Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
NICE!
Your gonna cry when you lay it down.. :eek:

Nah, just kidding. Looks really good though. :D:)

//amullo

·
Registered
334 Posts
Awesome paint job "Great Job" looks fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Nice work! Any issues with spraying clear over top of stickers? Does it take a special sticker for the clear to adhear to properly? I've painted a few bikes but was always afraid to spray over the stickers for fear that the paint wouldn't stick or it would eat the stickers.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Lets see the finished product!!!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yves, your bike looks good! I will try to post a picture of my R and I have alot more stickers than yours. I remember I bought something for my Porsche from you but I don't remember what part. Maybe a Plenum.

Mike

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I think it sucks. You shoud ship the body work to me and I will use it...I mean dispose of it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well...put about 4 layers of clearcoat on it last night and was amazed by the result. Tried to take pictures, but the flash gave too much of a reflection. Will take some pictures at the track on Saturday.

For those of you interested in the technicalities of this job, yes, I did everything myself.

Started off from a set of new Sharkskinz (they come pre-primed).
Used Dupont Chromabase paint (260$). Had my paint colormatched, but we ended up with the same color as a certain Kawasaki red. Used a Harbor Freight HLVP paint gun (39$ on sale) with 1.4 mm tip to apply both base and clear coats. Worked like a gem.
The decals are from Scott at srsigndesig.com. 75$ for the total kit.

Total cost for the project (including the skinz) : +/-1,200$.
Very, very rewarding experience for which I would be willing to pay more. I'm a CFO and actually like projects on my Ducati and Porsche. So relaxing after a day in the office going over numbers or dealing with whining employees :)

Attached a picture of another project (Porsche turbo swap).

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yves, your bike looks good! I will try to post a picture of my R and I have alot more stickers than yours. I remember I bought something for my Porsche from you but I don't remember what part. Maybe a Plenum.

Mike
I remember that. I think I sold you my 1-touch top closing system from my previous 911. Turbos are the way to go ! Come with 420 HP stock, but I already bumped it up to 600HP with some bolt-ons. Stupid fast cars and 4 wheel drive on top.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Amazing work!

Doing projects like this is a great way to relax and unwind, until something goes terribly wrong and you want to throw a hammer through it. haha

What company are you a CFO at?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Amazing work!

Doing projects like this is a great way to relax and unwind, until something goes terribly wrong and you want to throw a hammer through it. haha

What company are you a CFO at?
Big pharma. Swiss.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
260 isn't too bad for paint actually....red is always freaken outrageous

1 - 18 of 18 Posts