Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my '03 ss in for the 12k service. I asked the service guy to take a close look at the valve guides because of what I read here a few times about them going bad. Turns out they were shot and needed replacement.
So the shop calls the regional service manager from DNA about warranty work and doesn't seem to get anywhere. The shop then tells me to call DNA directly to plead my case (i.e original owner, purchased new from said shop, properly serviced, well maintained, etc. - and all true)
A couple days later, shop calls and says the regional service manager has some other business with them and is going to take a second look at my situation.
Bottom line, DNA ended up covering parts and most of the labor for the repair. Went from a $1200 repair to about $800. Still a little pricey, but i"ll take it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
was there any symtoms? my 03 puffs a bit of smoke on hot start, but burns an unnoticable amount of oil.

i figure it's my valve seals. i am the third owner in a different country than originally purchased... good luck with a goodwill warranty!!!:p

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
was there any symtoms? my 03 puffs a bit of smoke on hot start, but burns an unnoticable amount of oil.

i figure it's my valve seals. i am the third owner in a different country than originally purchased... good luck with a goodwill warranty!!!:p

It did die at idle on occasion, whether hot or cold, and the tech said that could be a function of losing compression from the bad guides. No smoke or oil loss. It does seem to pull a little harder now than before, though I've got to take it a little easy for a couple hundred miles to break them in.
Yeah, my situation might not be typical. Best of luck.

·
Registered
665 Posts
This should be covered under warraty!!!! The early 1000ds engines had an issue with soft valve guides and as soon as Ducati found out about it, they said it's covered under warranty.

Check the forum for "soft valve guides" and you'll find loads of info on this.

They reduced the bill by 400 bucks and they make it look like it's something special, when they should cover every last penny....!! :eek::eek::mad::mad:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This should be covered under warraty!!!! The early 1000ds engines had an issue with soft valve guides and as soon as Ducati found out about it, they said it's covered under warranty.

Check the forum for "soft valve guides" and you'll find loads of info on this.

They reduced the bill by 400 bucks and they make it look like it's something special, when they should cover every last penny....!! :eek::eek::mad::mad:
In a perfect world, you are right.
I should also clearify that the $800 includes the 12k service.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I should also clearify that the $800 includes the 12k service.
This explains partly the high cost but still... Covering the bad guides under warranty, it also includes putting back together the heads, set them up and check belt tension --> valves and belt tension is part of the 12k service ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts