Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 4500 miles on my V4S. While I like the idea of using the phone for nav and having it plugged in and safely in the compartment, there are some issues. Any air temps above 80 degrees and the heat inside the compartment starts to degrade the performance of the phone. That is really inconvenient when you are trying to find your way in an unfamiliar area. Also, the Sygic nav system is often difficult to use if you want to create specific routes. I have made a number of them using the online Sygic maps tool and downloaded them with mixed success. The app has a tendency to do its own thing and it is hard to put in enough waypoints to force it the way you want to go. I am considering mounting my BMW Nav V unit for an upcoming trip across a few states. Who thought I would be looking fondly at using Base Camp again!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a mount that might work? It doesn't seem like there is a lot of handlebar room to work with.

Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a 5" TomTom mounted on a XGrip mount. The TomTom is connected to my cell phone for google map traffic updates. I go on the TomTom website and generate all my routes then download to the GPS. Just finished a 2400 mile trip through Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada and back to California. Everything went great in respect to the GPS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. I had not seen the Givi bracket. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada V4S, 2015 KTM Superduke 1290
22 Posts
I have about 4500 miles on my V4S. While I like the idea of using the phone for nav and having it plugged in and safely in the compartment, there are some issues. Any air temps above 80 degrees and the heat inside the compartment starts to degrade the performance of the phone. That is really inconvenient when you are trying to find your way in an unfamiliar area. Also, the Sygic nav system is often difficult to use if you want to create specific routes. I have made a number of them using the online Sygic maps tool and downloaded them with mixed success. The app has a tendency to do its own thing and it is hard to put in enough waypoints to force it the way you want to go. I am considering mounting my BMW Nav V unit for an upcoming trip across a few states. Who thought I would be looking fondly at using Base Camp again!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a mount that might work? It doesn't seem like there is a lot of handlebar room to work with.

Thanks.
I decided to go with the Iconic mount and a Garmin Zumo XT. I very much like the set up. I found Sygic impossible to use for me and I like a separate dedicated screen for my GPS. The Zumo XT is an amazing piece of kit. Pics attached. Not sure why it looks crooked. Must be the angle.

Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle
Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle
Plant Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire
Plant Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

Reactions: brianc

·
Registered
134 Posts
For mounting to a handlebar, Tackform makes some very nice all metal mounts.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Thanks for posting Jason, that's the setup I'm going for also, once I pull the trigger on the Zumo XT. I prefer Google maps and a phone but I am not 100% of the durability / waterproofness of that setup on longer touring trips.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for posting Jason, that's the setup I'm going for also, once I pull the trigger on the Zumo XT. I prefer Google maps and a phone but I am not 100% of the durability / waterproofness of that setup on longer touring trips.
FYI, Evo-Tech makes some nice handlebar mounts for phones if that is the direction you want to go.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Love the look of the upper mount but I don't like losing easy windscreen adjustability so I opted for a bar mount...

·
Registered
502 Posts
FYI, Evo-Tech makes some nice handlebar mounts for phones if that is the direction you want to go.
Thanks, I already have a handlebar mount and it's not the direction i want to go. While it makes phone manipulation easier while riding (shouldn't be doing that anyway!) it interferes with a potential tank bag at full lock based on where I have it currently - and it works ok for where I have it currently. Above the dash is the optimal placement for a phone / GPS imho.

Also imho evotech makes ok stuff, but the Perfect Squeeze mount from Hondo Garage is amazingly top notch, I would highly recommend it over anything else.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks, I already have a handlebar mount and it's not the direction i want to go. While it makes phone manipulation easier while riding (shouldn't be doing that anyway!) it interferes with a potential tank bag at full lock based on where I have it currently - and it works ok for where I have it currently. Above the dash is the optimal placement for a phone / GPS imho.

Also imho evotech makes ok stuff, but the Perfect Squeeze mount from Hondo Garage is amazingly top notch, I would highly recommend it over anything else.
Agree with you on the tank bag clearance. For some reason the tank bag on this bike would interfere with any handlebar mount. I move my tank bag from bike to bike (KTM Superduke 1290, BMW S1000XR) and there isn’t a lot of clearance between the bag and handlebars. It’s a small nit pick but something I noticed. However, I usually just toss my phone in the tank bag and control my music (rarely use the phone) from the Zumo.

Reactions: brianc

·
Registered
502 Posts
triple clamp crossbar type mount
- DRC PRODUCTS -

Not bad but based on where it sits, it would still hit a tank bag. And even so - the placement in the pic on their page makes it look like it might block some of the dash display?
I don't see a cost but it can't be too much cheaper than the Iconic mount that mounts above the windscreen adjuster front and center.

·
Registered
22 Posts
that puts the screen in a good place. i have a 276cx that is about 2 inches wider, it's hard to tell from the pics, do you think wider would be or the black plastic things on either side would interfere?
I’m using an Iconic mount that moves the GPS out a bit. I think the GPS would clear the black plastic things on either side. That’s my best guess anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts