Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd share my latest endevor with you folks. I got a Garmin Montana to serve my GPS/Mapping needs, but couldn't find anything to mount it on the tard that seemed worthy. Modeled this in Alibre Design and will start cutting chips ASAP. All machining will be on conventional machines, so some hand finishing will no doubt be required, but it shoud look something like this;

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice looking! I have my Zumo mount hooked to a RAM ball and it works, but sticks out like a sore thumb!

Josh

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll get one made up soon too see if this gizmo will work out and them I'll cut some drawings so you guys can get one made at your local machine shop or make one your self if so inclined. I'll even post the 3D models to help somebody blast some out on a NC machine if they like.

I'll post some pics when I've got something to share...

Like riding the bike, I enjoy building stuff too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is a smart looking design that could be modified to suit more than just the Garmin. I have access to a machine shop and I'd be very interested also. :)

·
Registered
757 Posts
iphone? :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just thought I'd share my latest endevor with you folks. .... Modeled this in Alibre Design and will start cutting chips ASAP.
:yeah:very nice design work / idea:think: Slick, simple & elegant. If I were you I'd seriously consider hooking up with a shop that can crank these out, with the modular design it appears it would fit most non-clipon bars with a few different length top plates & hole patterns.

Already got the design, could be a sweet little side business:cool:

·
Registered
132 Posts
+1 very intrested if you sell them I want one!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Macintard;
I didn't know Alibre had such nice photo rendering, that is beautiful!

There is another thread here on powering the GPS. It has this link to a weather resistant USB power plug. It has a circuit breaker built in and is very high quality.

I purchased one and drilled and tapped a couple holes in the handle bar clamp to mount it. Maybe you can incorporate it into your design. I had modeled up a new handle bar clamp that incorporated the USB plug but never got around to machining it up.

BurnsMoto - Motorcycle, ATV, Boat, RV - USB Weatherproof Power Socket - USB Charger with optional SAE to USB
Michael

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Macintard;
I didn't know Alibre had such nice photo rendering, that is beautiful!

There is another thread here on powering the GPS. It has this link to a weather resistant USB power plug. It has a circuit breaker built in and is very high quality.

I purchased one and drilled and tapped a couple holes in the handle bar clamp to mount it. Maybe you can incorporate it into your design. I had modeled up a new handle bar clamp that incorporated the USB plug but never got around to machining it up.

BurnsMoto - Motorcycle, ATV, Boat, RV - USB Weatherproof Power Socket - USB Charger with optional SAE to USB
Michael
The rendering software is Keyshot that Alibre has been offering as a maintenance renewal perk. Alibre does include "PhotoRender" with I believe the "Pro" & "Expert" flavors of Alibre Design. I've had Expert for quite a while, so Keyshot was basically a freebie for me.

Incorporating a USB Plug into the mount would certainly open up a vast array of possibilities, especially for those GPS setups that don't supply power as part of the mount. Myself, I've got the Garmin rugged mount for my Montana that can be wired in to the bike to provide power to the GPS unit. iPhone & Android phone users could certainly benefit from a powered USB Plug.

Kurt

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
GPS Mount - Progress Update

Got some more machining done today and the clamp portion of the setup is coming along well (see pic). On to the fun stuff, cutting the parts in two, tapping the holes and dressing up the edges (makes it go faster :rolleyes:).

To anyone that's downloaded the drawings, I left off the diameters for the holes in the upper part of the clamp, they are .250" for the smaller holes and .312" for the large ones. Have fun ;)

Kurt

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just a few laps to go!

Finished up the GPS Mount Clamps today, minus maybe a shot of color, and bolted them on the bike (see pic).

I'd offer to make you guys some of these if I had some fancier machines, or if I was retired :eek:, but that's a few years away at the earliest :think:.

But, I'll answer any questions to help somebody through making these, the drawings don't tell you how to make them, just what they should look like when they're done. As i said earlier in the thread, I'll post the 3D models to help kick start anybody that wants to take a stab at making some of these. I've got a few tweeks to make first, but it will be soon. I'll update and post updated drawings incorporating those tweeks, mostly little things to make them easier to run on a NC machine.

Keep you folks posted :D

PS - Thanks for all the compliments...

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Time for a test ride!

Finished all but hooking up the power, but no reason we can't go for a test ride.:D Will probably put some Loctite on the threads latter, just to make sure things don't loosen up over time. Attached a few pics with the GPS unit in place.

Kurt

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts