Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
... that adrenaline wears off after a few dozen hours, that's when you feel like you got your ass kicked with a 2x4. And the older we get, the longer it takes to recover. You got lucky, and THAT I am happy for!

:)

·
Registered
949 Posts
Glad you're ok Dave.
Motorcycle parts are replaceable, body parts not as much.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Happy to hear you're ok Dave, always hate to hear about an accident caused by someone not paying attention, a buddy of mine lost that battle against a 80 y.o. lady.
Cheers!
(Time to add a stebel air horn to that ride.)

Reactions: DaveK

·
Registered
496 Posts
Glad you are ok.
I was in Ithaca 2 days ago! Had lunch with a friend who lives in NY. Fam and I were visiting the FLX. Had lunch at the Ithaca Ale House.

·
Registered
10 Posts
glad everyone is ok. was this guy texting or something else to distract? crossing another lane of traffic (without looking) to take a turn seems like a pretty big mistake. he could have killed someone.

·
Registered
112 Posts
After being hit 3 times in my area, I gave up riding around here. My 851 is pickled and sitting in my office to remove the temptation!

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
glad everyone is ok. was this guy texting or something else to distract? crossing another lane of traffic (without looking) to take a turn seems like a pretty big mistake. he could have killed someone.
Young kid, had his wife and kid with him, they were trying to figure out where they were going so distracted. Sounds like maybe he's not the most attentive driver (he mentioned he'd had fender benders in the past)... and turning from the middle lane is not indicative of solid road skills. He was pretty shook up so I couldn't bring myself to be a dick about it... but my wife gave him shit.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Oh man, so sorry to hear you got hit - but really glad you're okay! Certainly could have been much worse. Definitely confirmation of why I so rarely ride in the city. Too many distracted drivers.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Same here... I avoid large cities like the Plague... Ithaca isn't large but the traffic patterns there are very congested (too many people in too small an area).

·
Registered
387 Posts
Glad you are okay and we all can learn from this. Never assume, plenty of stupid and distracted drivers out there, prepare for the worst and hope for the best, always know where your escape paths are and always wear your gear! Everyone should know How, Where and What to look for when they are riding.

Everyone should also look into taking additional formal training. Whether its going to the track or taking an experience riding class offered locally in your area. I'm always looking to improve as a rider. And I ride everyday, I havent owned a car in almost two decades.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Glad you are okay and we all can learn from this. Never assume, plenty of stupid and distracted drivers out there, prepare for the worst and hope for the best, always know where your escape paths are and always wear your gear! Everyone should know How, Where and What to look for when they are riding.

Everyone should also look into taking additional formal training. Whether its going to the track or taking an experience riding class offered locally in your area. I'm always looking to improve as a rider. And I ride everyday, I havent owned a car in almost two decades.
Agree... the thing I'd add is that sometimes there's nothing you can do. If I'd been looking directly at the guy when he started his turn I might STILL have been collected... there was nowhere to go (car at the intersection, curb so I couldn't drive off the road, and him rapidly consuming my lane as he turned. I've had the same thing happen in cars with deer... last time I hit one he was running full speed down a driveway behind a row of trees, there was no way I could have seen him until he was on the side of the road and he jumped from the side of the road to maybe 20 feet in front of me. At 60mph I had just enough time to register that he was there before I hit him (no time to get on the brakes).

So dress for the fall... no matter how talented a rider you are it'll happen eventually. The bike landed on my leg but no damage... I got a bruise on my elbow but through armor so a lot milder than it would have been, and a finger took a hit but gloves prevented scrub damage (just had a bruise).

·
Registered
387 Posts
Well I wasn't there so I really can't say it was avoidable or not. Whenever I ride I always try to have an escape path. I dont let myself get trapped. I will say this, humans are predictable. But when it comes to wildlife, that is my number 1 fear riding a bike. Even if you are lucky enough to see one, you have no idea what they are going to do. They are so unpredictable.

Fortunately I have yet to collide with anything. I consider myself lucky, i rode for over a decade in Las Vegas, I consider that city as one of the most challenging places to ride.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I follow the same policy... it definitely helps but it's still just reducing my risk, I ride 12,000 miles a year and average >20k miles a year on the road - so eventually even a low risk was bound to catch up to me. This is the first multi-vehicle accident I've had in 35 years of riding/driving... so I definitely agree defensive riding/driving makes a difference - but don't expect it to protect you 100%.

Reactions: t-bills

·
Registered
387 Posts
1st crash involving another vehicle in 35 years of driving/riding, thats a number Im sure everyone will take. I'm in the same area, when I was like 20, some old lady ran a red light and broad sided me in my pick up. Im 56 years old. I've washed out on my bike a few times due to slick roads on my FZ6, but I have always been able to get up, pick up my bike and ride away because I always had full gear on. No road rash, just bruised. My Motoport Kevlar Air Mesh riding pants taking the brunt of the crash every time saving my legs.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
1st crash involving another vehicle in 35 years of driving/riding, thats a number Im sure everyone will take. I'm in the same area, when I was like 20, some old lady ran a red light and broad sided me in my pick up. Im 56 years old. I've washed out on my bike a few times due to slick roads on my FZ6, but I have always been able to get up, pick up my bike and ride away because I always had full gear on. No road rash, just bruised. My Motoport Kevlar Air Mesh riding pants taking the brunt of the crash every time saving my legs.
I ride my bikes on dirt quite a bit (not so much with the Multi since it takes so long to clean but my Tiger has knobbies on it and is on dirt every ride... and is not clean very often) so have ended up on the ground a fair number of times due to my own mistakes over the years on dirt (where I'm more of a risk taker)... but on the road with others I try to be more careful/defensive (especially in cities). I really do believe it's just a matter of luck and odds... every time I get on the bike I know there's a chance things could go sideways in a way that's beyond my control... but I'd not give it up even so (as long as I'm healthy enough to ride... and my Dad is over 80 and still rides so I can hope for that).

·
Hammer Down
1,648 Posts
Glad to see you’re okay! I’d imagine your wife was upset watching it all unfold in front of her, therefore giving the guy a little bit of a hard time.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
She yelled at the guy, but he was so apologetic that she laid off pretty quickly (we're not the kind of people who can beat up someone who already feels like shit, though maybe he deserved it).

The adjuster for the other guys insurance company seemed to think that nobody paints motorcycle panels... that seemed odd to me especially given the tank cover is almost $900... has to be cheaper to paint than that.

They didn't total the bike... just cut me a check to replace everything that was damaged.

Guard, Knuckle RH & RH Upper - $94
Cover, Radiator RH (black panel with Ducati on it) - $78
Cover, Radiator RH Red (boomerang panel) - $309
Protector, Fuel Tank Red - $873
Engine Bars, Enduro Pack - $300
Rear-view Mirror , RH - $161

so a couple K including predicted labor...

(assuming there's no internal damage that's everything)

I'm thinking I can get them painted for less (and maybe go tricolore), I'll start a thread asking for shop endorsements.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts