Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a defective vehicle notice (too loud exhaust) on the weekend by a very enthusiastic Cop ! I have to take my bike for testing within the next 2 months.
As i have no intention of putting the stock exhaust back on permantly, i am considering buying a set ot Db killers for the Termi system I have on the bike.
Can anyone give me any advice on the effectivness of these , as they would be handy to have in the event that this may happen again. I could refit the stocker for the test but its allot more effort and would prefer an easy alternative which they seem to offer.
Should i keep my money and fit the standard exhaust , or are these Db killers a valid alternative.

·
9,757 Posts
I was given a defective vehicle notice (too loud exhaust) on the weekend by a very enthusiastic Cop ! I have to take my bike for testing within the next 2 months.
As i have no intention of putting the stock exhaust back on permantly, i am considering buying a set ot Db killers for the Termi system I have on the bike.
Can anyone give me any advice on the effectivness of these , as they would be handy to have in the event that this may happen again. I could refit the stocker for the test but its allot more effort and would prefer an easy alternative which they seem to offer.
Should i keep my money and fit the standard exhaust , or are these Db killers a valid alternative.
Save your money and just put the stocker back on for the test. You'll have to pull the can off to install the dbkillers anyway so it's not like you'll be saving yourself a ton of labor.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
Around here, dB-killers are a legal alternative to stock.

Last year I stopped for noise on my SS, and the cop told me that if I had the dB-killers in, I'd be OK, so now I do. Another time, I got stopped, but had the OEM still on my 999R, but there was another guy there, and he had an after-market with no dB-killers, and the cops told me the same thing. Oh, and they looked into my OEM to see if it was cored! (it was stock, but these guys knew exactly what and how to check)

Tom

·
9,757 Posts
Around here, dB-killers are a legal alternative to stock.

Last year I stopped for noise on my SS, and the cop told me that if I had the dB-killers in, I'd be OK, so now I do. Another time, I got stopped, but had the OEM still on my 999R, but there was another guy there, and he had an after-market with no dB-killers, and the cops told me the same thing. Oh, and they looked into my OEM to see if it was cored! (it was stock, but these guys knew exactly what and how to check)

Tom
I remember the Top Gear episode where they raced a Bugatti Veyron and a Cesna from Northern Italy back to England and Clarkson went on a rant about how the Swiss are sound nazis and how they hate loud vehicles :rolleyes:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Around my parts when you go in for inspection after a Fix It ticket they will make sure that your exhaust is street leagle and as marked such. I believe all aftermarket systems are "for off road use only" and will fail inspection.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sounds like the Aussies and the Swiss are a lot more sophisticated than the local Five-Oh in the States.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The mechanic that does my inspection does not even start my bike. Turns key, looks at lights and then slaps a sticker on. Guess I'm lucky.

I saw that episode of Top Gear. That car was amazing!:eek:

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
Around my parts when you go in for inspection after a Fix It ticket they will make sure that your exhaust is street leagle and as marked such. I believe all aftermarket systems are "for off road use only" and will fail inspection.
My 999R has that system and it was the dealer who installed it and from what I have learned that decision wasn't made by the original owner. It wasn't his choice, it was a deal between Ducati and the dealer to install these "race kits" in the early 999Rs soon after the bikes arrived at the dealer. The kits were packed in the same crate and the switch was done after the fact to avoid emissions. These 999R "race kits" were more or less a half system with a dedicated ECU and a special silencer with the words "for race use only". I don't know if they replaced one of the exhaust pipes or they remained as is.

I was thinking that if the day arrives when inspection goes full force, I'll just grind off the "for race use only" words and be done with it. My bike is quiet compared to your typical aftermarket system upgrade. I think the exhaust note is just right actually and it would be a surprise to me if it registers high Dbs.

·
comrade moderator
27,043 Posts
John, you probably have the connections to have your bike tested, unofficially of course. More so than most members here.
It would be interesting to know for sure if it's "loud" in the eyes of the law.

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,408 Posts
Save yourself a lot of trouble and hassle put the stock mufflers back on and if you are running a aftermarket vented or open clutch cover put the stock one back on too. The noise testing people are really good at picking up the wording on aftermarket mufflers - the words that say things like "not for road use" which I have written on at least one set of mine.

We recently lent a mate a set of OEM mufflers for a 748 (which had been stored correctly) he put them on went to the test and failed! We then lent him an OEM set from a 998 and then when his bike was as quiet as a quiet thing, I said "gosh that clutch is noisy", so I lent him an OEM clutch cover too. He passed. Two lots of fees though.:(

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hey Vanscott just wondering where you were riding? i was told never to ride up mt glorious with my pipes or i will be booked for sure. and i read of a blitz in nsw once where they fined the bike owners and the shops that fitted the pipes even more.

i always got the impression the queensland cops were pretty good about noisy pipes, well except mt glorious anyway, so i'm hoping you weren't just riding up the highway?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
My 999R has that system and it was the dealer who installed it and from what I have learned that decision wasn't made by the original owner. It wasn't his choice, it was a deal between Ducati and the dealer to install these "race kits" in the early 999Rs soon after the bikes arrived at the dealer. The kits were packed in the same crate and the switch was done after the fact to avoid emissions. These 999R "race kits" were more or less a half system with a dedicated ECU and a special silencer with the words "for race use only". I don't know if they replaced one of the exhaust pipes or they remained as is.

I was thinking that if the day arrives when inspection goes full force, I'll just grind off the "for race use only" words and be done with it. My bike is quiet compared to your typical aftermarket system upgrade. I think the exhaust note is just right actually and it would be a surprise to me if it registers high Dbs.
Mine was apparantly measured and it was 86db. The front pipe would have been replaced along with the muffler, as it doesn't have a cat converter. It might look a bit suss with a big grind mark - should get out the lettering dies and stamp in some extra words....."not for race use only for road" :p

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have termis on my st4s and its loud. I have never had a cop even look at me funny. You guys need to move to florida

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have termis on my st4s and its loud. I have never had a cop even look at me funny. You guys need to move to florida
Compared to some of the Harleys I passed-yea-same old stuff every where you go-holding up traffic-last Spring driving down to Key West it probably is quiet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts