Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front rotor bolts from the dealer are close to $11 each (x 12) :surprise:

Funny, too, that the rear rotor bolts are about $2 each. Not sure what the difference is...

Regardless, does anyone have a good source for quality/affordable bolts for an '03 ST4s front wheel?

I've read the thread on stainless steel and aluminum and am ok with thread prep. Just want to make sure I get the right size and strength to avoid any failures.

Thanks!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Whatever you do, DO NOT replace the bolts of the rear rotor with stainless steel ones. You will have no tachometer.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whatever you do, DO NOT replace the bolts of the rear rotor with stainless steel ones. You will have no tachometer.
Sorry, I probably should have provided additional details -these are newer wheels going on my '99 ST2. The '99 doesn't have the rear-wheel sensor, so no worries there.

If my local dealer has the stock bolts for the rear, I'll just grab those. I'd prefer not to pay $132 for screws for the front, though!

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I’ve ever heard of them failing . Is that really a thing ?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve ever heard of them failing . Is that really a thing ?
Failing, I don't know.

I understand there are different strength and hardness grades among fasteners, but know nothing beyond that. I have to imagine that rotors require a certain spec fastener to avoid failure, but again know nothing specific here.

From other threads around here I also understand that stainless steel and titanium materials do not play well with aluminum. Some feel thread prep addresses this concern, others don't feel it's sufficient.

...and my local dealer doesn't stock the rear rotor bolts, so looks like I'll be seeking those, as well.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Curious. What happened to your original bolts ? I’ve just always cleaned the originals, examined them, then used them again. With the load split between 12 bolts it wouldn’t seem as if there is much chance of catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
realistically you can use anything, but with the speedo drive a bolt with a thicker head will take out the speedo drive bit where the cable screws on.

the front ones are 16mm long, the rear 20mm. no other difference. they're all silver now too, they don't supply the gold ones any more. they're probably a 10.9 grade.

i thought stainless bolts weren't so good in shear.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Curious. What happened to your original bolts?
These are new (used) 5-spoke wheels I'm slapping on my '99 ST2. The front's off an '03 ST4s and the rear from an '02.

According to LT Snyder, pre-2003 used 20mm bolts and 2003 and later used 15mm bolts, so I wasn't sure about fit. He also said the stock 4mm head bolts strip easy.

I have new rotors on the way and figured it would just be easier to leave my current stock wheels whole and unmolested.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
realistically you can use anything, but with the speedo drive a bolt with a thicker head will take out the speedo drive bit where the cable screws on.

the front ones are 16mm long, the rear 20mm. no other difference. they're all silver now too, they don't supply the gold ones any more. they're probably a 10.9 grade.

i thought stainless bolts weren't so good in shear.
Good to know re: the speedo drive. Strange about the bolts --that means Ducati is charging roughly $2 per mm of thread!

As far as shear, I have not a clue. There's certainly plenty of conjecture and anecdotes out there, though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts