Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the opportunity to ride my SF at Sear Point the last couple of days...incredible bike once I figured out how to position my right foot to deal with the exhaust guard :)

Very stable braking, nice smooth engine and very nimble. The front end wasn't as planted as the 1098S but still a competent track bike!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Great pics!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
once I figured out how to position my right foot to deal with the exhaust guard :)
I'm having the same issue with the right foot. What did you find to work on the track?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm having the same issue with the right foot. What did you find to work on the track?
Raised my heel quite a bit from my usual stance...snuck it in the space where the two headers meet near the top of the heat shield. That also prevented my toe sliders from hitting on hard right hand turns.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Way cool, I was on the track last week with 3 Time Moto GP Champ Freddie Spencer on my 848( track bike). It was a ball and I learned a lot riding behind him and in classroom. I can't wait to see what my new streetfighter will be like on the track even though I will mainly use it for the street since I have a dedicated track bike.

It's cool to see someone out there with a Steetfighter. I can not seen any yet at the track this year.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What level did you have the TC set to? How did it work? Did you use the DDA?
DTC set to level 3.
DDA on the bike but I haven't messed with it yet.

I can tell you that I am more aggressive with the throttle as compared to my 1098S and didn't have any issues to contend with. It comes on smoothly and the bike just drives forward. I will need to make sure I don't mess my timing up when riding the 1098 or I may end up on my head :eek:

The StreetFighter is a heck of a bike, highly recommended for those that haven't had the chance to ride one yet. I bought mine at Ducati Seattle and I know they have a couple more ready for new owners ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
DTC set to level 3.
DDA on the bike but I haven't messed with it yet.

I can tell you that I am more aggressive with the throttle as compared to my 1098S and didn't have any issues to contend with. It comes on smoothly and the bike just drives forward. I will need to make sure I don't mess my timing up when riding the 1098 or I may end up on my head :eek:

The StreetFighter is a heck of a bike, highly recommended for those that haven't had the chance to ride one yet. I bought mine at Ducati Seattle and I know they have a couple more ready for new owners ;)

Awesome. I haven't had a chance to ride on on the track yet. Hopefully by the end of the season I will...

·
Registered
736 Posts
Great pics and your form looks terrific. I would be interested in learning how your lap times compare with the SF and the 1098. Although it would seem they would be lower with the 1098, it's just possible that you could come off the turns faster with the DTC. The wind resistance on the SF would definitely be a slowing factor.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Way cool, I was on the track last week with 3 Time Moto GP Champ Freddie Spencer on my 848( track bike). It was a ball and I learned a lot riding behind him and in classroom. I can't wait to see what my new streetfighter will be like on the track even though I will mainly use it for the street since I have a dedicated track bike.

It's cool to see someone out there with a Steetfighter. I can not seen any yet at the track this year.
Do I read it right - Freddie Spencer reopened his school? Could you provide details?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Had the opportunity to ride my SF at Sear Point the last couple of days...incredible bike once I figured out how to position my right foot to deal with the exhaust guard :)

Very stable braking, nice smooth engine and very nimble. The front end wasn't as planted as the 1098S but still a competent track bike!!
I love Sears, such a fun track. Did the SF wheelie like crazy coming out of turn 8? Did you happen to notice the DTC coming on at any particular spot, like the carousel, or 9B?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great pics and your form looks terrific. I would be interested in learning how your lap times compare with the SF and the 1098. Although it would seem they would be lower with the 1098, it's just possible that you could come off the turns faster with the DTC. The wind resistance on the SF would definitely be a slowing factor.
SF 1:54 vs 1098S 1:50

For me the limiting factor with the SF is the exhaust/shield contraption getting in the way of my foot. The pegs also need to be raised for more clearance as I was grinding them off at the tips.

I love Sears, such a fun track. Did the SF wheelie like crazy coming out of turn 8? Did you happen to notice the DTC coming on at any particular spot, like the carousel, or 9B?
I'm too wimpy to hit the throttle that hard on exits, the DTC comes on so smoothly that I may not have noticed it kicking in. But yes it does wheelie out of 8 and 9B ;)

I didn't have the slipper on the SF there's more time that can be shaved to get closer to the 1098 times. It sure was fun to sneak up on superbikes though :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm too wimpy to hit the throttle that hard on exits, the DTC comes on so smoothly that I may not have noticed it kicking in. But yes it does wheelie out of 8 and 9B ;)
I know what you mean. After a couple of near-highsides and 30 years of your brain programmed to "roll the throttle on smoothly" I'm not sure I could completely trust the DTC to not spit me off. I think only C. Stoner has that level of confidence.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I know what you mean. After a couple of near-highsides and 30 years of your brain programmed to "roll the throttle on smoothly" I'm not sure I could completely trust the DTC to not spit me off. I think only C. Stoner has that level of confidence.
With DTC on 3 I'd be leary too, but I'm thinkin that once it cools down, I'll be at a local track and I'm gonna whack open the throttle coming out of a corner with DTC on 8. I expect (and pray) that I will barely feel a slide before it cuts power to the wheel, and then I can go down DTC levels from there.

·
Registered
206 Posts
With DTC on 3 I'd be leary too, but I'm thinkin that once it cools down, I'll be at a local track and I'm gonna whack open the throttle coming out of a corner with DTC on 8. I expect (and pray) that I will barely feel a slide before it cuts power to the wheel, and then I can go down DTC levels from there.
Be sure to let us know how that works out. :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
For me the limiting factor with the SF is the exhaust/shield contraption getting in the way of my foot. The pegs also need to be raised for more clearance as I was grinding them off at the tips.
I recently rented a SF for 7 days and I left some noticeable bruises on the black swingarm. Not as annoying as the exhaust/shield on the right side, but still annoying from a cosmetic point of view.

I see you didn't particularly try to protect your SF from a potential spill at the track. No frame sliders, no covers... I'm only hesitating to buy a SF because I'd like to do track days with my bike (can't afford two bikes) and the SF, being a naked bike, is so exposed...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Awesome Bong... looking good! Looks like you really venture out to the N. California tracks! I'll try for THill and Sears Point next year

I'm taking my SF (and my R6) to Pacific Raceways next week and am really looking forward to it!! :cool:

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Bong,

Which tires were you on?

I did 2 track days on the stock OEM Diablo SC's, with the dtc on L4, on my 1198S. Rolled on the throttle smoothly, didn't trail brake much. But the tires did well for what they are (being OEM...).

Switched to Dunlop N-tech 211GP's. Brought the dtc to L2. Trail braked the hell out of my bike, and mashed the throttle coming out of corners! Never a burp. I saw the dtc lights on only one time because the rear end was bouncing around hitting the brakes into a bus-stop corner, but other than that, no problems at all getting real aggressive with it.

The question I'm thinking is, now that you've taken the SF to the track, do you think it would benefit from an offset triple, such as Nichols or Dan Kyle?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oem Diablo Corsa III - they stuck like glue for the two days I was there.

The front doesn't feel as planted as the 1098S but that may be due to me getting used to the bike.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts