Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ithaca ny in the left lane of a 3 lane one way road, red pickup decided to turn left from the middle lane and took me out. Luckily I was riding with my wife on her Ural so SLOW.

bars took most of the abuse, and hand guards.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Did they stop?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Crap, that sucks. Well recovered. Hope you get it sorted without too much hassle...

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Did not keep it up... was in 3rd so given that i was with my wife i was at Ural pace. So between 29 and 34 mph when i saw him... had maybe a second to react (maybe less) hit the brakes and slow before I hit him. Hitting him kicked the steering left and i ended up dropping the same side that hit him. Not much of a slide so most of my velocity was off by then. Put 4-6” long divots in his quarter panel and door. If there’s no hidden damag on the multi the it’ll cost a lot more to repair his truck than the bike.

My wife actually added that from her perspective (behind me) it looked like I hit my brakes and turned with the truck, got partway around the intersection and then hit the truck and continued on a bit but that by the time I was away from the truck I was nearly stopped. Whole thing took a few seconds from the guy trying to make a fast turn to me wondering why a #[email protected])'ing truck was in front of me and ending up on the ground trying not to get run over.

And THAT's why I avoid riding in cities. Out in the boonie if something happens it's almost certainly going to be my own damned fault.

Just realized that this is the first time I've ever been in a multi-vehicle accident with any vehicle in my life. (I've hit deer fairly regularly over the years in my cars) Guess I should be happy it was so minor.

Reactions: DucmanST3

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Those touratech bars are awesome. Yes they stopped and we had a cop come and write up a report. Noticed a chip in the paint atound 7oclock from the ‘D’ on the tank cover... may need to repaint to repair so a few bucks there and a new hand guard. Guy might get off cheap.

Guy (who from my perspective was almost a kid... 30 maybe) had his wife and kid with him and was pretty upset... sounded like he might have had a few of these happen in the past, needs to pay more attention.

Feels like my elbow also contacted the truck. Had on my Alpinestars T-GP Plus R Air summer jacket, which has impact protection but thin and very basic compared to my Rev-It Sand 3. Even so... since all the impacts were relatively mild I got off with not much more than a bruise... which I didn't even notice at the scene.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Actually happened way to fast for me to feel scared... what bothers me more is how long I had to think about it to piece it all back together, rattled my brain a bit I guess. One interesting bit is that the bike shut off by itself (don't think it stalled) and the 4-ways were on... makes me wonder if there's an "oh shit" mode triggered by the IMU...

Paint chip and scrapes, minor but probably still going to cost some money to fix. Also looks like the panels are not fitting together as cleanly as normal... not sure if that means something busted underneath.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Glad you are okay. Could have been worse as you know. A left turning SUV got me 4 years ago. Totaled my Multi, the Volvo, and broke 3 of my ribs + punctured lung. Only road accident I've had in more than 50 years of riding.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad you are okay. Could have been worse as you know. A left turning SUV got me 4 years ago. Totaled my Multi, the Volvo, and broke 3 of my ribs + punctured lung. Only road accident I've had in more than 50 years of riding.
No doubt... I think I have my wife and her 25 or whatever horsepower Ural to thank for some of that - I normally would have been going 40...

Reactions: BigRed

·
Registered
293 Posts
You may feel differently about that bruise tomorrow. When I got hit a couple years ago, I felt basically fine the day of the accident, woke up the next day and felt properly like I'd been hit by a car.

Don't be surprised if the bike isn't totaled out by your insurance.

Important thing is, you walked away.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Important thing is, you walked away.
Amen to that. Anytime you walk away with nothing more than a little soreness and a bruise is a successful outcome. Not that I wish that on anyone.

I've had my own scrape with a Volvo. Young girl moved over on me (merged over) in traffic. It was successful as well.

I felt like I'd been hit by a truck the next day though..but then again, I was. 😕 Got nothing more than a dime sized raspberry on my knee.

My wife was riding on back and got nothing. She landed on me though so only her boot was ground down a bit on the toe.

All our gear held up great...helmets never even touched the ground. That was the only multi vehicle accident I've ever been in astride a motorcycle in the 30 years I've been riding.

Glad you are okay DaveK.

·
Official Retired Person
7,353 Posts
Ouch! Good to hear you are okay. Fix the bike and go try again!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Dave, glad you and your wife are ok. Obviously, it could have been much worse. Any time a bike and car mix it up you are lucky to walk away.

·
Registered
2019 Multistrada PP
99 Posts
Sounds like it could’ve been worse. Glad you’re okay. Yay for crash bars!

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Glad to hear your ok. Motorcyclists do not often get second chances like cage drivers. Sounds like you did a good job of getting everything slowed down enough to to lessen the impact. Hope you get it back together fairly easy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Glad you are ok, DaveK. Hope you're back in the saddle fairly soon.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was a bit uncomfortable sleeping last night (some aches) but again... I've had worse crashes on my mountain bike so I count myself really lucky. Was just watching info about the latest Max Wrist crash, my altercation barely counts as one in comparison - of course those guys ride like they have a death wish so I'm sure they know eventually their number is going to come up... but I still hate to see it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts