Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone. new to the forum, first post. just looking for some advice on a potential new to me 1995 Ducati 900 sssp. supposed to have a lot of work done to it. this is what I was told through text haven't actually gone to see it yet:

Motor has been bored to 944cc with J.E 11:1 pistons and cylinders were re-nickasil'd.

Heads have been completely rebuilt. (new valves, guides, and seals)

Valve seats were given a 3 angle valve job.

Keihin FCR 41's with K&N pod filters.

Ferracci carbon fiber slip ons exhaust.

Dyna coils and NGK red racing spark plug wires.

Ducati Performance ignition modules (#AL-9000 v7.9)

Carbs correctly jetted for engine modifications.

AFAM 39 tooth rear sprocket (stock is 37)

Galfer SS braided front brake lines with EBC green stuff pads.

Cyclecat multi adjustable handle bars (very comfy)

Heavy duty starter cable upgrade kit.

1997 side fairings installed for added rear cylinder cooling.

Monopost seat fairing with Corbin seat and back pad.

Rear fender eliminator kit.

he said the PO told him all that before he bought it. he says it's sat for a year and probably needs the carbs cleaned which isn't a big deal for me, but obviously I want to know that whatever's been done was done properly. he's asking 4000 but there's some room to negotiate. what do you think? I will try to attach pics. also said it has aftermarket head studs

Attachments

·
Sophomore Member
2,964 Posts
Reasonable price for what appears to be a nice example. Not a steal nor are you aren’t getting ripped off.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Bike will be a handful because it will have some serious power, but $4,000 is a decent price for that if it runs. You might confirm that it is not jetted for race fuel, it's probably not with 11.1:1 pistons. With so many new parts it almost doesn't matter what the mileage is but if it's under 20k this could be a bargain, imo, or it had the speedo disconnected for the track.

Make sure it has a clean title and registration, could have been a track bike for years.

·
Premium Member
4,278 Posts
So the good and the potentially bad.

good=
you could not come close to building that bike for $4000.
Fcr's in a bank are the easiest to live with.
944 motor is good for power but also should mean they looked at the crank plug and changed the chrome studs so in theory 2 less potential issues.
It should be a turn key hotrod that is quite fun to ride.

potentially bad=
Inspect the frame for cracks at the tank latch it looks like the original to me which was prone to crack.
Did they change the chrome studs or are they about to break.
Not in original condition where best resale value will be. ( some of us prefer ones already hotroded because it saves plenty of $$$ if done right).

I would think $4000 is a good deal if it is what you want and is in decent mechanical shape.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
As some of the real experts have already replied, $4K is quite reasonable.

Belter nailed though, there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Ducati. Specially an older one as some parts are discontinued.

The bike pictured looks clean. Spotless even. That would be a clue to me that the previous owner was meticulous. That usually translates to all the proper maintenance has been done.

If I were staring at that right now, I couldn’t get out the door fast enough to pick it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks to all of you for your wisdom. going to look at it Saturday. will inspect frame closely. check cylinder studs and hoping they're black? is that the good ones? if it doesn't blow my mind on the test ride I won't buy it

·
Registered
394 Posts
...there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Ducati. Specially an older one as some parts are discontinued.
Living proof right here, and many across the forum! I think any reasonably decent SS SP for $4k is a fine deal nowadays, especially if you can wrench.

·
Premium Member
4,278 Posts
Vintage bikes are not for everyone.
Italian bikes are not for everyone
working on bikes is not for everyone
know your limits.

Yes black studs are good-chrome is bad. Look at the pictures of cracked frames to understand where to look and what to look for as well as look at the swingarm pivot area of the swingarm , early versions will have 1/2 the pinch bolt visible where later versions totally cover the side of the bolt head. Later is better but a good early version may never have a issue either. If the bike has a cracked frame, chrome studs or cracked swingarm it would effect price but not necessarily the interest in the bike. It would just make it more of a project but still a desirable bike IMHO.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
You’re going to need belts , how old are the tires ? If see normal wear and tear, it’s not a garage Queen. All the right stuff has been done to it, a lot of money invested in upgrades. If I was looking for one, I’d look hard at that bike.

Reactions: RockAZ

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
With all that work done to it, I would want to ride it before putting money down.

Or at least hear it run on a race stand to make sure no weird noises are coming from the crank area or the heads.

Buying a non running bike is a gamble. Will it at least run on choke long enough to listen to any potential problem areas?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I can say if I were looking for another 900SS or one that had been already hot rodded , I would want to hear it run & if all sounded good & everything added up --I personally would putchase that bike --I love the paint job on it & just the extra performance items all added up are as much as they want for the bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can tell you all really like this bike, just like I do. I haven't had a bike in a few years and I want one bad. however, I decided I'm going to spend the money (and then some) on new equipment for my business. that bein said. this isn't a classified ad but if anyone is near the southern Indiana/Kentucky area pm me and I'll send you a link to the ad. although I'm sure if you are you would already have seen it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts