Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
neat vision,but basically a waste of time and effort for a viable production based bike.the public wants big engines and low prices,not small engines and state of the art tech.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
neat vision,but basically a waste of time and effort for a viable production based bike.the public wants big engines and low prices,not small engines and state of the art tech.
Hmm, I'm not so sure about that. I mean, yes certainly that segment of the population exists and for them the 'Busas and zx10s of the world will do very nicely. But what about the rest of us who love Ducatis, Bimotas, etc, that are based much more on the balanced principle of enough power combined with state of the art technologie. I'd like to think that despite their base superbike putting out about 160rwhp, Ducati haven't completely abandoned the philosophy that once produced the Supermono.

·
Registered
90 Posts
A carbon frame might actually cost less than a steel trellis, with all its parts and welding involved. Once the mold is made, composite parts are not very difficult to churn out.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I gonna agree with vanduc.. plus that thing would be freaking sweet! power to weight better than a 1200 and still ride like a 600cc (ok maybe not a 600 but you know what i mean)

·
9,757 Posts
How about this one guys, how in the hell would Ducati have competed in WSBK with a twin that was giving up 100cc to the inline fours? None of the teams have a problem meeting minimum weight requirements so their perceived weight advantage would mean fuck all. They would have had to homologate a 1000cc bike anyway so why not make them all 1000cc?

Also, it doesn't take a genius to see the obvious weight saving of a carbon frame, but how was Gordo's imaginary 900cc motor going to be 15kg lighter than an identical 1000cc motor?

I dunno, the guy mighta been the brains behind the Maca F1 but bikes are a different story. There's a reason Ducati went with the 999 afterall.

ps, I think his bike is even uglier than the 999
pps, that pic is OBVIOUSLY a bad p-shop of a 1098, where the hell are his original designs?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I just think Ducati could use a dose of 'out of the box thinking' right about now. Other than perhaps being the ultimate expression of the vtwin ideal, one would hardly accuse the 1098 series of being original. I don't want to fall into another 999v1098 trap here, but the more Ducati chases the everymans dollar, the more it allienates some of its core group of supporters who appreciates the spirit of what Mr Murray was driving at.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just think Ducati could use a dose of 'out of the box thinking' right about now. .
I agree. If I was the boss at Bologna, I think it's time to shake things up. Maybe keep the trellis, but in carbon IsoTruss, not as cheap as a monocoque, but very tunable and completely bad-ass. Then on the engine go with direct injection and maybe some new valve tech like pneumatics or electro-mechanical actuation for the ultimate tuning potential. Desmo is cool, but it's almost 2010, time to push the envelope.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
"Ducati...out of the box thinking....." That's worth agreeing on and disagreeing on.

Agree it's time for more "out of the box." all we have now (1098, 848) is an evolved desmoquatro. good and bad for reasons people that know Ducati can discuss. It's simply an evolution of 916. Nothing major has happened. Less metal for weight, bigger bore and valves, and improved technology. Let us be wowed by power of a stock 1098 or 1198, or be wowed by people that are still cranking 150+ hp off a 996. Either way, I'm not complaining.

Disagree, Ducati has been out of the box. Has been for a while. 1st, you can actually tell the difference in body style from year to year. 1.5, they are worlds ahead in style and in every model since 1995. 2nd, loads of their improvements are found in the GP class and will later make its way to your home, so don't discount their work even though it was relatively stale from 1999-2006. 3rd, it's still running 2 cylinders. if they were in the box they would have conformed to the i-4s. 4th, it's called a Ducati. there are a number of other reasons but i'd rather go drink beer and have dinner than keep typing.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Guys, Ducati is just starting to make money again, they're not about to make their bikes unattainable to sportbike enthusiasts.

If you want a dose of 'out of the box thinking" then they've got a lil bike called the Desmosedici RR that can more than satisfy your needs lol...
I understand your point Matt, I just happen to like Ducati better when they weren't making money:cool:. Somehow I prefer motorcycles that are built without the bottom dollar as the prime objective. Eh Massimo?!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts