Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrrrrrrgh!!!

The last coupla times that I rode the bike it was starving for fuel at high speeds. Today I found out why. There was so much rust floating around at the back of the gas tank that the pick-up screen on the fuel pump was clogged.

It's expensive I know but I'm currently thinking about contacting Moto-Works in Japan and inquiring about a Beater aluminum gas tank so that I don't have to deal with this rusting problem ever again.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
I don't know what you're complaining about. That looks like it can be cleaned up easily and coat the tank. I've seen tanks way worse.

·
Excel Addict
5,237 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
tank

Check out Casswells tank coating. People have told me it works great.

Radiator shops do tank sealing also.

·
Excel Addict
5,237 Posts
Just check the Supersport Sticky at the top of the SS forum.

The POR-15 process works, is tried and tested etc.

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know what you're complaining about.
No complaining here duc96cr. Forum was slow yesterday so I thought I'd liven it up a bit and let everyone know that "Yippee I get to join the rusty tank club"!

.....if you have a look at a Sticky, which means a particular thread/question is always there, at the top of the Supersport forum section.....
LOL! Thanks for that Richard,been around forums for quite some years now and know all about Stickies. :D

Saw that particular Sticky in question but didn't bother to look at it as my gas tank doesn't actually leak,it's just got rust inside it.

Might be a good idea to have the Mods retitle Rainman's thread to "Repairing a leaking or rusting SS tank" so that the title would more accurately communicate to forum members the information that's contained inside.

By the way Richard big thanks for the link to that thread,looks like I'll be giving the POR-15 kit a try.

·
Registered
834 Posts
The inside of my tank looked just like that, some surface rust but not much real metal damage. I was going to have the tank coated, but I found this stuff called "Metal Rescue". I bought a 5 gallon pail of the stuff from Amazon, and their temporary anti-rust surface coating called "Dry Coat".

I posted a how to somewhere on here :), but basically I filled the tank with drywall screws and shook it around to get any loose rust. Emptied and rinsed with water. Make sure you get all the screws out. The screw step probably isn't necessary, but it didn't take much time.

Filled tank with full strength orange cleaner from Lowe's. Let sit for a couple hours to degrease. Emptied and rinsed. Filled tank full with Metal Rescue. Let sit for 48 hours. Drained back into the pail it came in as the stuff is reusable. Dried with hair dryer. All rust gone and tank clean. Sloshed some Dry Coat around and emptied. Dried with hair dryer. That step is only necessary if you aren't going to use the tank right away. It prevents flash surface rust from forming. They said there could be a problem with some red paints so I tested Metal Rescue on the bottom of the tank and there were no issues. Even so, if any splashed on the paint I rinsed it right away. Doesn't hurt your skin either.

About 5 months later and the tank is still rust free and will be going back on bike in a few weeks. Obviously you need to take all the stuff out of the tank and plug the holes. I used duct tape and rubber plugs used to plug up pipes. Overall I am very happy with the result, and it is repeatable. With coatings if it doesn't work you're hosed.

It is also possible to use electrolysis to remove the rust, which I have read works well, but it involves electricity and water which can be "problematic".

·
Excel Addict
5,237 Posts
It is also possible to use electrolysis to remove the rust, which I have read works well, but it involves electricity and water which can be "problematic".
I do this in my shed for some (circa 150 so far) bits of my 64 Lambretta resto that i also zinc plate in the shed (original Innocenti finish on those parts). Some pics below.

As brilliant as it is, I would not recommend it over POR 15 etc. After derusting there is a residue that needs to be cleaned and that would be difficult inside a tank. Then there is the question of preventing future rust as well. The derusting process is astoundingly simple, once you know what it is! So is the plating, nit just zinc, when you have the right setup and materials.

Rusty bit

Electrolytic derust

Zinc plated like new. The pic does not really do justice to how good it really looks and is.

·
Registered
265 Posts
POR-15 treatment

Arrrrrrrgh!!!

The last coupla times that I rode the bike it was starving for fuel at high speeds. Today I found out why. There was so much rust floating around at the back of the gas tank that the pick-up screen on the fuel pump was clogged.

It's expensive I know but I'm currently thinking about contacting Moto-Works in Japan and inquiring about a Beater aluminum gas tank so that I don't have to deal with this rusting problem ever again.

Both of mine looked MUCH worse. I did the POR-15 treatment to both and was very happy with the results. Costs about $40 as I recall. Just follow the directions exactly and be sure not to plug up the vent hole at the top of the tank with the coating.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I used Metal Rescue on a friends tank that was rusted way worse than your tank. I only bought the 1 gallon jug. I put it in the tank and left on each side and top and bottom for two hours at a time. Did a fantastic job. I fogged it with WD40 right after I emptied the Metal Rescue.

Next time I want to try using electrohydrolysis which fuses the rust back with the metal. This may turn you metal black which you can rinse out with Coke. Lots of youtube videos showing these methods and others.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
It looks like I've actually got a leak in my tank as told to me by my shop. Looks like I've got some work to do or have done as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts