Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just in case anyone was wondering what I purchased.

BMW K1600 GT.

My new workday commuter bike.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Nice choice in the BMW. Why did you decide to sell the Multi? How long is your commute?

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
awesome bike the K1600GT, a bit heavy, but awesome nonetheless.

congrats and enjoy,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Are you SURE you want to go ???

since you've sold the duc and got a Tank theres alot of posting.........

think someones regretting there choice :p

im joking :D

·
Sophomore Member
2,964 Posts
OH NO! Not a wet sponge! Don't get anything remotely damp near the K1600! This bike too suffers the faulty left combo switch problem that all BMWs with the "American" style turn signal switch do. :think: Ride it in the rain a time or two and that switch is almost guaranteed to act up. Ask me how I know... :mad: You might lose your high beams, or cruise control, or horn, or turn signal, or my personal favorite - the turn signal cancel! Or you could lose a combination of functions and perhaps other functions not listed! Sorry to hear your sold the Multi for a K1600. I wish you the best of luck with it, for if you have problems, BMW will not be professional or responsible. In case you haven't taken a look at it, I recommend bmwsporttouring.com. It is a great forum for BMW motorcycles. Lots of good people over there.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Interesting choice

Going to the K1600 GT. That bike has my curiosity big time. I have only sat on one and was surprised at how manageable it felt just straddling it. Lower seat height probably. I love my Multi and even tho I only have 8 months and 4000 miles on it I dont see tiring of it any time soon. I think the Big Beemer would be nice for long distance ( 400 mile days) touring. Let us know how it compares.

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts
apart from actually riding one , physics suggest that it cant be nearly as much fun in the twisties as a Multi .. or for that matter most bikes with a sporty heritage. That said , im sure it would be absolutely fine for long distance flat pavement . The motor is a gem and easily lifts the front wheel if you give it too much gas .

note - have a look at the 1600 forum ... you'd swear that it had more problems than a Guzzi , but i'm sure that cant be the case

:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all

Just did my morning commute on the new beemer. Let me just say up front the MTS handles sharper and more confident in lower speed maneuvers. The higher seating position, wider bars, and reduce weight makes the MTS very easy to drive fast and slow. For what I lossed, see last statement, the K1600 adds smooth riding, vibration free engine feeling, nice electronic features, and best of all is the nearly noiseless wind at speed. I thought the speakers were a joke on the bike and had no intention of using them. Wrong! Even with earplugs in I can enjoy the satellite, FM, MP3 player while riding at 70 mph. With the screen fully raised it was like a sound vacuum bubble between my head and the cockpit.

I will miss the explosive power of the Duc and it gravel, dirt road ability. Glad I still have my husky for Enduro adventures. The BMW is just a pleasant commuter in the HOV lane and the ESA in comfort mode was like sitting on my couch at speed.

I will keep watching Ducati models and see what the next great one that arrives. For me, right now, the K1600 is best for what I need a highway bike to do.

·
Registered
293 Posts
For me, right now, the K1600 is best for what I need a highway bike to do.
Having grown up in that area, I understand your reasoning for the K1600 as a commuter on I-95 as long as you dont have too much "in-town" riding between the house and the interstate, and between the interstate and work. I-95 between Stafford and DC is a bitch at the best of times, HOV makes it bearable at least.

Good luck.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Delnari-

if I had your commute, I suspect I'd do the same as you. The Multi is capable but a little noisy and "nervous" on the highway (it's light weight, high profile, and wide bars that make it so responsive in the twisties work against it when droning on the slab).

Maybe a second, weekend playbike (Street Triple, Hypermotard) is in your future:think:

Meantime, Enjoy!

Dave

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Delnari-

if I had your commute, I suspect I'd do the same as you. The Multi is capable but a little noisy and "nervous" on the highway (it's light weight, high profile, and wide bars that make it so responsive in the twisties work against it when droning on the slab).

Maybe a second, weekend playbike (Street Triple, Hypermotard) is in your future:think:

Meantime, Enjoy!

Dave
Dave,

I did not mind the noise and and found my Multi very controlled at speed on the highway. Even with the risers i could take one hand off the bars and just do lean turns.

My previous bike was a Truimph Street Triple R, and found it too low and forward. The BMW doesn't have the same punch as the Duc. It does have a very smooth ride though. For my commuting that is important.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Funny.. I was thinking of adding a Street Triple to the garage.

Dave,

I did not mind the noise and and found my Multi very controlled at speed on the highway. Even with the risers i could take one hand off the bars and just do lean turns.

My previous bike was a Truimph Street Triple R, and found it too low and forward. The BMW doesn't have the same punch as the Duc. It does have a very smooth ride though. For my commuting that is important.
So you didnt love the triple? I did ride one recently and that motor is insane. Not sure I would to many miles on it but for an hour or two of canyon carving seems like it would be a blast. ( But them again so is the Multi). I have come to believe that motorcycles are like women. You might have your hands on a total babe but you always want something new..:D

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
^ not many out there that don't like the Speed Triple. Smooth motor, ,good handling, great value are words often used to describe them.

cool bikes,

·
Registered
43 Posts
^ not many out there that don't like the Speed Triple. Smooth motor, ,good handling, great value are words often used to describe them.

cool bikes,
I love my S3 (all the things you said above are true) but honestly I'd take the MTS1200 all day over it for both commuting and the canyons. It is twice the cost though!:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts