Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
929 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried to repair the tabs? You can always buy a used one off of ebay or a new one, which runs around $500+.

Here is one on ebay....not sure of the fitment.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-Sport-Classic-Sport-1000-Sport-1000s-Paul-Smart-Fiber-Glass-Seat-Cowl/292434459248?hash=item441673ba70%3Ag%3AXIsAAOSwjL5ZOHc4&_sacat=0&_nkw=sport+classic+cowl&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313
I have considered to repair the tabs because of the cost of the custom paint job on the seat cowl but my experince with this type of plastic tels me that it is not easy to do a lasting repair, and if I have to buy a replacement cowl and go through the hassle of redoing the custom paint I wanted to make sure it would last for a long, long time.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have considered to repair the tabs because of the cost of the custom paint job on the seat cowl but my experience with this type of plastic tells me that it is not easy to do a lasting repair, and if I have to buy a replacement cowl and go through the hassle of redoing the custom paint I wanted to make sure it would last for a long, long time.
I've had some tabs repaired that were broken on a couple of spare headlight fairings I bought. They seem to look like they will hold but to be honest, I can't 100% say so, since they have never been installed on the bike. From what I've heard, the technology that they use to fuse/weld the plastic is pretty good.

Post some photos of your cowl for us to see. I know some other people on the forums have had work done to there plastics and can chime in.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For now it is only some small cracks

I've had some tabs repaired that were broken on a couple of spare headlight fairings I bought. They seem to look like they will hold but to be honest, I can't 100% say so, since they have never been installed on the bike. From what I've heard, the technology that they use to fuse/weld the plastic is pretty good.

Post some photos of your cowl for us to see. I know some other people on the forums have had work done to there plastics and can chime in.
I don't think it worth sending any pictures because for now it is just some small cracks but I can just see it is getting worse, in the start of the season it was one tab cracked and now it is two:frown2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts