Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some know I own a Cagiva Mito as well as the 853, and the Mito has the same dashboard as the Ducati.
It's speedo was wildly optimistic so I pulled it out on the off chance I could fit the GPS speedo I'd bought for my next project bike.
It fitted straight in the binnacle perfectly the only difference was the two studs on the back were 10mm shorter which was easily fixed with a couple of tube nuts I made from a pair of M8 bolts drilled and tapped down the middle to fit the studs.
It worked perfectly with the antenna sitting in front of the instruments on top of the headlamp bracket just stuck there with double sided tape.
So the Ducati will be the next in line for the conversion, no more cable and no more inaccuracy.
The only tricky bit was working out how to remove the trip meter knob on the original so I could get the instrument out after undoing everything else... there is a small phillips screw up the guts of the knob that needs removing then the knob will just pull out.
Mine came out easily but I'm told sometimes they are Loctited in which case if you heat the screwdriver up before trying it will soften the Loctite and make removal easy as the screw is tiny and won't need much heat
Any 85mm speedo will fit in there and there's hundreds out there on Ebay but the best I've found although expensive come from Speedhut in the States. I have one on my SR and it's a precision instrument with all the bells and whistles.

//davy

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
As some know I own a Cagiva Mito as well as the 853, and the Mito has the same dashboard as the Ducati.
It's speedo was wildly optimistic so I pulled it out on the off chance I could fit the GPS speedo I'd bought for my next project bike.
It fitted straight in the binnacle perfectly the only difference was the two studs on the back were 10mm shorter which was easily fixed with a couple of tube nuts I made from a pair of M8 bolts drilled and tapped down the middle to fit the studs.
It worked perfectly with the antenna sitting in front of the instruments on top of the headlamp bracket just stuck there with double sided tape.
So the Ducati will be the next in line for the conversion, no more cable and no more inaccuracy.
The only tricky bit was working out how to remove the trip meter knob on the original so I could get the instrument out after undoing everything else... there is a small phillips screw up the guts of the knob that needs removing then the knob will just pull out.
Mine came out easily but I'm told sometimes they are Loctited in which case if you heat the screwdriver up before trying it will soften the Loctite and make removal easy as the screw is tiny and won't need much heat
Any 85mm speedo will fit in there and there's hundreds out there on Ebay but the best I've found although expensive come from Speedhut in the States. I have one on my SR and it's a precision instrument with all the bells and whistles.

//davy
Davy, what did you do about the stock speedo drive on the front wheel?

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
With no speedo drive or room for a gauge in the 851's corse dash, I went with a Garmin Zumo. The speedo works great (no antenna required) amd the navigation is fantastic on a bike. It also displays a fuel gauge, the speed limit (guideline) and a number of other display and other features like the Bluetooth--I can listen to downloaded music or XM radio.

And I can take it with me to use in the car or other bikes.

·
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Davy, what did you do about the stock speedo drive on the front wheel?

Nothing :smile2: just left it sit there.
Next time I have to have the front wheel out I'll machine up a simple alloy spacer to replace it with.

//davy

Reactions: Nikk11

·
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With no speedo drive or room for a gauge in the 851's corse dash, I went with a Garmin Zumo. The speedo works great (no antenna required) amd the navigation is fantastic on a bike. It also displays a fuel gauge, the speed limit (guideline) and a number of other display and other features like the Bluetooth--I can listen to downloaded music or XM radio.
And I can take it with me to use in the car or other bikes.

Yes but that's not the point of my post, I'm showing a cheap, easy and accurate alternative to the stock speedo with no alterations to the stock dash.
I prefer the Ducati pipe music to anything you can download to your bluetooth :wink2:

//davy

Reactions: Nikk11
1 - 6 of 6 Posts