Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I posted this up in the general section intro thread, but thought it prob belongs here.

Yup, my (very) good friend was moving to another country and decided to gift me his 2007 Hyper 1100S! Yeah good friend indeed! I originally thought he meant for me to help him sell it, but nope, he said "It's all yours dude, do whatever you want with it... Keep it, sell it, strip it for parts... I can't think of a better person to give it to - I've been blessed with a lot of good things in my life, and I believe in giving, so just pay it forward."

I guess it's a little of what goes around comes around. I also believe in giving, having been taught to give without expecting anything back. I rarely sell things if I know someone needs it or has use for it. Admitted it's never been something of this value, but I don't think that's the point of giving. Anyway, super stoked and mega thankful!

I've only ridden Jap sports bikes and scooters, so this is my first foray into Ducati's and motards.
Having a blast so far, and already gained invaluable info from this forum, so thanks to all of you for the help and knowledge!

Few more details - the bike has less than 9000kms on it. It's been dropped once on the left side at an intersection trying to avoid someone crossing the road whilst they were glued to their phone.. (insert rant here). From what I can tell, it's got the Termi 2-into-1 full system, tail tidy, DP seat, DP mirrors w/ indicators, Rizoma bar, Brembo master cylinders & levers, and deleted handguards. No idea re engine internals or ECU. It had been sitting in storage for over 3 years, and needed quite a bit of work & $$ to get it registered and road worthy.

One of the mirrors broke so I replaced them with aftermarket normal ones. The rear indicators were also broken, so I replaced them with LED's. Here's where I started down the rabbit hole of Italian electrics... First I had to find a way to add indicators to the front (no DP mirrors, no handguards). Settled on tiny round LED's mounted to the base of the mirror stems. Sooooo many problems getting it to work, came across all the usual suspects mentioned in the many threads in this forum related to LED's - voltage leak left/right, epileptic flash rates, delayed flashes... I think I hit them all! Skipping all the trial & error and hair pulling and cursing, the final solution was to butcher the original DP mirrors and use the wiring and resistors for the front LED's; use the original rear indicator wiring with additional 5W-15ohm resistors for the rear LED's. Works like a charm now! Note: dashboard set to LAMP or LED mode doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference in operation, whether using normal bulbs or LED's. Can anyone tell me EXACTLY what the mode setting does?

Trying to sort out suspension settings now. I'm only 5'7" and 68kg (150 lbs) so I backed off the rear preload so the spring is juuuust captive in the collar when shock is at full extension. I then raised the ride height up to 2 threads showing on the adjuster ends. This way I can still touch the ground at the lights, yet its tall enough to lean on the side stand when parked. (The first time I had the preload wound all the way off and height adj on stock/minimum, and the bike would be perilously close to being vertical when on the side stand on flat ground. A slight push would easily tip it over.) Front preload on minimum. I know these aren't the right settings for me - there's a bit of wallowing when cornering over bumps, and bit of 'bar shake under accel even when only slightly turning - so they're just a starting point. Would appreciate any suggestions from similarly sized owners out there?

Lastly - discovered the low fuel sensor doesn't work. The light comes on when u turn the key, but it ran dry with no warning at 128kms (80mi). That's atrocious... It was mainly stop start traffic with occasional blasts, but still. Damn.

The pic is when I picked it up. I'll post more pics later of the new mirrors and indicators.
Cheers!

Attachments

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
I stopped reading after you said you butchered $300 DP mirrors. Besides that, these italian "electric" bikes are a ton of fun and the same can be said about your dual spark motor. Enjoy and have fun.

·
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan
992 Posts
Cool stuff!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I stopped reading after you said you butchered $300 DP mirrors. Besides that, these italian "electric" bikes are a ton of fun and the same can be said about your dual spark motor. Enjoy and have fun.
When the mirror broke at the ball joint, it was clear that it had broken before and was glued back in place - no wonder I couldn't adjust it more than a few mm's... Ducati HK would only sell to me as a pair, and as I was already having to spend a lot to get it roadworthy I decided to try to find a cheaper option. The original DP ones were really quite old and tatty anyway, and the right one broken beyond repair so I didn't really balk too much at "butchering" them. As I needed the wiring and connectors anyway this saved me more $$/time.

Yeah it looks nothing like stock, but at USD$47 for 2 mirrors, 4 LED indicators & 2 resistors incl shipping, I'm a much happier camper :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats...!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts