Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New GT1000 owner here (based in Cheltenham, UK) – and I thought I’d share my first impressions.

I hadn’t had a bike for about 15 years but at 54 I thought why not give it one more lash? I had a look around last October time found a nice 2007 Guzzi Griso 1100. The bike looked and sounded (Termignoni) sensational….but for me riding it wasn’t a great experience. Way too heavy, gearchange like a 1970s BMW and snatchy throttle response really made me wonder why I’d bothered. In a fit of pique I put it on Ebay a couple of weeks ago and sold it within hours to a German dealer who picked it up.

That should have been the end of the story and my retirement from motorcycles. However, within a week I’d spotted a 2008 GT1000, 4000 miles in 2 tone silver. Described as mint, it was anything but – ingrained with dirt and covered in horrible cheap stickers. However, with one owner and a fully documented history I thought it’s worth a punt.

What a delight to ride after the Guzzi! Light and punchy and true to the Ducati brand (my previous Ducatis are 1958 200 Elite, 1978 860 GTS, 1996 750 SS), it really is a pleasure to ride. The quality of finish in places, particularly the spokes and rims, is a bit poor, but otherwise a couple of good cleaning sessions and it looks great. It’s also surprisingly comfortable and suits me well as I’m far beyond riding anything with clip ons again.

Next step is to let it breathe a bit more freely. I like the look of the reverse cone style Staintunes, but I nearly passed out at the price. I called at the Keihan factory this week and probably I’ll go for a pair of their Conti replicas.

If anyone in UK is looking for a rear carrier please pm me. The bike came with one and I don’t need it. You can find it on Ebay.

I’ve greatly enjoyed reading through the articles on this forum – very informative. I was looking for a UK forum for the GT1000, but I understand there’s only about 100 in the country so I don’t suppose there’s any kind of UK network.

Anyway – good to be back on a Duke!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Hi! good to hear of your experiences. If your GT came with the original steel rims, the best thing that you can do is get rid of them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Duccout,
I was surprised that the bike did not come with alloy rims - and nasty cheap chromed spokes. Certainly if I keep the bike long term I'd think about having the wheels re-laced.
By the way, I bought the bike from a guy in Potters Bar. It was originally supplied by Red Dog Ltd. Is that your stamping ground?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Welcome back to the land of Ducati,
Great choice of bike(not that I'm biased :)) plenty of info' on lighter wheels on this site.
If it hasn't been done already,put on a 14 tooth front sprocket.
Makes for a more pleasant ride around town & is a lot of fun on take off.
Glad to hear you removed the stickers,I've seen a GT for sale locally with a great big skull & flame decal on the side of the tank!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Hi Glawster, I went there once - to test ride a GT1000! it was a red one, was it yours?

GT1000s were hard to shift in the UK and I bought mine by accident when I visited another dealer who had given up on selling it and were just about to turn it into a custom to try and find a buyer. They were well-pleased to find a mug to buy it at £1000 off list price.

I've got modded forks, Sport wheels, 14/42 gearing, YSS rear shocks, steering damper and larger clutch slave cylinder. These bikes were very basic, which is why I think they were poor sellers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a Red one - it's two tone silver. Quite nice and the original owner told me he had to wait a while to get one in this colour. Also he paid a premium full price of £7,350 (I have a copy of the invoice) - so I guess he paid too much. Probably I also did, but I just had the feeling that it might become collectable in future. If I've done it correctly a photo should be attached. I just got the front and rear paddock stands from M&P for £42 which seems like a bargain as they are excellent.

Many thanks for the tip on the 14T sprocket. Seems like it's currently on 15T and very high geared. I'm assuming lowering the gearing will improve a bit the snatchiness at low revs? I just had a tootle round the Cotswolds today and I don't think I ever used top gear. Also first gear selection is a bit stiff and clonky. Is this typical?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
That's a beautiful colour. The tight first gear may be due to the clutch needing to be bled, but you must invest in a larger slave cylinder, it transforms the bike, as does lower gearing. The main reason for the poor low speed running is weakness in the fueling, which most owners solve by fitting a device called a FatDuc, which is a small electrical sensor, fitted under the seat in minutes, which costs about £60 if I remember correctly. Do a search here of 'FatDuc'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts