Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious about finding a nice, low profile GPS mount that will fit the SF848. I did find another thread in which someone had made a mount; other than that, I've seen the Ram mounts (big n ugly). does anyone have an idea or experience with a mount that is a good fit for the SF and doesn't look like shit? is that a possible request???

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I am curious about finding a nice, low profile GPS mount that will fit the SF848. I did find another thread in which someone had made a mount; other than that, I've seen the Ram mounts (big n ugly). does anyone have an idea or experience with a mount that is a good fit for the SF and doesn't look like shit? is that a possible request???
Ive got a ram mount. i get alot of compliments on it with my iphone, more than the bike:mad: when im not using the cradle i take it off then its just a small black ball, even that can easily be taken off in a about a minute. it will take you longer to get the tools out of the tool box:) I wish i had pick of the hole set up but im usually using the phone by then. I don't think you will find anything to sturdy that isn't well built.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Use your iPhone.....there are loads of cheap GPS apps and the waterproof cases are available through ebay:

iPhone 4 Tough Waterproof Case With Pro Motorcycle Handle Bar Mount - YouTube
unrelated to motos but thanks Johnny, at the end of the video i noticed the water proof holder in the bottom right corner. ive seriously been looking for a nice water proof iphone case for years. ive bought a couple cheep ones off ebay but had to take the phone out to take pics. this one will be perfect for the fishing season:D

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,232 Posts
I had the ram mount for gps or smartycam and datalogger. If I find a pic I'll post a link. Use the short ram mount and it looks fine.
The ram mount gave the best image stabilization which is paramount to viewing a gps, getting good video from a gopro and getting good audio. The rubber balls isolate the units being held very well. If you look at my youtube channel you can see a few videos. GILLY'S YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Auto corect disabledh

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the feedback everyone. I will look at the ram mounts again. the iPhone idea is also pretty cool...I really like that case/mount system.

·
Registered
774 Posts
There's a great GPS rider app for the iPhone here in Oz that's (so far) faultless and runs off the satellites for free (no data / cell roaming charges) just like regular GPS.......for $15 app store price it has just made every $300-400 motorbike GPS system redundant.

Those waterproof cases are just what we bikers needed; touch screen still works and they come with a hard-wired disconnect to power you iPhone straight off the bike's battery.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Id use a GoPro handlebar mount. its small and slim, you can just stick the adapter to the back of your GPS and click onto the handle bar mount.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's a great GPS rider app for the iPhone here in Oz that's (so far) faultless and runs off the satellites for free (no data / cell roaming charges) just like regular GPS.......for $15 app store price it has just made every $300-400 motorbike GPS system redundant.

Those waterproof cases are just what we bikers needed; touch screen still works and they come with a hard-wired disconnect to power you iPhone straight off the bike's battery.
what's the name of the app?

·
Premium Member
12,281 Posts
As with nearly anything it is subjective what looks good and how well it works.
hard part is trying to figure out what will do and for how much...

·
Registered
465 Posts
My Zumo 660 came with a RAM mount that is very similar to the Adaptiv one - it mounts to the brake or clutch master cylinder/mirror clamp. The hot shoe for the display includes a small plastic cover to seal the contacts from the weather when the display is not mounted. For me, the functionality is definitely worth the small loss of "form".

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,281 Posts
you can go hog wild and get a Tourtaech locking mount , a few hundred $$$ and no one will walk away with it ...

·
Registered
546 Posts
I might go with THIS for our next trip, but below is my current setup, which honestly works perfectly fine....

This is an easy $45 solution. I've never been crazy about the RAM mounts because of how high they sit. I have a Nuvi 550 and ordered 2 different mounts to try out. I ended up using parts from each. I've had it on there for about 7 months with absolutely no problems.

I used the top part (the actual mounting bracket) of this:

I used the bottom, handle-bar mount off the mount pictured below. The ball mount from the garmin scooter mount pictured above fit perfectly into the bicycle mount's ball-socket. The bicycle mount isn't going anywhere. It stays put.

If you're wondering why not just keep the mount that was on the bicycle mount....it was ridiculously hard to mount and/or remove the unit from it. The Garmin scooter mount has a release latch that works great. Conversely, the bottom bracket of the scooter mount was equally awful.

here's some pics of it on the bike:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
hand made bracket with ram mount

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts