Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after about a year, I finally had the time and money to get a custom map in my Power Commander. Prior to this, I had just used the map that was on the PowerCommander page and just tweaked it where I was feeling some issues.

I had Metric Tech here in McKinney, Texas do the tuning for me. Dean Phelps.

Going to get the Monster S4R done next Wednesday as well. I'll be sure to post up the results!

The bike is a 2002 900 SuperSport. Performance mods are the Ducati Performance High Mount carbon pipes, K&N filter, Air Box Mod, and Power Commander USB III.

Thoughts? Should it be more? Less? Average?

·
Registered
2000 M900Sie, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille-R, 2x 1981Guzzi Monzas, IWL Pity, Piaggio Hexagon, PX Vespa
539 Posts
I would have thought a bit more torque.

My bike has the same mods, plus Brad Black's cam timing specs. a 99 900ssie.

Chris

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
chris900ssie said:
I would have thought a bit more torque.

My bike has the same mods, plus Brad Black's cam timing specs. a 99 900ssie.

Chris
Look again. Torque is in ft/lbs, not NM like yours.

Seems pretty average considering you haven´t touched the cams.
A dyno is just a test. You´ll never get the same figures on two diffrent dynos, the trick is to do all the runs on the same dyno to see what changes after a mod.

Here is Brad´s "Moto-One" bike
http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/900ssfi.html
GREEN: Stock
BLUE: Staintune carbon fibre mufflers and an FIM remapped ECU (Works like a powercommander)
RED: Staintune carbon fibre mufflers and an FIM remapped ECU AND CAMS TIMED

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice!

so what's this cam timing mod?

linky?

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/900ssfi.html
OR
http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/index.html

Camtiming explained.
http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/camdial.html

But essentially what you do is get the intake to open earlier and reset the exhaust cams. This moves the power band down in rpm, but CAN result in some loss at the high end. That doesn´t really matter, since your seldom at peak rpm´s for more then a few seconds, but more usable power at 4000-6000 rpm is where you ride.

As you can see on the graph´s above the power at 6000 RPM is 10 Ft/lbs AND 10 hp more then stock AND about 5 ft/lbs and 5 hp more then with all the mods.

That means more power on tap at any given moment.

Camdialing isn´t anything magical. You can possibly do it yourself (if your REALLY good at service stuff). Read about it on Brads homepage and maybe mail him a very polite question on what specs he would go with. He might give you a solid answer and he might not, but he is usually a very polite guy who really likes to help.

EDIT: What you actually DO is to set the opening and closing of the cams diffrently then they are set today. Thjat means disassembling and removing the wheel from the cam and inserting offset timers. These can be bought at a Ducati service dealer, but you must specify what offset you want.

Doing the actually job is pretty straightforward if you know about this stuff, the real problem is in the math and knowing HOW the cams are suppose to be set. I´ve left that up to others.Your service dealer SHOULD be able to do this, but it takes awhile. Perhaps 8 hours of work? I´m not sure. A friend of mine did 2 bikes in 2 days and those where 4v 996´s.

//amullo

·
Registered
235 Posts
+1 on Brad. Great guy with a ton of knowledge. STM makes a set of adjustable pulleys that make the job easier, and the later heads have them as stock, though I'm not sure what years. It does take patience, proper tools and proper information, though. Missetting your cam timing can really ruin your day (and your valves).

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could have sworn that the later models with the adjustable ones include my model?

can anyone confirm this?

This is something I'd really like to do, if it's something that will benefit me in my specific situation.

supersparky750 said:
+1 on Brad. Great guy with a ton of knowledge. STM makes a set of adjustable pulleys that make the job easier, and the later heads have them as stock, though I'm not sure what years. It does take patience, proper tools and proper information, though. Missetting your cam timing can really ruin your day (and your valves).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Pull your belt covers. The adjustable pulleys have allen screws around the main central nut holding the adjustable outer to the fixed inner. I want to say that they started in '01, but I can't be sure.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess that if I had just spent some time originally and read the links posted I would know the answer to this alread...lol

Up until the 2V models of 2001, all the belt drive engines have come with cam pullies that are not adjustable.
found it within the first few lines of this page: http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/camdial.html

:D

·
Registered
241 Posts
Wtf?

Hey I hate to piss all over your guys new shoes, but you can't separate the cam timing of the intake and exhaust cams on a two valve motor!

The exhaust and intake valves are operated from the same camshaft! This is why there is only one pulley! One pulley=one camshaft!
With adjustable pulleys you can set the timing spot on but no way are you going to narrow or widen the cam lobe centers of either the intake or exhaust cam lobes.

You guys are scaring me! : )

Here's how it's done...

http://www.ducatitech.com/2v/maint/rebuild/headwork.html

·
Super Moderator
8,216 Posts
Your correct. I´m talking about my 4v desmoquattro..

My bad.

//amullo

·
Registered
235 Posts
And you will notice in Brad's article on 2v cam timing that he has found most ducatis to be not only off of factory stated spec, but different between cylinders, so even in our 2v bikes there are gains to be had.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts