Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
got pulled over this morning (BAY AREA, CA)

I was going with traffic and bike cop picked me. 70mph on a 65. While he follows me at 65mph, the rest of traffic is pulling away from us.
He went around the bike and picked on everything.
Full exhaust- guilty
missing reflectors - guilty. Per CA law, you need 5; 2 in front and 2 in the rear, facing sideways, and 1 in the rear facing rearward.
missing rear fender - I was not aware of stock 999's with rear fenders.
following too close - not guilty
license plate under the exhaust - maybe 3in from the end of the muffler. Per cop, the license has to hang behind the bike, not under the exhaust.

No ticket, so obviously I used up all my luck for a while.
Just a warning for fellow riders out there in the Bay Area.

·
Registered
34 Posts
By full exhaust, do you mean, for example, a full termi system? Is it because something like thats just for the tracks?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By full exhaust, do you mean, for example, a full termi system? Is it because something like thats just for the tracks?
I have full system. I believe most, if not all, full exhaust systems are illegal in CA for streeet use

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hey, JC. I have a friend who is a CHP officer and he suggests their general mantra is that they either inspect and lecture or cite, but rarely both (either on the principle that people are more likely to pay attention if you don't end up citing them, or else on the principle that if you're going to take their time up with a lecture, don't compound it by citing them too. Apparently the CHP cares about their image).

Whereabouts were you? The only time I've been stopped (knock on wood) since buying the Duc was on 280 NB just south of the 92 interchange. I sort of lucked out on that one, too, but I played my cards just as I wanted (sadly, I've been stopped enough and had enough tickets that I've learned a bit) and left with a warning. (85 in a 65, no other traffic around).

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hey, JC. I have a friend who is a CHP officer and he suggests their general mantra is that they either inspect and lecture or cite, but rarely both (either on the principle that people are more likely to pay attention if you don't end up citing them, or else on the principle that if you're going to take their time up with a lecture, don't compound it by citing them too. Apparently the CHP cares about their image).

Whereabouts were you? The only time I've been stopped (knock on wood) since buying the Duc was on 280 NB just south of the 92 interchange. I sort of lucked out on that one, too, but I played my cards just as I wanted (sadly, I've been stopped enough and had enough tickets that I've learned a bit) and left with a warning. (85 in a 65, no other traffic around).

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg
going NB on I-80 past Berkeley.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I was standing on the left turning lane (I had full termis) and the cop pulled next to me. He said nice bike :D and drove away.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was that up just before the Bay Bridge? In case you don't know, there is a CHP facility at 7th street, so it's common to see lots more CHP right in that area.

Glad you got skipped, though. :)

i should mention it was on 80 past East Bay

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was standing on the left turning lane (I had full termis) and the cop pulled next to me. He said nice bike :D and drove away.
I have had that happen to me as well. But never had a cop walk around the bike and pick on everything. He was motorcycle cop, too. Maybe he hates Ducs and sportbikes.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I think the Moto CHiPs have more knowledge about what is legal on bikes and what not. It's their job, mostly they want to see if you have your endorsement, registration and insurance. A good portion of riders are missing one of these, and along with the saftey items and speeding they can take your bike. If your papers are in order, and you listen to what they are telling you, then you will get back on the road in short order. I am surprised he didn't give you a "fix-it" reminder and then require a inspection by the DMV to clear it.

The Local PD guys probably don't really know or even care that much. PD are looking to mostly deal with "real crime" and will call you out only if your being a real douche on the road or pull some illegal move right in front of them....or they are bored.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I would have suggested that the state was boosting revenues in hard economic times, but no citation issued... wierd.

That is getting pretty nit-picky. I can understand nailing you for the exhaust, especially in Cali, but the other stuff is rediculous. Although I miss the riding in SoCal, that state is getting pretty rediculous in trying to build their own little eutopia. Glad to hear you got away "free".

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I know you guys on the West Coast are easy going and polite and us East coast guys are rude, uptight. Around here I can't tell you how many idiots I see on sport bikes daily. Sunday it was 3 guys doing wheelies on an interstate. I lost count of the times a no helmet, shorts around his knees and t-shirt half up his back jerk flew by my cage going double the speed limit, weaving in & out of traffic. Sadly the rule here is mostly sport bike = bad behavior. The full gear riders, riding with common sense, pay the price both from motorist fed-up and police fed up. So maybe prior incidents may have indeed left him with no sport bike is a good one :)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know you guys on the West Coast are easy going and polite and us East coast guys are rude, uptight. Around here I can't tell you how many idiots I see on sport bikes daily. Sunday it was 3 guys doing wheelies on an interstate. I lost count of the times a no helmet, shorts around his knees and t-shirt half up his back jerk flew by my cage going double the speed limit, weaving in & out of traffic. Sadly the rule here is mostly sport bike = bad behavior. The full gear riders, riding with common sense, pay the price both from motorist fed-up and police fed up. So maybe prior incidents may have indeed left him with no sport bike is a good one :)
you are too hard on yourself. I personally love east coast people. I love the directness among many other things.
There are plenty, too many idiots, on fwys and city streets doing stuuuupid things on sport bikes. The stuntahs wannabes. I can't count how many sport bikes I see w/o any mufflers at all. Just straight pipes. They make Harleys sound down right quiet. An R6, w/o mufflers, screaming at 12k-14k rpm past you is ridicously loud.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
...Around here I can't tell you how many idiots I see on sport bikes daily. Sunday it was 3 guys doing wheelies on an interstate. I lost count of the times a no helmet, shorts around his knees and t-shirt half up his back jerk flew by my cage going double the speed limit, weaving in & out of traffic. Sadly the rule here is mostly sport bike = bad behavior...
After living on both coasts (grew up in Danbury ;) ) and in the South, it's sad to say that this seems to be the rule in most places.

·
Registered
34 Posts
you are too hard on yourself. I personally love east coast people. I love the directness among many other things.
There are plenty, too many idiots, on fwys and city streets doing stuuuupid things on sport bikes. The stuntahs wannabes. I can't count how many sport bikes I see w/o any mufflers at all. Just straight pipes. They make Harleys sound down right quiet. An R6, w/o mufflers, screaming at 12k-14k rpm past you is ridicously loud.
Cant say I see too many of those over here in Sacramento Most motorcyclists I see here are pretty tame. I see more ricers and huge 350 trucks come barreling down the streets more than anything else.

·
Premium Member
12,362 Posts
Hey you got lucky !! Or did you do the OH Well Its Only Skin Trick??:D:D:D
Just kiddin

·
Confirmed Addict
295 Posts
issue might have been the city....Berkeley can get a little strange. I had a buddy with a diesel Benz living there....And his car got vandalized....A concerned citizen left note suggesting he buy a Prius. People there go through your garbage, and will report you if they find something you should have recycled (true story).
Maybe the cop was really into rules and wanted to punish a person who chose to enjoy the fruits of their labor and buy a fun Italian bike.
Most cops I have come across are good guys, but this one was at the zealot end of the spectrum.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
issue might have been the city....Berkeley can get a little strange. I had a buddy with a diesel Benz living there....And his car got vandalized....A concerned citizen left note suggesting he buy a Prius. People there go through your garbage, and will report you if they find something you should have recycled (true story).
Maybe the cop was really into rules and wanted to punish a person who chose to enjoy the fruits of their labor and buy a fun Italian bike.
Most cops I have come across are good guys, but this one was at the zealot end of the spectrum.
Sounds like the citizens are the zealots and the cop gave you a break.

·
Confirmed Addict
295 Posts
true, that, since he did not cite him in the end.
I have not been stopped in 8 years. Middle age mellowed me out. I get my kicks on the track in the cars. I ride and drive conservatively on the street (and still have fun).

Sounds like the citizens are the zealots and the cop gave you a break.
Tr

·
Registered
518 Posts
I would have suggested that the state was boosting revenues in hard economic times, but no citation issued... wierd.

That is getting pretty nit-picky. I can understand nailing you for the exhaust, especially in Cali, but the other stuff is rediculous. Although I miss the riding in SoCal, that state is getting pretty rediculous in trying to build their own little eutopia. Glad to hear you got away "free".
would have suggested that the state was boosting revenues in hard economic times, but no citation issued... wierd
ot maybe he was just a policeman doing his job? I dont believe for a second they give a shit about boosting revenue. I think they are just watching out for safety.

I am sure once in a while there is a douche, but there is a douche in any line of work.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts