an 800 stripped down version as well.

Anyways, I think that it's a cool bike for someone who wants to put the street parts on it or put track bodywork on it. I don't think that Graham is asking the world for it so if someone does want a new 1000DS, it would be worth a look.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
might want rethink that one.
We can start a thread listing famous people that raced IndyCars and got nowhere, bet it will rival "I slipped on a watermelon" for laughts, :wink2:

I can see people be interested in that bike, but HOW MUCH $, and will it really be worth the premium?

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
We can start a thread listing famous people that raced IndyCars and got nowhere, bet it will rival "I slipped on a watermelon" for laughts, :wink2:

Go ahead and start one then. The fact remains that he did race Indycars and you were 100 % incorrect when you called BS. The results of his foray with Galles (long past their race-winning days by then) are another matter altogether.

I too would like to know what GR is asking for his 'special' bike. Far more than I'd be willing to pay, I'll bet. Maybe I'll ask next weekend.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts