Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some tips preferably with pictures of the way you mount your GoPro camera on the MTS1200.
I have the Motorsports edition of the GoPro. So it has a very good suction cup, roll bar mount and a bunch of adhesive strip mounts that I am reluctant to use.
I have a few ideas of my own. But want to "crowd source" more so to speak. I found this thread - http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/132734-gopro-camera-mounting-1200-any-tips.html. It doesn't have any pictures. And besides a helmet mount suggestion is a bit vague for what I am looking for. So I figured I'll start another GoPro related thread.
Also if anyone owns the GoPro WiFi remote (http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories...-remote-combo/) then it'd be interesting to hear where you mount and/or tried mounting it to. I just bought one and it is a pretty neat addition to the GoPro camera.

Thanks,

Sideout.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am looking for some tips preferably with pictures of the way you mount your GoPro camera on the MTS1200.
I have the Motorsports edition of the GoPro. So it has a very good suction cup, roll bar mount and a bunch of adhesive strip mounts that I am reluctant to use.
I have a few ideas of my own. But want to "crowd source" more so to speak. I found this thread - http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/132734-gopro-camera-mounting-1200-any-tips.html. It doesn't have any pictures. And besides a helmet mount suggestion is a bit vague for what I am looking for. So I figured I'll start another GoPro related thread.
Also if anyone owns the GoPro WiFi remote (http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories...-remote-combo/) then it'd be interesting to hear where you mount and/or tried mounting it to. I just bought one and it is a pretty neat addition to the GoPro camera.

Thanks,

Sideout.
I'm going to "draft" your thread. I just bought the same one as you and am looking for a better way to mount than the 3M adhesive stuff too. You are right, the suction system works great but it is rather large.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I used the suction cup to mount it to the side of the small fairing. Did a 130 test run and it hung in just fine. I have recently sold my bike and don't have any pictures but I do have a few videos if you want to see them.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I have used both the suction cup and the camera on another bike. So I know what the video and photo quality is like etc. I have actually used the suction cup on a 10 long ride once. And it held exceptionally well.
By the way by small fairing you mean the lower painted front fairing, correct?

I used the suction cup to mount it to the side of the small fairing. Did a 130 test run and it hung in just fine. I have recently sold my bike and don't have any pictures but I do have a few videos if you want to see them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't use the camera myself but once saw a great video by fellow forum member Ron R crossing the Susten Pass on his MTS1200. I asked him what set-up he used and he mounts his GoPro HD on the outside of the base of his windshield using the suction cup. Says it's rock solid.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
While I don't have a GoPro, I do use my Contour with a suction cup mount. You want to try and mount it as close to a fairing mount point as possible to minimize vibration. The Multi is a natural vibration machine and is hard to get really clear and steady footage from, but it is possible.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi.
I have a contour canera as well. Mounting on he back of the bike works well to. the best part is that it reduces the wind noise so you can here the bike.

Contour | Stories | FILE0006-4

This was on my S4Rs at the track. but you get the idea.
all went well right up until the end.

I might start a new thread on this forum just for video footage. Its aswsome fun watching you self blast past your mates o a damp and cold track only to sercome to the conditions!!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Hi.
I have a contour canera as well. Mounting on he back of the bike works well to. the best part is that it reduces the wind noise so you can here the bike.
where on the back of the multi? I've tried the rack and the pasenger peg and the vibration makes the video unwatchable. is there a more stable place that has a clear view?

·
Registered
76 Posts
3 positions - pictures

I used a suction cup mount for the GoPro and tried 3 different positionings last week in Sardegna - check the picture.

I have to say the mounting on the wind shield of the bike behind me was the most unstable, because the shield is itchy and makes the movie shaky.

Very good and stable positions is the tail of a bike in front of me - but the movie appears boring.

The best position is the left fairing - the position and therefore the movie looks much more dramatic and fast ;-)!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is actually one of the mount points that I am thinking about. I also think I would try somewhere on the handlebar near the brake or the clutch reservoir. The suction mount on the lower front fairing would probably capture better pictures as it is closer to the road surface.
Another option I have in mind is suction cup on the top box either facing backwards or forward. Have you tried this setup? I am curious if the top box's top surface is "suction-mountable".

While I don't have a GoPro, I do use my Contour with a suction cup mount. You want to try and mount it as close to a fairing mount point as possible to minimize vibration. The Multi is a natural vibration machine and is hard to get really clear and steady footage from, but it is possible.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Another option I have in mind is suction cup on the top box either facing backwards or forward. Have you tried this setup? I am curious if the top box's top surface is "suction-mountable".
I did not try this, but I am shure it will work. On the other hand I think the position is to high and because it shows nothing from the bike itself plus the height I would say the result looks the same boring as on the wind shield. Mounting it in a way where you see a wheel and the suspension working and close to the road - at the fairing - is my favorite.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agreed.
I feel like mounting points that are closer to the road surface with a bit of the bike in the shot are the best.

I did not try this, but I am shure it will work. On the other hand I think the position is to high and because it shows nothing from the bike itself plus the height I would say the result looks the same boring as on the wind shield. Mounting it in a way where you see a wheel and the suspension working and close to the road - at the fairing - is my favorite.

·
Registered
100 Posts
GoPro Camera Mount

Any tips on mounting? There aren't many flat surfaces with a clear view, and the handle bars tilt the camera slightly.

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
Invest in some ram mount kits for various positions and rock steady video with no rattle audio the gopro mount tends to deliver.

Auto corect disabledh

·
Registered
44 Posts
For me.

I just suction cup mine to the flat panel at the front/side. It's painted, which gives good grip although I still attach a zip tie lanyard. Doesn't shake too much and you can usually get just a bit of the front tire/suspension moving around which kind of adds a dynamic element to the shots.

The being off center and low doesn't effect the final result nearly as much as you might suppose. An alternate spot I haven't tried yet is if you mount the suction cup to windscreen off center you can use the articulation of the arm to put the camera dead center up higher. The screen should be flat enough for a good stick. Again safety strap from zip ties a good idea.

The suction cup gives the best noise and vibration resistance of most mounts. I have tried Ram mounts, solid mounts, different insulators, a bit of everything. On most bikes, my S1K, my old Superduke, the Multi the suction cup ends up being the best.

On the helmet is always a popular one but I film in 1080p and found watching on a big screen TV that lots of people get motion sick watching as you whip your head around.

Also you will look at your speedo and cops around here have no problem confiscating your memory card as evidence if they pull you over for speeding. A trip through a whole ride can usually kick up a whole bunch more violations and since they took it off you themselves they can testify to its origin in court, which can quickly get expensive. Just food for thought.

This is a link to the first time I used mine like 3 years ago on xmas day with the suction cup on my Superduke. Pre sound mods or anything. I was purposely riding slowly because I knew this one would be viewed by family. I get enough grief as it is. This shows the low/side mounting position. I also left it low resolution so ignore that aspect of it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If the video is taken for use in court, the speedo isnt needed to determine the speed .
( but i am not really paranoid a copper will take my video only with a speeding violation)

But lets keep it at the original question where to mount the gopro.

My gopro2 is mounted ad the black horizontal bar behind the screen above the display. With some DIY-work i made a small base where a gopro baseplate is mounted, so the camerahousing is just simply punt on that.

And this is the result :

·
Registered
115 Posts
If the video is taken for use in court, the speedo isnt needed to determine the speed .
( but i am not really paranoid a copper will take my video only with a speeding violation)

But lets keep it at the original question where to mount the gopro.

My gopro2 is mounted ad the black horizontal bar behind the screen above the display. With some DIY-work i made a small base where a gopro baseplate is mounted, so the camerahousing is just simply punt on that.
Pictures of the mount please.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Pictures of the mount please.
I understand your question, but the whole mount is covered in black electric tape so there is not much to been seen (and no, i am not removing it ;) )

Only the attachmentpoint with the gopro case is sticking out.
I've done this because it looks nicer, it is harder to steal and it prevents rattling (or at least less rattling)

I guess it is not a question to locate the precise place of montage ? (the horizontal bar above the display , which the screen attachted to it)

Better explanation of what i have done : I have a small metal plate screwed through it, so this was a good and steady place to glue the same-sized gopro flat adhesive mount on it (without really scraping plastic ridges of the horizontal barand therefore easyly can be undone leaving only 2 small holes), then the standard "Horizontal Surface Quick-Release Buckle" and the lock/anti-vibration-rubber (which i have double since i alse have the "gopro grab bag), and then this packed in black electronic tape, and a gopro case mounted on top ("offcourse" i have more gopro cases ;) ), which usually stays on there , i just take the gopro camera out.

It is a steady point for filming but is gives a rather static image, also because it is high on the bike, but i usually have a contourHD1080p running on my helmet, which is the opposite and gives a lot more active image, with head turns etc. I hope the 2 images mixed will give the right amount of movement, but the real testing of this weill be in the winter when i'm not riding and therefore have time for editing.

I have a lot more options to mount the gopro (suction cup etc) , but am too lazy to actually use it, especially when my mates have to wait for me to start riding.

PS also do i have a poweroutlet made (skeleton case needed or unwaterproofing the waterproof case, but why film in rainy weather?) so the gopro has "contact" power so no empty batteries for me :D

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am going to purchase and try the handle bar mount. It should be easy to use in this bike.

I have used the suction cup many times in the past on other bikes. I could never find a place on the multi I thought would stay. I also tried using one of the flat mounts on the windscreen but it was way to twitchy every time the bike moved it would jump.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts