Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, im moving to the gold coast next week and am a bit worried about where im going to ride - any advice? Ive previously done the nerang road and the currumbin road and they were pretty cool - is there many others near by?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hi Joel,

There are loads of good roads around South East Queensland. Especiailly around the Gold Coast hinterland region. Would you like a scan of a map with some of the better roads highlighted?

You will find out about the popular ones soon enough but they are often often over policed and crowded on the weekend. The trick is to venture out and find the open country roads.

Cheers,
Russ

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scan sounds good. Actually i dont mind exploring so it'll be fun to find out the hard way. Got rid of the duck and now have a gixxer750 so maybe we could go for a 750 ride? :D

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sure. I'll give you a buzz next time we have a run.

If you would like to PM your email address to me, I'll send you a scan to get you started.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi Joel,

There are loads of good roads around South East Queensland. Especiailly around the Gold Coast hinterland region. Would you like a scan of a map with some of the better roads highlighted?

You will find out about the popular ones soon enough but they are often often over policed and crowded on the weekend. The trick is to venture out and find the open country roads.

Cheers,
Russ
I have taken Darkness over some good gravel roads if you are interested ???

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By gravel roads do you mean sealed or unsealed? Not a real fan of the loose stuff im afraid...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I love my back yard Joel , I have my faves. I like to link Spring brook and beechmont together for a tight cut and thrusting run when out for a play . just be aware of the plods on week ends blitzing the area big time . they will use two or three cars spaced out along the Valleys or mountains working together .They are there to help stop our selves from visiting the mourge , which we have had way way too many riders do in the last few years . So be carefull.
We often go into northern NSW out to Kyogle then around Mt Lindsey back into Queensland or Out to Boona Boedesart Warwick and beyond for a longer run .
Basically there is plenty of exploring for you to do whether its apex strafing or sight seeing or a bit of both. If your looking for a ride and a good coffee give me a PM when you settle in.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
It wasn't intentional. Got lost! 1098 rear Pirellis tear so easily I dread the thought of finding myself off the bitumen too often!
Moral of the story - don't follow Haz ;) last time I did there was nearly a slaughter of a family of small fluffy duckies. Haz I am just kidding. The duckies are still alive! traumatised for life, but still alive. However, I am sure you know all the good roads.

Joel there are some great roads, I too have travelled on them, but being a girl could not possibly remember their names, or where we went, I just follow the man in front. But they were fun - apart from the one going down the big hill from Mt Tamborine with a traffic light thing at the top of it - I didn't like that - at all.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes 748 Girl , Back Door Tambourine , Now that's a good place to send a L or P plate down ! Just to make it more interesting I have experienced a bit of gravel on those gnarly twisties. The turns drop more in vertical height then distance in there radius. So its like going down a bath tub drain.
Its fun watching cruisers coming down or up them.
On the up side , Blasting up them is a hoot and my favorite part is stopping at the red light on the one way section and turning the engine off and listening and looking at the rain Forrest.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
actually as it turns out i ended up on the sunshine coast instead. long story. so far its failing to live up to its name... still lookin forward to comin down gold coast way and ridin with you dudes anyway... :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
theres a few good roads on the sunshine coast, basically you would come backwards as if riding from brisbane
theres not around the sunshine coast directly, its all a little drive away.

maleny, montville run over blackall range is good although very car busy on weekends
the run to kenilworth from maleny is a good one,
maleny, beerwah, woodford, mtmee are good runs
you can get to woodford various ways, maleny-stanley river road (awesome), peachester (good, bit bumpy for superbikes)
maleny, beerwah, kilcoy, esk (fast), gloryass (cops) mtmee beerwah, home
maleny, beerwah, kilcoy, esk, hamptons is good (deserted)
pies at esk are quite good,

hope this helps somewhat,
your not in a total wilderness up there, visit ducati noosa, im pretty sure they do a shop ride.

·
Registered
162 Posts
theres a few good roads on the sunshine coast, basically you would come backwards as if riding from brisbane
theres not around the sunshine coast directly, its all a little drive away.

maleny, montville run over blackall range is good although very car busy on weekends
the run to kenilworth from maleny is a good one,
maleny, beerwah, woodford, mtmee are good runs
you can get to woodford various ways, maleny-stanley river road (awesome), peachester (good, bit bumpy for superbikes)
maleny, beerwah, kilcoy, esk (fast), gloryass (cops) mtmee beerwah, home
maleny, beerwah, kilcoy, esk, hamptons is good (deserted)
pies at esk are quite good,

hope this helps somewhat,
your not in a total wilderness up there, visit ducati noosa, im pretty sure they do a shop ride.

The Malany-Stanley River Road would have to be one of the BEST roads in SEQ. I remember a while back one of the farmers putting up a sign stating "This is not Phillip Island" !!! Give you some idea of the type of road it is. But im afraid like all good secrets, it out, and probably best ridden on a weekday now to avoid the croud & cops. Mind you if you like an early start, i haven't seen police up there before 8.30am,there is always a first time, and now living in Brisbane dont get up there as often as i used to. Just keep a watchfull eye out for entering trafic off property when on a blind spot !!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts