Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here is a list of upgrades I want done and manufacturers that I seem to like.

Shorty Levers - CRG
Frame Sliders - R&G
Horn - Stebel Nautilus
Grip - Some sort of Grip because my wrists are getting sore easy
Seat - Touring Seat, anyone own a Lowered Seat?

This may be my third bike but it's the first bike I'll be putting aftermarket parts on so I'm really new when it comes to all of this. So I have no idea if I'm picking reliable manufacturers or not, just bits and pieces I've picked up from the internets.

The Ninja I didn't keep long enough, and the Shiver had horrible aftermarket support. I really want this to be my last bike for a while. Any and ALL input is welcome, I appreciate anyone who helps me with this.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I hope that when you say dealer, you don't mean Ducati dealer. You don't need to go to a dealer to purchase and install those parts. You'll get "raped" by the dealer on price and labor.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope that when you say dealer, you don't mean Ducati dealer. You don't need to go to a dealer to purchase and install those parts. You'll get "raped" by the dealer on price and labor.
What other choices do I have? I can't put these parts on myself I'm not that mechnically inclined. If anyone in Jersey wants to come and help me do it I'll take them out to dinner or something, but I can't do this on my own :\

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is someone in long island, Jay at Bick's Sunrise Cycle, who runs an independent service shop.

Maybe he can help.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The levers are literally screw on from the bottom, one nut each, unless you are getting a whole new mechanism, just the levers should only take about 2 minutes.

With the sliders are you getting frame sliders, or front axle sliders, or rear axle sliders...because with the front and rear axles all they do is bolt through, although if you are going to do the frame sliders, would go to a dealer if you are unsure of yourself because you actually have to take a support from the engine and replace it with the one that comes with the sliders...

I love my touring seat! Besides termis I think that it is one of the best mods out there, it really increases the overall rideability of the bike. That is easy to install as well, It pops right on like the regular seat does, with no mods.

I would try and do as many mods as you are comfortable with yourself, because you are going to get screwed with the rates for labor at the dealer. The instructions are usually very good with this stuff, and hey if you are that lost, consult us!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
What other choices do I have? I can't put these parts on myself I'm not that mechnically inclined. If anyone in Jersey wants to come and help me do it I'll take them out to dinner or something, but I can't do this on my own :\
you can try posting something on this board asking for recommendations on local independent shops or even ask if a member wants to come and help; others have done it and it's a good way to make new friends.
Make sure there are some cold ones ready for after the work.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The only way to learn is to TRY!

All of those installs are sooo sooo easy....

If you know how to use a screwdriver and socket wrench then you can install those items. Most have installation instructions as well....

If your gonna go spend some $$$ on mods, save the money you would paying someone to do it, purchase some tools

My monster is the first bike I have ever owned, and as of yet, with my buddy's help, we have installed a custom oil cooler and modded the front headlight to a single round one(both are completely custom installs and designs)....We have done a ton of other parts installs as well including exhaust, sliders, tail chop, etc.

Just take your time, do research, ask questions... In the end, it's cheaper and makes you feel like you accomplished something... This bike is sooo easy to work on, far easier than any car.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys,

I think I'll try the grips and levers, grips I guess is just taking off the end and sliding the old one off and the new one on? You guys make the levers sound pretty easy so I'll give that a shot.

But to be completely honest I don't really feel comfortable with the Horn or the Frame Slider. I know 0 about electronics and I dunno frame sliders just intimidates me.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks Guys,

I think I'll try the grips and levers, grips I guess is just taking off the end and sliding the old one off and the new one on? You guys make the levers sound pretty easy so I'll give that a shot.

But to be completely honest I don't really feel comfortable with the Horn or the Frame Slider. I know 0 about electronics and I dunno frame sliders just intimidates me.
Frame sliders are easy!!! Took about 10 mins max to install them... very very easy, just remove some bolts, and replace with sliders... instructions should come with the sliders

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm pretty far from being mechanically proficient, and I installed frame sliders and replacement levers on my monster this past weekend. As everyone said, both mods are extremely easy installs. The frame slider is basically just a long bolt with nuts on either end. Loosen the nuts, tap out the old bolt with the new one, and tighten everything up. Levers are even easier.

I hate electrical stuff, so I'd be hesitant to install the horn myself, but I'm sure you could figure it out pretty easily.

I also think the more things you do yourself, the more you'll feel you know your bike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in Northern NJ (Sparta) and willing to help you out if you need help, I always do all my work. I have a large garage with plenty of tools, you bring the beer.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Shorty Levers - CRG
Frame Sliders - R&G
Horn - Stebel Nautilus
Grip - Some sort of Grip because my wrists are getting sore easy
Seat - Touring Seat, anyone own a Lowered Seat?

If you get the right parts on your bike, it will be easy to install

The CRG "Roll-A-Click" Radial Brake Lever: 999/1098/S4RS is a nice lever, but it is nice to have a folding option that protects your lever in case you drop your bike so it does not leave you stranded.

Check these out:
MW Folding Brake Lever: 999/1098/S4RS/HM/SF-Black . These are much easier to adjust as well.

We found the SPEEDYMOTO Frame Slider: Mon,MS,SS,748,996,749D,SC, HM, M696 design the most effective and easiest to install.

These are some interesting grips:
Driven Racing D3 Grips The aluminum part of the grip is mounted under rubber.

But if you are looking for comfort, you might consider taller bars.

-M

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you get the right parts on your bike, it will be easy to install

The CRG "Roll-A-Click" Radial Brake Lever: 999/1098/S4RS is a nice lever, but it is nice to have a folding option that protects your lever in case you drop your bike so it does not leave you stranded.

Check these out:
MW Folding Brake Lever: 999/1098/S4RS/HM/SF-Black . These are much easier to adjust as well.

We found the SPEEDYMOTO Frame Slider: Mon,MS,SS,748,996,749D,SC, HM, M696 design the most effective and easiest to install.

These are some interesting grips:
Driven Racing D3 Grips The aluminum part of the grip is mounted under rubber.

But if you are looking for comfort, you might consider taller bars.

-M
Thanks for the tip about the Folding Levers Moto, I never knew that.

Oh and incase anyone was interested, my dealer was closed by the time I got there on Saturday so I havent' been able to talk to them :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts