Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
...Not sure why you’d bother on the road.
Agreed. I switched my race bikes, and during those years I switched as many of the street bikes as I could, but wouldn't bother with it now. Maybe if I had only one bike...
But it's kind of pointless on the street, IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,424 Posts
"it's kind of pointless on the street "

It could have just as much benefit on the street as the track as many riders do like to ride on the road like it is the track. Obviously these are riders who have not ridden both to know the difference as most track riders are quite conservative on the road knowing the difference. Often poor rider skill = greater lean angles as riders push the bike under them and it is easy to catch a toe.

The other benefit can be theft prevention. Years ago a local racer lost his trailer and race bikes to theft. A shop was sharp enough to know than most owners know how to shift their own bikes so when some guy brought in his 2 bikes for "transmission work" he called the cops with the VIN.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, I have always had "normal" shift pattern on my bikes, and now I have 3 normal and my track day 1098S has race pattern. To complicate my life further my track day SS is normal. So I,m just waiting for a serious misstake to happen.
But I do like the race pattern and am concidering changing on the SS.

·
Registered
‘05 749R, ‘89 851/926, 749R/999RS project
474 Posts
I believe you are much safer converting TO Gp than FROM Gp because most of the time the mistake you make going to gp is upshift which simply makes you slower. Coming FROM Gp you mistakenly do a downshift and that tests those clutch hand reflexes if you do not have a slipper clutch.
This actually makes perfect sense. I’ve ridden GP shift after years of road shift and corner entry is definitely the area I struggled with...it’s that “dollar’s worth of concentration” thing when you are pushing on and there is so much else going on.

Still, not sure I’d bother unless you have a particular track with a loooooong LH corner that demand’s another gear at race pace. Just a track day or road rider? What are you trying to achieve?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think I might try GP shifting. I have got some track fairings that aren't going to fit unless I either cut the fairing or switch to GP shift. I think GP shift might be easier than cutting for me!

·
Premium Member
5,424 Posts
Not always the long high speed corners it is often the lower speed tight corners where you are in a low gear on entry / mid corner and end up too high a rpm on exit quickly due to the low gear. High speed sweepers often give you more time for planning and executing those shifts. I would always prefer the simple down tap to shift up from higher rpms and it is a simpler move than insert foot while not dragging toes and pulling up.

As mentioned it is NOT helpful for everyone and there are plenty of go fast champions who are happy with what they know. I would find it interesting to know what they preferred about the convetional pattern or if they were those riders who just got on and rode what they were given to high levels. I have known guys who could ride with sand in their forks and would still go fast and others who would not ride if the tire pressures were off a pound..lol

On many Ducati's it is a easy thing to try and see if it works for you, if it does great. If not well that's fine too.

·
Registered
1997 748
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yes, certainly it is a preference thing. I'd even go so far as to say no opinion matters but the rider of the bike in question.

The direct shift lever feels more "tight" than the linkage, as for "why would you want this on the street" comments, I do plan on tracking it occasionally, and attending a riding/race school this year. And this is my only bike, so why NOT? The only issue seems to be muscle memory, and that is no problem for me, apparently.

Either way, I like it, it's definitely staying that way.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've got GP shift on my track bike and Standard on my street bike. After a year or two of having them that way switching between bikes is no issue. As mentioned, my GP shift setup on the track bike is more "Direct" than the standard setup, making it feel much better in addition other benefits.

It also helps that the track bike has a slipper clutch :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
Still, not sure I’d bother unless you have a particular track with a loooooong LH corner that demand’s another gear at race pace. Just a track day or road rider? What are you trying to achieve?
1: wank value
2: another personalisation
3: because it’s so damn easy to do
4: when one of the guys in the group on his new ZX10 offers you a ride and swap bikes thinking it’s a fair exchange, can’t gp shift.
5: Ducati has a race heritage, makes others just nod.
6: confuses the guy on his suzuki beside you at the lights when he sees you clunk first.
7: more definite up shifts.
8: wank value

21 - 32 of 32 Posts