Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name's Bradley and I'm from Huntsville, AL. I picked up my first Ducati yesterday afternoon. It's a '02 900 SuperSport that I traded my '05 DR650 supermoto dead-even for. This thing is a blast to ride and certainly different from the Jap bikes that I've gotten used to. I must admit I'm a newb to all things Ducati. I don't know any history on this bike, so what would you guys suggest I do maintainence-wise (other than oil/filter change of course)? I'll post some pics up here in a bit.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Welcome, congrats, and pick up a Haynes manual for that bike! (and check/replace the belts).

96SP

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do! Here's some pics. Oh, I forgot it's got some kind of solo tail (I have the stock one too) and Leo Vince carbon slip-ons. What a great sound!

·
Registered
735 Posts
1st Ducati . . .

greetings RustBoxBrad,

Start at the front of the bike and check each and every fastener for tightness, corrosion, missing or mismatched, or damaged. Look at the hydraulic lines, fuel lines, drain hoses, checking their condition. Replace the turn signal bulbs, brake light bulb, and headlight bulb. Or carry spares all the time. Change the fuses and carry extras with you every time you ride. Change the air filter, fuel filter, and clean the mesh screen when you change the oil. Look for leaks, making notes on all of this for future reference. Check your chain alignment and condition of sprockets. Change both sprockets and chain at the same time, if needed. Spark plugs get changed. Check the air in your tires every time you ride, flats are not fun and will hurt you.
You are starting a maintenance record to keep your motorcycle safe. Parts falling off are bad, if not deadly. This machine will provide many years of safe, pleasure-filled riding, if properly maintained. If not, well, then you are asking to get yourself and/or others hurt or worse. I think you would agree that your life is worth keeping your motorcycle safe to ride.

chow,
Fred

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome,nice first Duc. I have the same tail on mine. I see you removed the undertail too.
Thanks for the advice! I picked the bike up as-is in the pics. I have the undertail, I just assumed it wouldn't fit with the solo cowl. There's a few small things it needs. Mostly just cleaning up some mods done by the PO. Is it common for the speedo lens to fall off on these bikes? The PO told me it fell of while going down the road.

·
Registered
431 Posts
nice bike welcome to the world of ducati
you can never go back now:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just as a friendly FYI... Chow is what you get at the mess hall.

Ciao is what Italians say as a greeting for Hello, or as Bye-Bye...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I picked the bike up as-is in the pics. I have the undertail, I just assumed it wouldn't fit with the solo cowl. There's a few small things it needs. Mostly just cleaning up some mods done by the PO. Is it common for the speedo lens to fall off on these bikes? The PO told me it fell of while going down the road.
No, the speedo lens does not fall off going down the road.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The factory undertail will fit with the solo unit,just needs a little squeeeeez on the sides.

Attachments

·
Registered
518 Posts
congrats man. There is something about having a Ducati that I just cannot quantify with words.

I would tell you I am jealous fo your feeling of riding a ducati for the first time, but I still feel it. I just get excited every time I ride. I dont get out as much with the family etc, but it makes it that much sweeter.

enjoy, rev it a lil, she likes upper rpm once in a while, and be safe, it isnst Gixxer(thanks god), and get used to it, most of us cant seems to get away from them...ever. ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just got my '95 900ss cr after way too many years on old BMW's - Night & day!

Used to have an 860 gt rat bike back in collage and while the "new" bike is so much better, you can still feel the history - I'm hooked!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, I got some maintainence done today and put the stock tail back on. The solo cowl wasn't really held down with anything and neither was the seat. I like having storage now. I'm loving this bike more and more everyday! It feels so much more mechanical than previous bikes I've driven. I think I'm hooked too!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts