Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to start riding my 916 next week. (going on vacation, just got it running after 10 years of sitting before i got it)

LA traffic.... i feel the need for a go pro mount....... thoughts? helmet or on the bike?

·
Registered
10 Posts
My vote is helmet, that way, where you're looking, the camera is looking if you only have one.

Just do yourself a favor, and don't be the dork who puts it on top of your helmet. Put it either on the front, like right in front of the chin vent or on the side!

·
Registered
444 Posts
+1
I have a chin mount setup as well as a side mount .. plus I also have forward facing mount on one mirror & rearward facing on the other mirror
916/996 mirrors are a very stable mounting point , no vibration at all

·
Registered
5 Posts
How can a helmet mount - anywhere - be safe?
When I race tracks here in Europe most tracks will not allow for helmet mount of camera - they say that you WILL break you neck if you fall and the camera in any way touched the tarmac.
How about tank mount? I know that that will not follow your head movements but GoPro has so much fish eye angle lens that you will capture a lot of forward traffic/action :)
Jan

·
Registered
225 Posts
solutions

recent hero4 purchase and ended up putting it here, i think unless its on a chesty you'll get some vib in the mix.. also it doesnt stick out like a sore thumb

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
When I race tracks here in Europe most tracks will not allow for helmet mount of camera - they say that you WILL break you neck if you fall and the camera in any way touched the tarmac.
How about tank mount? I know that that will not follow your head movements but GoPro has so much fish eye angle lens that you will capture a lot of forward traffic/action :)
Jan
Got a tank mount too,,,, pretty much useless if you have a tinted screen

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
recent hero4 purchase and ended up putting it here, i think unless its on a chesty you'll get some vib in the mix.. also it doesnt stick out like a sore thumb
said bike vid, on the long side (apologies for that).. but gives a good idea about vid stability at diff. speeds - emphasis on speed

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
Going to start riding my 916 next week. (going on vacation, just got it running after 10 years of sitting before i got it)

LA traffic.... i feel the need for a go pro mount....... thoughts? helmet or on the bike?
Helmet... built in image stabilization. I'm still working on a bike mount that's rigid enough to not vibrate from engine or road... helmet is quick and easy.

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
Jan
Jury is out on that... https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2016/january/study-shows-helmet-cameras-are-safer-than-first-thought

I had a gopro black mounted on the side of my helmet for a while... that did make me a bit nervous (and also added a wind load to the helmet). I then moved it to the chin where I don't think it would have any influence in a crash but the mount arm was long (I couldn't find a sticky mount that would fit at the chin location) and caused vibration. The last spot I tried was just to the left and below the chin where again it wouldn't do anything in a crash but it did hit my shoulder when I rotated my head while riding and was a bit too low (looking through a bug spattered windshield). I think I'm going to go back to the chin but have to figure out how to mount it since there are no flat'ish areas on the helmet.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Jury is out on that... https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2016/january/study-shows-helmet-cameras-are-safer-than-first-thought

I had a gopro black mounted on the side of my helmet for a while... that did make me a bit nervous (and also added a wind load to the helmet). I then moved it to the chin where I don't think it would have any influence in a crash but the mount arm was long (I couldn't find a sticky mount that would fit at the chin location) and caused vibration. The last spot I tried was just to the left and below the chin where again it wouldn't do anything in a crash but it did hit my shoulder when I rotated my head while riding and was a bit too low (looking through a bug spattered windshield). I think I'm going to go back to the chin but have to figure out how to mount it since there are no flat'ish areas on the helmet.
i was looking at this as a solution

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
Helmet... built in image stabilization. I'm still working on a bike mount that's rigid enough to not vibrate from engine or road... helmet is quick and easy.
Rigid is the wrong way to go if you are looking to eliminate vibration Dave... Given your background and the highly technical content of our prior conversations, I would have thought you of all people would have been all over some of the new multi axis, gimbaled stabilization mounts:

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
Rigid is the wrong way to go if you are looking to eliminate vibration Dave... Given your background and the highly technical content of our prior conversations, I would have thought you of all people would have been all over some of the new multi axis, gimbaled stabilization mounts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_4vOQDOTHI

That's what my head is for. :)

I've got a couple gimbal's for my quadcoptors, thought about mounting one on the bike but I'd have to get serious and figure out power distribution and fixed mount points... have not gotten that enthusiastic about it yet. The lazy approach is to just get the high frequency vibs down to the point you can stabilize the low-freq stuff in post... and what do I look like... a guy who's not lazy?

Attachments

Reactions: tyr and ProphetPVD

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

Shoei RF-1200 Chin Mount / Hell Mounts

This is what I use, they have a couple others as well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
here is my first attempt... lol

Reactions: DaveK
1 - 19 of 19 Posts