Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had mine installed with a full termi system yet I wonder why it does say
FOR RACE USE ONLY on it.

Is it a bad thing (for the engine and all) to ride with these on everyday and never switch back to the stock exhaust? Will it do any harm during long term usage?

p.s. do not use the tip end silencer neither....

·
You're gonna love my nuts...
1,658 Posts
I'll bite.

It depends on what your local laws have defined 'race use' as. It could be the sound levels are louder than what is allowed for street. It could be emissions related as the full system eliminates the cat. Some countries do not allow ANY modifications to a vehicle, such as alternative/additional equipment.

You could always err on the side of caution and have your dealer install the exhaust quick disconnect which will allow you to swap back and forth to the original pipe on the fly.......

:D

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
here in cali the situation continues to deteriorate. if cited with a fix-it ticket, and IF ticketed again thereafter for the same infraction, the citation becomes more punitive.

yes, it's becoming that tough. :mad:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
No it will not cause damage to your bike. Most systems (including ones made for cars) have to say "For Race Use Only" on them in order to meet a lot of different countries' laws letting you know that the system eliminates the main emissions hardware on your bike which is the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Same as Power Commander V. Box clearly states 'WARNING...for use on racing vehicles on closed courses......'. As people have said...all to do with law...and the companies protecting themselves. Up to you to be happy with the compliance (or otherwise) of your local laws.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the quick replies :)

Because of a racing exhaust and elimination of the middle cat (got 2) my car got its o2 sensors melted, coils burnt and some ceramic coating in the first-end cat got all broken due to excesive heat (they sad). Although the exhaust was a major brand it wasn't specifically designed for the car etc...

This is the reason that suddenly scared me thats all :)

Chears...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Thanks for all the quick replies :)

Because of a racing exhaust and elimination of the middle cat (got 2) my car got its o2 sensors melted, coils burnt and some ceramic coating in the first-end cat got all broken due to excesive heat (they sad). Although the exhaust was a major brand it wasn't specifically designed for the car etc...

This is the reason that suddenly scared me thats all :)

Chears...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorcycle.com Free App
That could happen in cars because a lot of them now come with two inline catalytic converters. When one is eliminated the other one has to do all the work and gets even hotter than before. When you eliminate the cat on the MTS it actually will lower the temperatures created in the piping by a lot.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just had mine installed with a full termi system yet I wonder why it does say
FOR RACE USE ONLY on it.

Is it a bad thing (for the engine and all) to ride with these on everyday and never switch back to the stock exhaust? Will it do any harm during long term usage?

p.s. do not use the tip end silencer neither....

I have the full termi system on my bike and love it. I never run the silencer and the bike runs way better and sounds way better. I'm not an expert, but from what I have been told, getting rid of the catalytic converter (stock exhaust) allows the bike to run cooler and breath easier. That can only be good for the bike. My problems is what to do with the old exhaust system. It is so big and heavy. Someone of the forum referred to it as a cow udder.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts