Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
blown00rado said:
My 1000DS is set to arrive next week...Has anyone done a GP shift on their SS? I haven't looked close enough but can I just flip the linkage over? Any help would be appreciated...

Brett

On my old 900ss the shifter is just flipped over without the linkage and it works fine. As long as the distange is ok for your toe, flipping should work ok.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 1000ds with GP shift. The slave cylinder is in the way, so flipping the linkage won't work without bending it a bit. I just bought a Cycle Cat billet shift lever that connects directly. Works and looks great. I think it was less that $100.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I've been threatening to do this for ages.. I just scare myself out of it. It's not just friends that will do it. Mine is std pattern but there have still been a few times I've banged it the wrong way. Once I had just run it out in 3rd on a down hill straight, went to relax and upshift but banged it down instead.. Locked the back wheel up, I stood up n the pegs so fast as the bike got crossed up and pulled in the clutch that I just considered myself lucky.

I worries me now that I'll just forget one day in the twisties. Oh, never used GP shifting but want to do it just coz I can...

post your outcomes please.

Mal

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
mals900ss said:
I worries me now that I'll just forget one day in the twisties.
I made one for my ST2 (like the CycleCat one, but angled out slightly for clearance reasons). Tried it for a day or two, but went back to standard as I had to think about things too much. I'll try it again this year, though, just to see if I can get used to it.

Tom

·
Registered
319 Posts
Wrong leg

A friend of mine bought an old Norton, it had right side gear lever and GP style pattern.

He rode it a gravel road, and when he thought it was time to brake for a turn he stepped on the wrong lever and accelrated his way out into the bush.

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
mals900ss said:
I've been threatening to do this for ages.. I just scare myself out of it. It's not just friends that will do it. Mine is std pattern but there have still been a few times I've banged it the wrong way. Once I had just run it out in 3rd on a down hill straight, went to relax and upshift but banged it down instead.. Locked the back wheel up, I stood up n the pegs so fast as the bike got crossed up and pulled in the clutch that I just considered myself lucky.

I worries me now that I'll just forget one day in the twisties. Oh, never used GP shifting but want to do it just coz I can...

post your outcomes please.

I had the Acculign Reverse GP shift (very nice rear sets) on my Supersport for around 6 months. I could never get used to it. I had two incidents at speed with mis shifts, once aggressively riding in the hills and another at the track. Its just that my mind says up for upshift and down for downshift. Not with reverse shifting. But thats me, there are many others who love the set up and I do have to say the shifts were solid, unlike the stock linkage. I sold the Acculigns to Rainman, it sounds like he really likes them. Has them on his bike for at least a year now. Another thing: when I bought my 916 I decided to sell the rear sets because with the mis shifts and now I had to buy another reverse set? No, I went back and I'm happy for it.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I've got a reverse shift on my 916 and IMO it's much better, I've never really felt 100% comfortable with 'conventional' shift, (although I've never mis-shifted) maybe because my early bikes had, what is now known as 'reverse' shift (and on the right-hand side!) but it just feels more natural to me to push down when accelerating and up when slowing down, I did try reversing the link when I first got my bike but it didn't work so I got a direct lever, which is also much more positive. :)

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.